The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

I've read the AnJ manga and watched the compilation films for MSG, so I can watch those episodes without any concerns.  I've never watched TROV so I'm not sure how it will be out of context, but I'll still vote since I know I'll be able to properly judge 3 of the 4 eps in this round.

Pharass

Farewell, Rikiishi Toru
Fersen, a Farewell Rondeau
Pierrot Le Fou
A Cosmic Glow

Good match.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

A Cosmic Glow
Farewell, Rikiishi Toru
Pierrot Le Fou
Fersen, a Farewell Rondeau

I'm passing on TROV for now, but even then, I feel like I should probably put "Pierrot Le Fou" last. It's one of the best Bebop episodes, but I've become a little burned out on the show in recent years, and the other episodes are stronger.

But man, those AnJ and Gundam episode are fantastic. Don't skip the MSG if you get the chance, btw. Brad Swaille is a great Amuro.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" - One of the most tragic and emotionally poignant episodes that I have seen from any piece of animation. Never let the age of something fool you. Truly great writing and stories are timeless. That's about as much as I can say without giving away any major spoilers.

"A Cosmic Glow" - Wow, I didn't expect to get that into something that I'm seeing out of context, but it's a great tinder that I really need to get around to this franchise soon. I didn't appreciate Gundam enough when I was younger, but I have a feeling that it would resonate more with me now.

"Fersen, A Farewell Rondeau" - Much like Gundam, I REALLY want to watch TROV. That said, this was once again an interesting experience despite me watching it out of order.

"Pierrot Le Fou" - A truly classic piece of animation that I appreciate more and more with time for its use of strong visual storytelling.

These rounds are brutal....

Avaitor

The original MSG is a little dated, as you can definitely tell that it's a product of the 70's, but the core characterizations are very well-written, and the story itself holds up well. The movies are probably the best way to watch it, but I do think the show is worth going through as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

"Pierrot le Fou" -
Spoiler
This is one of the most well-crafted episodes of not only Bebop, but in any show. It is a gripping and bone-chilling action-horror story with phenomenal use of creepy imagery and eerie music, with a villain at once both sympathetic and mortifying. Both fights between Spike and Pierrot are brutal and drip with tension and are easily the best action scenes in whole show. It's one of the most cinematic episodes in a regular cinematic show, and an episode I've revisited regularly.
[close]

"Fersen, A Farewell Rondeau" -
Spoiler
The love triangle between Oscar, Marie, and Fersen is truly tragic. Marie and Fersen's illicit relationship makes them the subject of awful rumors and fuels the resentment against her and the monarchy in the face of France's growing poverty. Marie is completely caught up in her romance; she can't bear to be a single second away from Fersen, though she knows the rumors swirling around and feels ostracized and alone. Fersen knows that their affair is putting Marie at risk and is amoral, but he can't hold himself back from meeting with her, and displaying his affections publicly. Oscar is loyal to Marie to a fault, knowing that she is the only person Marie can trust to be her confidant. But while she desires her happiness above all else, she too has unrequited feelings for Fersen despite knowing that they both truly love each other. She's conflicted between her loyalty to Marie, her friendship with Fersen, and her love for both of them. Ultimately, she is able to help them save face by dancing with Marie at the party, taking attention away from her and Fersen and preventing them from spending time together that night. This has an unintended consequence, however. That night gives Fersen a moment of clarity, and he realizes that so long as he's around Marie the rumors about them and the danger to her will continue, so he leaves off for America - to be away from both in distance and in time, hopefully allowing both of them to move on. Which is heartbreaking for everyone involved. That scene at the end where Andre leaves Oscar alone to shed a solitary tear for Fersen's leave, hoping for his safe return, is tear-jerking itself.
[close]

"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" -
Spoiler
Joe dealing with the aftermath of Rikiishi's death, and the emptiness and guilt he feels over it, is painful to watch. As is seeing him run away from all the people who care about him at the end of the episode. Everyone else has come to terms with Rikiishi's death, and is trying to move on, but he still can't accept it and has lost all purpose and meaning in his life without Rikiishi as his friend and rival. It's a tragic and powerful emotional breakdown, beginning one of the lowest and darkest periods in Joe's life.
[close]

"A Cosmic Glow" -
Spoiler
The visuals employed in the aftermath of Lala's death and her mental communications with Amuro are absolutely gorgeous. It's among the show's most tragic and poignant moments too, as Amuro and Char kill Lala as a result of their blind grudge, and inability to communicate and reason with one another. In the end, Amuro still believes in a future where everyone will be able to communicate their thoughts and feelings with each other in the same way that he and Lala could, bringing humanity closer together and ending such needless, costly bloodshed.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Cowboy Bebop #20: "Pierrot le Fou" - 11
Ashita no Joe #52: "Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" - 16
Mobile Suit Gundam #40: "A Cosmic Glow" - 13
Rose of Versailles #20: "Fersen, a Farewell Rondeau" - 10

"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" and "A Cosmic Glow" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

Avaitor

We've finally hit a match that's all new to me!

I'll try to catch up with these ASAP.

New blog!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

"Parallel Worlds! Where's Darling?!"
"The Eclipse"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"
"I Won't Rely on Anyone Anymore"

So that's Madoka? I don't like it at all. :D

That UY is a lot of fun, though. And I really should go past episode 10 (or wherever I stopped) of Berserk.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 07, 2016, 01:07:40 PM
"The Eclipse"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"

While it probably wouldn't be your cup of tea anyways, I think it's rather unfair to judge an entire show based on a pivotal episode seen out of context. That's actually my favorite episode of the entire show. But, whatevs....

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 07, 2016, 01:24:33 PM
"The Eclipse"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"

While it probably wouldn't be your cup of tea anyways, I think it's rather unfair to judge an entire show based on a pivotal episode seen out of context. That's actually my favorite episode of the entire show. But, whatevs....
That is fair.

Are there more episodes nominated for this game? I'll still give them a shot.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on August 07, 2016, 01:35:47 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 07, 2016, 01:24:33 PM
"The Eclipse"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"

That is fair.

Are there more episodes nominated for this game? I'll still give them a shot.

"I Won't Rely on Anyone Anymore" was the only episode of Madoka Magica nominated for this tournament.

It's my favorite episode of the show as well. But while it's self-contained enough to make sense as a stand-alone episode, it has far more meaning and emotional power if you've watched the story and Homura as a character develop up until this point...

Spoiler
...as this episode provides a critical and heart-breaking insight on who had until this point been an enigmatic and emotionally distant character. Homura is my favorite character in PMMM in large part because of this story, and her evolution from a shy, dependent but optimistic girl into an emotionally hardened and cynical wreck who's on the verge of breaking down from countless miserable and traumatic experiences and her poisonous obsession and love for Madoka, which culminates in her becoming the devil to her god-like status in Rebellion in order to create an world in which they can live together free from the burden of being Magical Girls.
[close]