Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That first pit in Crisis City Modern was so mean it had to be intentional.

Honestly though, the only levels I had trouble speed-running were Planet Wisp Modern (whose first half is great, by the way) and Seaside Hill Classic (too much enemy bouncing to reach alternate paths) but otherwise I didn't have much issue.

I sped run both Speed Highways so much, though. They NAILED that level.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The only levels I've really tried to speedrun are Rooftop Run modern and both Speed Highways. Those are my three favorite levels in the game, easily.

Spark Of Spirit

Sky Sanctuary Classic was amazing. That level is absolutely huge with paths to go down and it took me forever to find the fastest path, but it was totally worth searching since they were all so good.

If they make another 2D Sonic game the levels should be something like that one, Chemical Plant Classic, and Speed Highway Classic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
Planet Wisp classic is enormous, though. Other than using too much spike, I have to applaud them on everything else. That level is impressive. Though yeah, it's too long.

I'd say the worst pair of levels goes to City Escape. Both are too linear and don't have enough variety for repeated plays (and that one red ring in Modern City Escape can burn). Crisis City's classic level is surprisingly good outside of some annoying lava pit placement.

I'm the exact opposite. I love both City Escape levels, but Planet Wisp just sucks. They take the best level from Sonic Colors and jam it full of crap. I get that it's the final level and all, but but the damn Wisps into background-cameo mode and just let us play the damn game.

The first half of Modern Planet Wisp is good though. It's when you get to the construction part where it falls apart.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can beat any Sonic Adventure level without dying fairly easily, but you like to insist that the game is more broken than its just as flawed sequel, despite the fact that I know that's a load of shit. That's besides the point, though, but I just thought that I'd bring it up, anyways. :sly:

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2013, 11:42:21 PM
What? I can beat any modern level in Generations without dying fairly easily, except for Crisis City which is kind of broken, and I've beaten half of them without even taking damage. I'm not really sure what you're talking about when you say getting "genuinely better", unless you mean improving your jumping skills and such.

You can beat it without dying yet you admit that you don't try to challenge yourself and speed-run the levels (getting the time necessary for an "S" rank is NOT what I'm talking about either, as that's VERY lenient in this game). Sonic Generations is an easy game if you just try to play through it normally or even just to "S" rank it. I can also easily beat any of the levels without dying or taking damage, when I'm not trying to be as fast as possible. Its when you try to beat your best time (i.e. get "genuinely better" at the game) by over a minute and run through the level that you start to notice where it can get challenging. In the classic stages, I had fun with the challenges I encountered in trying to get the best possible time that I could. In about half of modern Sonic's stages, I had a frustrating as fuck time trying to get my best possible times on the level. Apparently you didn't read that part of my post, so I just stated it again, here.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 24, 2013, 12:00:08 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
Planet Wisp classic is enormous, though. Other than using too much spike, I have to applaud them on everything else. That level is impressive. Though yeah, it's too long.

I'd say the worst pair of levels goes to City Escape. Both are too linear and don't have enough variety for repeated plays (and that one red ring in Modern City Escape can burn). Crisis City's classic level is surprisingly good outside of some annoying lava pit placement.

I'm the exact opposite. I love both City Escape levels, but Planet Wisp just sucks. They take the best level from Sonic Colors and jam it full of crap. I get that it's the final level and all, but but the damn Wisps into background-cameo mode and just let us play the damn game.

The first half of Modern Planet Wisp is good though. It's when you get to the construction part where it falls apart.
Modern Planet Wisp is pretty good at first in the nature half, but yeah it is way too long (and becomes entirely 2D for some reason) but I really do have a soft spot for Classic even though they totally overuse the spike and that it's too long. For some reason, I had fun speed-running that one even if I only got it down to the 4 minute mark.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, the becoming 2D-only makes it the only Modern stage (I think) where you don't run/boost/fly into the goal. You just kind of go up and it's... there.

Useless trivia.  .3.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 24, 2013, 12:03:24 AM
I can beat any Sonic Adventure level without dying fairly easily, but you like to insist that the game is more broken than its just as flawed sequel, despite the fact that I know that's a load of shit. That's besides the point, though, but I just thought that I'd bring it up, anyways. :sly:
I don't think Adventure is more broken than the sequel, I just have less problems playing the sequel than I do with the original. Crazy Gadget alone is proof that Adventure 2 is just as broken as 1.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I never had any problems in SA1 when the physics just... stopped working. Crazy Gadget was a good idea that would have worked better in Colors or Generations, it was too soon for Sonic Team to try something like that in 3D.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 24, 2013, 12:16:53 AM
I dunno, I never had any problems in SA1 when the physics just... stopped working. Crazy Gadget was a good idea that would have worked better in Colors or Generations, it was too soon for Sonic Team to try something like that in 3D.
I wouldn't say the physics stopped working, I just think the camera angles were so utterly horrible that figuring out what to do was like solving a mystery.

talonmalon333

I haven't really been following the current discussion. But I'd like to say that, between the two Adventure games, the most broken level is that Rouge level in outer space.

Spark Of Spirit

Anyone remember this trailer?

That trailer was why I almost completely ignored Sonic until around Colors.

Foggle

Jesus, I had forgotten about that abomination of a trailer.

Avaitor

I liked it until Shadow shot at the screen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington