Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Gotta' love Sega's sudden love for PC gaming. Generations was mind-blowing on PC, and I expect no less from this sequel.

Spark Of Spirit

STEEP HILLS

The level design seems a bit simple, though. The only fangame I've played was Sonic Megamix which was pretty impressive, does this stack up to that? It seems to have too many springs.

EDIT: The Classic Sonic levels in Generations are amazing. The level designs in Classic Sky Sanctuary and Classic Speed Highway are phenomenal. You guys are crazy.  :thinkin:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

BTS is awesome and its level design gets a lot better later on.

Some of the classic levels in Generations are really cool, like the two you mentioned and Crisis City, but I wasn't really as fond of the others as I was of the modern stages.

Spark Of Spirit

This thing is really long. I mean wow, that's a lot of effort for a fan game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The modern stages in Sonic Generations are overrated. Have any of you guys ever tried to speed-run Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, Crisis City, or Planet Wisp? Its far more frustrating than it is fun, and the game does have a precision problem that can screw you up at times (not as much as in pre-Colors Sonic games, tough, to be fair), which can be really frustrating if you get far into a level and screw up because Sonic misses one stupid homing attack causing him to fall to his death. Meanwhile, I felt that classic Sonic felt way more fluid to play as and I could never blame the game at any point if I screwed up on any of my runs. I know, because I S ranked all of the main levels as both classic and modern Sonic. Those 4 levels I did as modern Sonic were just flat-out not fun to try and speed-run through, even if they were challenging. I actually enjoyed playing through all of Sonic's classic stages even if I did die a shit-ton on Crisis City and Planet Wisp in trying to nail perfect runs of those levels.

With modern Sonic, though, I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of boosting. It takes skill to use properly, and it can be fun at times, but I honestly just don't consider it a very fun gameplay element, even if everyone else seems to love it. Meanwhile I've always been a sucker for the spin-dash and how you can chain it into a jump to clear massive amounts of distance in some levels if you get skilled at using it.

Spark Of Spirit

You don't have to boost to get S-Ranks in Generations. What I'm saying is that to me its case that the ability might as well be removed. All it did in Colors was take the focus away from the spindash, making it not very necessary there either.

I hope that's why this rumor is true because then I can play as characters without boosting (since that's a Sonic gimmick) much like I wanted to play as Tails in Sonic 4 to get away from the homing attack chains.

Planet Wisp and Crisis City modern have too many sections that break pacing and Sky Sanctuary hides all the alternate paths too well. Seaside Hill requires too much precision to speed run properly, I agree there. Every other stage is fun to speed run though, since there's more room for error.

And seriously, Sky Sanctuary Classic and Speed Highway Classic have the best level designs in any Sonic game since 3K. There's SO much to do. Chemical Plant is also really excellent if you veer from the (way too easy) main path, it has a lot of stuff going on.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 23, 2013, 10:58:34 PM
The modern stages in Sonic Generations are overrated.
Naw brah.

QuoteHave any of you guys ever tried to speed-run Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, Crisis City, or Planet Wisp?
I don't really speed-run games, but I do like playing through Sonic titles quite fast, and the only level I had trouble with was Crisis City, which is - admittedly - terrible. (Probably as a result of the game it's from.)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:05:02 PM
Planet Wisp and Crisis City modern have too many sections that break pacing
The classic version is far worse in that regard IMO. The spikes crap gets old after the third time.

Spark Of Spirit

Planet Wisp classic is enormous, though. Other than using too much spike, I have to applaud them on everything else. That level is impressive. Though yeah, it's too long.

I'd say the worst pair of levels goes to City Escape. Both are too linear and don't have enough variety for repeated plays (and that one red ring in Modern City Escape can burn). Crisis City's classic level is surprisingly good outside of some annoying lava pit placement.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
I'd say the worst pair of levels goes to City Escape. Both are too linear and don't have enough variety for repeated plays (and that one red ring in Modern City Escape can burn).
Personally, I'd say Green Hill since it's so basic. I really liked the skateboard/snowboard parts in City Escape.

QuoteCrisis City's classic level is surprisingly good outside of some annoying lava pit placement.
I love that bit with the fake level ending. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

I put a lot of time into the game, the levels are just really fun to play through over and over. They only needed an additional act per style to be perfected.

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2013, 11:17:21 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
I'd say the worst pair of levels goes to City Escape. Both are too linear and don't have enough variety for repeated plays (and that one red ring in Modern City Escape can burn).
Personally, I'd say Green Hill since it's so basic. I really liked the skateboard/snowboard parts in City Escape.
I like classic Green Hill for just being a good basic level without any gimmicks.

QuoteCrisis City's classic level is surprisingly good outside of some annoying lava pit placement.
I love that bit with the fake level ending. :lol:
That was ingenious. Especially when you're jumping over the cars and it passes by the front of the screen.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:21:16 PM
I put a lot of time into the game, the levels are just really fun to play through over and over. They only needed an additional act per style to be perfected.
Agreed. I've played every style of every level at least 5 times (well... every level except the final boss fight), not including challenges, and S-ranked every real stage.

EDIT: Oh, and I've beaten all the challenges too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2013, 11:10:00 PM
Naw brah.

Just my opinion, "brah." ;)

Although, it just so happens that my opinion does naturally come from a better taste in gaming. :>

QuoteI don't really speed-run games, but I do like playing through Sonic titles quite fast, and the only level I had trouble with was Crisis City, which is - admittedly - terrible. (Probably as a result of the game it's from.)

And there's one big difference right there in what forms our opinions. You play with a different goal in mind than I do. Playing the stages casually to have fun and occasionally to do a bit better on it is fine and on that level I can see why people would prefer the modern stages. However, trying to challenge yourself and get genuinely better at the game is where I noticed that getting good at those specific modern Sonic stages is just flat-out not fun. I had a ton of fun getting better at all of classic Sonic's stages, and it felt genuinely rewarding to get perfect runs on them (not just in terms of an S rank, but also in terms of getting my own personal best time on them as well). With the modern stages, 4 out of 9 of them started to fall apart on me when I played them on a deeper level and it became challenging in a very frustrating way. The reason I try to get better at games in the first place is because (as you know) I don't really have the funds to keep getting new games, so I just tend to replay the hell out of games like I like (and despite my complaints I DO still like Generations, overall). That ultimately is how I judge most games in general, not just Sonic games.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:05:02 PM
Planet Wisp and Crisis City modern have too many sections that break pacing
The classic version is far worse in that regard IMO. The spikes crap gets old after the third time.

Both versions of the level are the weakest levels for each respective Sonic. And yes, I'd take even Crisis City for modern Sonic in Generations over Planet Wisp. Why? Because while I find both levels to be kind of obnoxious in terms of gimmicks, at least Crisis City is fairly short. Planet Wisp is WAY too damn long for a Sonic level (both versions), IMO. I'm sure that the level itself is far better in Sonic Colors, but in all honestly it feels kind of out of place in Generations. I also thought that both of the Wisp power-ups that they chose to use were pretty lame and one-note.

Spark Of Spirit

Classic Sonic is boss. I want him to come back in something. Anything.

Foggle

What? I can beat any modern level in Generations without dying fairly easily, except for Crisis City which is kind of broken, and I've beaten half of them without even taking damage. I'm not really sure what you're talking about when you say getting "genuinely better", unless you mean improving your jumping skills and such.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:40:40 PM
Classic Sonic is boss. I want him to come back in something. Anything.
Sonic 4 Episode Thr--*is shot*