Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2013, 03:46:56 PM
Surprised to see Sonic 1 so high. Dump that off down to the bottom and you basically have my list. :thumbup:

Sonic 1 on the bottom? :'(

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2013, 03:47:46 PM
I just like its identity crisis more than most.  ;)

What do you mean?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 28, 2013, 04:04:12 PM
Of those 10 games (aside from Sonic 8-bit)? Yes. Of all Sonic games ever? No.

Spark Of Spirit

I also didn't rate every Sonic game I've played. Sonic Heroes wouldn't rate too high, I'd reckon.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2013, 03:47:46 PM
I just like its identity crisis more than most.  ;)

What do you mean?
The slower levels interspersed with the faster levels, and the gimmick levels. It's not as straightforward as Sonic 2 or 3&K, but I like that difference. It was the first Sonic game and they were still feeling things out. Most people don't like the weird things like Marble Zone or Labyrinth Zone which I like (other than Labyrinth Zone Act 2 and the boss) and enjoy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Picked up Lost World. Beautiful game. Great music. Fun story. Level design really does feel like a Super Sonic Galaxy shtick.

But almost every level has made me facepalm at the level design and gameplay. Sonic has a separate button to run. *Sonic* has a separate button to run. Fucking ridiculous. The placement of the buttons makes it extremely awkward to control and I'm hating it. L-Trigger to spindash, R-trigger to run fast, R-bumper to use Wisp. I keep forgetting how to bounce attack. The bosses are terrible. Wall climbing is also awkward. Definitely a step down from the last two games for sure.

Foggle

How is the camera? In the videos I've seen, it looks like it's extremely difficult to see where you're going at times.

Nel_Annette

It is.  :oo: A lot of shit can get in the way at times depending on the perspective.

Oh, and I just game-overed. They brought back forced-running levels, only now with Mario Galaxy gravity gimmicks and if you run into a wall, you die. Fan-freaking-tastic, Sega.

I'm turning the game off so I can start up Assassin's Creed 4. Screw this for now.

Spark Of Spirit

I dig the controls, actually. Homing attacks and double jumps flow together really well and the spindash is amazing. Parkour took no time at all to adjust to, and the run button was a great addition to let me control my speed. So far it's rather fun. I'm not sure ho hard wall running is to get, though. I've had no problem, especially since you can spindash up them to gain speed up the walls.

I know the whole double jump/homing attack/kick attack thing is a bit complex, but I got used to it pretty fast. Y is crawl, roll, bounce attack, and kick attack, while B is always double jump, and A is for normal homing attack.

I'm only on the third level and have gotten all the red rings so far, but I'm really digging it.

(No camera issues thus far)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

You and I have got to be playing two different games then.  :lol:

Can't get past boss two. It's the spinning attack. I don't get how I'm supposed to wall climb. I run up it, but I can't spin dash on it.

It's almost like there's too many controls. I can't memorize all this shit, especially when the buttons are so far apart.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 29, 2013, 04:43:43 PM
You and I have got to be playing two different games then.  :lol:
I can understand how it could be hard to get into, but I just slid right into it. I was actually kind of worried I wouldn't like it, but so far I really do.  ;D

For the second boss just time your wall runs and jump off at the peak of the jump. When he's going slow you only have to jump off once but when he's fast you just do it as fast you can on each wall.

As for controls, I don't know what to tell you except to get used to them. I'm not sure why I adapted so quick, (maybe I've played too many platformers) but the spindash, run button, and wall running give you many more options for control. I honestly think this is the best Sonic's ever controlled in 3D. About the only thing it needs is some more momentum and slopes, but everything else I find quite fun. The homing attack is pretty awesome, too, especially when you can jump out of one or into one while after or during a double jump. Everything flows better, I think.

I just beat world three and I'm taking a break. I got all the red rings, but only unlocked the bonus level in Tropical Coast. I'm not sure how those work just yet.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2013, 04:05:23 PM

Why would you put it below all those games?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 29, 2013, 10:01:57 PM

Because I only really like 2 of the 6 worlds.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 29, 2013, 10:29:31 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 29, 2013, 10:01:57 PM

Because I only really like 2 of the 6 worlds.
Labyrinth and Scrap Brain, I take it.

talonmalon333

I have a question for you guys. I just want to know what you think.

If Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were not the first 3D Sonic games, do you think they would've gotten the great reception that they did? Or do you think people would've seen them in the same light as later games (mainly games like Sonic Unleashed, not Sonic 2006 which is a disaster on a whole other level)?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you want to be technical, they really weren't the first 3D Sonic games. Sonic R and The Fighters came out before them. They were, however, the first main series Sonic games to be in full 3D graphics.

As for your question, they probably would be panned as much as most Sonic games these days, but on that note I still enjoy them more than Colors and Generations, and those are probably the best reviewed 3D Sonic games.

Foggle

Don't forget Sonic 3D Blast and Sega Sonic! Or forget them. It's probably best to.