Resident Evil: A thread for the undead!

Started by Eddy, April 10, 2012, 09:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

With all the buzz about Resident Evil 6 surfacing I figured I'd start up a Resident Evil thread. Feel free to discuss anything Resident Evil! From the cheesy beginnings on the original PlayStation to the "this isn't a horror game anymore" woes of Resident Evil 5. And everything in between and beyond!

I'm actually getting excited for Resident Evil 6. I mean, it certainly looks like it has a better grasp on Resident Evil than RE5 did (and, worth noting, I still liked RE5). Here's hoping it doesn't become another Gears of War game with Resident Evil characters!

I still stand by the belief that the best game in the series is the remake of the original on the GameCube. That one just did everything right in terms of a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 4 is a close second because, though it went more actiony, it's a damn fine game.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on April 10, 2012, 09:39:04 PM
I still stand by the belief that the best game in the series is the remake of the original on the GameCube. That one just did everything right in terms of a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 4 is a close second because, though it went more actiony, it's a damn fine game.
Damn, I must have accidentally logged into your account. Sorry about that.

Yeah, RE 6 looks amazing. Easily shaping up to be the best one since 4. I mean, Revelations was a nice action-horror installment, but it was RE 3 good, not RE 2 good, y'know?

Eddy

I still have to get a 3DS so I can play Revelations.

And, I have to come clean, I have yet to play RE3 and Code Veronica. One of these days I'll get to them, I swear!

Spark Of Spirit

Revelations' demo was pretty good. It reminded me a lot more of 4 than it did 5, with the tone of the old games.

Like I've said many times, I've always wanted to get into survival horror games, but the controls were just a huge barrier of entry for me. I like being in full control of where I want to go at the drop of a hat, something 4 and Revelations offered me. I don't really care if it makes them easier, IMO it makes them more fun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Revelations is good, but a lot of it feels very uninspired. It's fun and creepy (at times), but it never even approaches the greatness of RE 4. The scanner and action levels drag it down a lot.

Eddy

I can understand where people are coming from when they say the tank controls of the old REs prevented them from getting into the game but, honestly, I never had much of a problem adapting. Though it's worth noting I have a hard time playing the PlayStation versions of the Resident Evil games. My first RE game was REmake and I felt the GameCube controller worked perfect with Resident Evil.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been trying to adapt for well over a decade now. I simply can't do it.

That's mainly why I was able to beat Deadly Premonition since the camera was locked behind me... Most of the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

If they could make a remake of the remake of the original (reREmake?) with a RE4-styled camera I think I would wet myself.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on April 10, 2012, 10:32:19 PM
If they could make a remake of the remake of the original (reREmake?) with a RE4-styled camera I think I would wet myself.
I'd love that. A remake of 2, 3, and CV like that would be sweet, too.

Avaitor

I don't get why they haven't done that yet. You'd think there would be a huge demand for remakes of the old RE games with 4's engine.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Don't expect remakes of 2 and 3 until next-gen, if ever. And don't expect any remakes of CV or 0 - or another remake of 1 - at all.

Pretty cool preview from IGN. Makes Leon's game sound really interesting and enjoyable.

RE 6 has so much content packed onto the disc that it reminds me of what Capcom used to be. :(

Eddy

:shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake:

That made me even more hyped for Resident Evil 6 than I already was. Oh god, this game can't come out soon enough.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm really glad that this game's release date got pushed back to October. Now I can get it for my birthday on that month. ;D

gunswordfist

I was a sucker for tank controls and probably still am. I'd likely go through that horribleness again just to re-experience that whole survival horror experience. I also want to get all the good Silent Hills and Dino Crisis 1 and 2.

I've only played Resident Evil Nemesis and one disc of Leon for RE2. I didn't even know Leon had 2 discs until years later. :D I definitely want to finish Resident Evil 2. Nemesis was my first time experiencing RE so I will always have a soft spot for it despite all the criticism it gets.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Leon is the first disc, Claire is the second. But Leon technically has two stories; his game is pretty different if you play Claire's disc first.

I don't really think Nemesis deserves most of the criticism it gets. Sure, it's kind of lazy and at times uninspired, but it's still a great game.