Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Eddy on May 01, 2013, 03:41:15 AM
I realize I like every level in Sonic Generations except Planet Wisp.

My main problem with Planet Wisp in Generations is that classic and modern Sonics get only 1 wisp ability each, and the level just feels long and drawn out without having the same feeling of variety that it does in Sonic Colors. Its really a waste, because they could have made that the most re-playable level if they threw more wisp abilities in their for each Sonic, and had more of an emphasis on using them to find secrets and such, just like in the actual Sonic Colors levels.

Nel_Annette

The Planet Wisp levels drag on too long, and spend way too much time in the industrial area. And making the Wisp powers mandatory was a no-no. Should've just kept the Wisps as a background cameo. I get that it's the last level, but they took my favorite one from Sonic Colors and ruined it.

That and the musical remixes had nothing on the originals.

EDIT: By the way, one of the YT people I watch put up an interview he did with Mike Pollock about a year and a half back, if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOpy-eI_4ts

Spark Of Spirit

Colors had more content and held together better as a package, but Generations has higher highs and the 3D parts of the level design is better.

I like Classic Planet Wisp despite the overuse of pink wisp because of how many ways there is through the level, but I do admit it is an acquired taste. I think we can all agree the first half of Modern Planet Wisp is excellent, though.

Quote from: Foggle on April 30, 2013, 10:04:54 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2013, 10:03:19 PM
Sonic Generation's classic style of levels are of course nowhere near as good as actual classic Sonic, but I enjoyed them fairly well. I'd at least take them over a game that was designed to be more like the 3D segments of that game. Sorry, but the more I've played that game, the more I've come to realize just how bland the design of modern 3D Sonic is from both a gameplay and level design stand-point. It just gets more and more boring for me on replays.
I feel literally the exact opposite of you.
This is why they have to continue both styles.

Though fans like me who enjoy both win either way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
Rumor: New Sonic game to be revealed next month

QuoteOne source has shared what they allege to be details about the new game. The game?s title doesn?t appear to be finalized yet, but its platforms are. It will be released on Wii U, PS3, 360, 3DS, PS Vita, PC, and ?Next gen? consoles.

QuoteThe source elaborates that the console version of this new game will be sticking with the recent formula seen in Sonic Unleashed (Daytime), Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations where gameplay switches between full 3D movement and 2D side-scrolling sections. Multiple routes through a stage will return, but this time you will have an incentive to play through them all. Each route in a stage will lead to one of two or three exits at the end that will each take you to a different stage. You will always end up at the same final stage, though. Our source says final stage count hasn?t been decided, but the developers are trying for a least 20 diferent stages, not including boss battles.

QuoteCharacter wise, our source says you will begin the game with Sonic and unlock other characters to play as by completing stages. It?s been made clear that this doesn?t mean 20+ characters are available, though. ?For example, you might unlock Knuckles in any one of three stages. Sometimes, if you already have a character that would be unlocked first, a different one may be unlocked. Altogether we?re looking at about 10 different characters to play with, and no, Sonic isn?t getting any new friends. All of the playable characters will be existing Sonic characters.?

Our source goes on to explain that each character will have their own skills to help them progress in stages easier where others will have more difficulty or simply cannot ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Sonic Advance series. One example described involves Sonic and Shadow not being able to make it up a wall, while Tails can easily fly up there or Knuckles can climb, allowing them access to an exit Sonic and Shadow can?t reach. Despite that, our source assures us that stages can be replayed with any character of your choice, though.

So basically it looks like this game's main sell is exploration and branching paths with S3&K style character choices. I'm definitely interested in where this is going if it's true.
Thank God they are finally doing multiple exits.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 23, 2013, 10:58:34 PM
The modern stages in Sonic Generations are overrated. Have any of you guys ever tried to speed-run Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, Crisis City, or Planet Wisp? Its far more frustrating than it is fun, and the game does have a precision problem that can screw you up at times (not as much as in pre-Colors Sonic games, tough, to be fair), which can be really frustrating if you get far into a level and screw up because Sonic misses one stupid homing attack causing him to fall to his death. Meanwhile, I felt that classic Sonic felt way more fluid to play as and I could never blame the game at any point if I screwed up on any of my runs. I know, because I S ranked all of the main levels as both classic and modern Sonic. Those 4 levels I did as modern Sonic were just flat-out not fun to try and speed-run through, even if they were challenging. I actually enjoyed playing through all of Sonic's classic stages even if I did die a shit-ton on Crisis City and Planet Wisp in trying to nail perfect runs of those levels.

With modern Sonic, though, I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of boosting. It takes skill to use properly, and it can be fun at times, but I honestly just don't consider it a very fun gameplay element, even if everyone else seems to love it. Meanwhile I've always been a sucker for the spin-dash and how you can chain it into a jump to clear massive amounts of distance in some levels if you get skilled at using it.
Exactly how I feel.

talonmalon333

I didn't like Sonic Colors much. The 3D gameplay was just no fun for me. So I don't feel like I'm missing much by having not played Generations yet.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 30, 2013, 09:04:22 PM
Quote- Level titled ?Shattered Heights? will be reminiscent of New York
- Will consist of Sonic and Tails breaking through tall buildings as humans gasp in horror

Sounds like good stuff all around.
QuoteNo it does not. New York anything needs to retire from games and we especially don't need it in Sonic titles.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 05, 2013, 12:58:36 PM
No it does not. New York anything needs to retire from games
Even Max Payne? :happytime:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2013, 01:01:22 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 05, 2013, 12:58:36 PM
No it does not. New York anything needs to retire from games
Even Max Payne? :happytime:
It worked for 3.  :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 05, 2013, 12:52:58 PM
I didn't like Sonic Colors much. The 3D gameplay was just no fun for me. So I don't feel like I'm missing much by having not played Generations yet.
The 3D sections are the biggest improvement from Sonic Colors.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Lost World has been announced:

It's exclusive to Wii-U and 3DS and Nintendo is helping to publish it. It will be out by fall around the time of the next 3D Mario.

There were apparently leaked photos that were taken down rather fast that seem to confirm six "guardians" as some sort of bosses. The game will apparently have more info revealed on the 29th.

Foggle

Looks cool! So is it going to be like Mario Galaxy and Going Commando/Crack In Time with spherical world levels?

Spark Of Spirit

The art style looks like Sonic Colors and Sonic CD meets Super Mario Galaxy. If the rumors that Nintendo helped with development is true then I expect this to top even Colors and Generations.

Imagining this in 3D should be great:

Spark Of Spirit

Here's a hint at what the unannounced Sonic game might be...

Though it could just be wishful thinking.

I'm personally holding out for a Mario and Sonic platformer.

Also a hint about Lost World:

Quote"With 'Sonic Lost World,' we're going to introduce new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun," said John Cheng, president and chief financial officer of Sega of America Inc. "In terms of Sonic and his friends, he'll have his same friends there, and I think there'll be some new ones as well. It's not a reiteration. It's going to be all new."
I wonder if this will be that "Classic Sonic in 3D" style they were hinting at trying?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 08:35:27 PM

I'm personally holding out for a Mario and Sonic platformer.

I can't see that working. Mario and Sonic's gameplay are quite different. They'd need Mario to somehow keep up with Sonic's speed.