Animation Revelation Shoutbox

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 04:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yikes. Speaking of tv.com, I went onto the site to check out the episode guides for Archer, and wow are they empty. I don't think that's their MO anymore, however. Based on what I see when I go on the front page, they seem to want to compete with the AV Club or something, but that's just like fetch- it's not going to happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on February 05, 2014, 03:25:31 PM
it's almost been a decade since I started posting on message boards, tv.com included, so it's no surprise that I'd feel embarrassed by myself back then. If you haven't changed at all in 10 years, something's gotta be up with you.

Yeah, I originally started joining message boards back in January 2004. I can't imagine looking at my first posts on IGN from back then. I remember being such a suck-up, bandwagoning little shit. :lol:

King Hippo

I didn't join message boards until I was 23, when I joined Arlong Park and Toon Zone. Of course I didn't last long at TZ, mostly because I kept cussing out BCVM22 and digilover15 aka gatomatt aka Matt Crandall. On Arlong Park my time was longer, but still I didn't do very well. Before I got banned Lobolover invited me to Quexinos' forum Fun Piece, which was supposed to be an alternative to AP. I had a blast there at first, chatting it up irreverently with Lobster Pot-Sticker, Tsukento, and Dragon Warrior.

Of course, there was only one problem: Quexinos was a fucking moron who didn't know how to run a forum.

The whole place degenerated into endless trolling and spamming. She refused to ever punish those responsible and punished me when I complained about it. Demon Rin, who created the forum with her, was chased away by the trolls. After a while I stopped trying to be a decent member and just started trolling and annoying those assholes because it was the only fun thing to do. I was banned, but kept coming back under different names. Eventually the forum was DDOS'd and got deleted, but was resurrected as The Velvet Room, which is just a clubhouse for 5 or so people.

What a fucking waste.

Avaitor

I remember hearing about Arlong Park, how it started off as a better altnerative to Fun Piece which deteriorated fast. Where do OP fans go to talk about the show now?

And whatever happened to RomanMack?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

King Hippo

Quote from: Avaitor on February 06, 2014, 07:08:39 AM
I remember hearing about Arlong Park, how it started off as a better altnerative to Fun Piece which deteriorated fast. Where do OP fans go to talk about the show now?

You've got it backwards. Arlong Park started way back in 2003. Fun Piece didn't come until 2008.

Arlong Park is pretty much the place to go for One Piece, although it's nowhere near as active as back in the 4Kids days.

He got banned from AP and TZ many years ago, and has never really been heard from since. I don't know whether he was serious about the way he acted or whether it was all an act, but I don't care. I'm embarrassed I ever cared so much about that chode.

Avaitor

Quote from: Zac Bertschy's Sex Slave on February 06, 2014, 08:04:38 AM

You've got it backwards. Arlong Park started way back in 2003. Fun Piece didn't come until 2008.

Arlong Park is pretty much the place to go for One Piece, although it's nowhere near as active as back in the 4Kids days.
oh, okay, my bad.

New blog!

King Hippo

2006 was a crazy year for AP. There was so much to talk about. So much bitching about the shittiness of the episodes. Also speculation about how badly the games would be butchered. There were also a gazillion threads about Al Kahn.

Ah, memories.

Avaitor

I'm changing the subject, but since we were talking about bronies not that long ago, is it just me, or have the normal fans of MLP gone away in lieu of the creepier ones? It seems like the less dedicated ones have kind of stopped caring, and most of who are left are in the Molestia crowd.

That's only from what I've noticed among the fans I tend to talk to. Also keep in mind that I was never a big fan to begin with and stopped caring for good after season 2.

New blog!

King Hippo

The show is getting old. Most little kids (and that IS who the show is made for) can't follow something for over three years without either getting bored or growing out of it. My best guess is that their fanbase simply is moving on.

As for the older ones, i don't think there were many normal fans to begin with. 99% of all the older MLP fans I've seen are creeps and freaks in one way or another. Either sexual deviants or just DeviantArt-style losers.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm sure the people on this forum who watch the show appreciate that sentiment.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on February 06, 2014, 10:38:00 AM
I'm changing the subject, but since we were talking about bronies not that long ago, is it just me, or have the normal fans of MLP gone away in lieu of the creepier ones? It seems like the less dedicated ones have kind of stopped caring, and most of who are left are in the Molestia crowd.

That's only from what I've noticed among the fans I tend to talk to. Also keep in mind that I was never a big fan to begin with and stopped caring for good after season 2.

I can only speak for myself, but the novelty wore off sometime in 2012, and I'm still struggling to finish watching season 3. The memes and the fan comics and side projects that originally got me into watching the show? Over them. Ponies The Anthology was what originally made me check out the show, and when they released a second and third, they weren't the little 26-minute special the original was, but these hour-long, bloated things.

The fanbase? Well, like you said, most of the "normal" ones have gone quiet or just plain gotten over the show, and the ones that remain are the creepy, over-obsessed fans that over-analyze every little thing. That said, I still think it's a good show, but once the novelty wore off, you can see all the flaws and it's just another show.

I do still want to check out the comic book series, though. The artwork looks amazing.

LumRanmaYasha

Recently he returned to Tz under the name Rome25, and continually whined about One Piece's ratings and being overly pessimistic about it and overeacting to ASMB commenters who call it a "failure." He didn't seem to get that those people on the ASMB boards just flat out hate One Piece and his obnoxious obsession for it just strengthened their disfavor of it. Now, the people on Toonzone are a more rational bunch (for the most part), but he still wouldn't stop his annoying drama because of his skewed view of One Piece's treatment. Really, he was just getting on everyone's nerves and de-railing the ratings thread, and wouldn't stop even after several logical arguments as to why One Piece is doing just fine. Eventually, he got banned again. It was an obnoxious couple of weeks, but at least he didn't de-rail the thread to the point where it had to be closed and re-started, like with RabidInuYashaFan.   

As for MLP, I'm pretty sure that the devoted fanbase is still there, but the hype and excitement over the internet for it has just lessened. Granted, one of my roomates and his friends are huge fans of the show and are watching things related to it constantly, so my viewpoint may be a little skewed because of that. The only boards/forums I visit are here and Toonzone, after all. I, for one, got tired of the show after season 2, and found season 3 to be generally mediocre with only one or two very entertaining episodes. I tried watching a bit of season 4, but couldn't get into it, so I'm done for now at least. I never watched much or was into any of the memes/side projects/fan things made by bronies, and am still not, so I can't comment on that stuff, though I did think that SCAD student's thesis project was very well done.

talonmalon333

I don't regret never making an account on that site.

As for My Little Pony, it's a bit weird the way some people can obsess over it. Not like it's the first show like that, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still a MLP fan.

I've never interacted with the fanbase, however, and I don't shout about from the skies. It's just a show I'm a fan of.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

King Hippo

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 06, 2014, 11:30:19 AM
I'm sure the people on this forum who watch the show appreciate that sentiment.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm just going by what I've noticed over the years.

Besides, I didn't say they all were like that.