The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Yeah, I haven't had the time to check these out this week, so I'm going to have to pass as well. I'm sorry.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm. Well, I don't want to move any of these episodes on with only my votes, but I don't want to sit around and wait since it's already been a week. So I'll just leave this match inactive for now and we'll come back to it after the next couple are through.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Take the order that it's listed in and just switch places with DBZ and JoJo's and that's my ranking for this match.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Justice two parter is so cool, funny and kind of creepy!! I miss Enyaba.

LumRanmaYasha

"The History of Trunks" -
Spoiler
I never thought much of Trunks as a character in the Cell arc, though I like him more now as he's had great development in the current Super arc. Regardless of how I felt about Trunks, though, I've always considered The History of Trunks special as one of the finest episodes of the anime. Trunks and Gohan's relationship is compelling, and Future Gohan is a fascinating character in how he takes upon both Goku and Piccolo's roles as hero and mentor respectively for Trunks, while still clearly being haunted and afflicted by trauma in his past (him screaming in bed at the Androids is probably the most unnerving moment in the entire special). One can argue that this special is mostly just four long fights with the Androids, but all those fights are really interesting and arguably some of the best in the series, with great choreography, use of setting, tension, and pacing. Especially Trunks' final battle with the androids at the end of the special, where the evening colors become a harsh shade of orange-red which really adds another layer of intensity to what's happening on screen. Easily one of the best looking and adapted parts of the anime.
[close]

"Marquis de Carabas" -
Spoiler
My favorite FLCL episode, mainly because I find Ninamori a very interesting character in how she claims that the scandals her family is involved in and her parents' divorce is "no bid deal" to her and people think she's very mature for her age, but internally she is very distressed by what's happening, still thinks of herself as a kid, and rigged the votes so she could get the lead role in the play in hopes that her parents would see it together. She makes an interesting contrast with Naota, who denies he's still a kid but at the same time is much more childish and less independent than Ninamori.
[close]

"The Spell of Reticence is Having Fun with English Conversation/The Crisis Spell is the Other Side of Goodbye" -
Spoiler
The first segment is one of the funniest episodes of any anime ever and I've rewatched it dozens of times over the years and always get a kick out of it. Engrish has never been funnier. Also, I can actually relate to it on the level that I'd practice French with friends in High School like this back in the day and no doubt sounded just as silly and moronic as the girls do in this episode. The second segment I don't watch quite as much, but it's also pretty hilarious. This episode as a whole ranks highly among my favorite and funniest anime episodes list.
[close]

"Justice Part 2" -
Spoiler
Enyaba is a fun foil who you kinda sympathize with and the shit she puts Polnareff through is hilarious. Jotaro also gets one of his best moments at the end of the episode in how he outwits Enyaba with the hotel registry and has Star Platinum literally suck up Justice, which is both hilarious and awesome at the same time.
[close]

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

Could you vote tonight GSF? I probably won't be online again until next friday so I want to put up the next match in the interim. 

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks!

Results:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: #15: "Justice Part 2" - 11
Dragon Ball Z TV Special: "Defiance in the Face of Despair!! The Remaining Super-Warriors: Gohan and Trunks" - 15
FLCL #3: "Marquis de Carabas" - 9
Magipoka episode #11: "The Spell of Reticence is Having Fun with English Conversation/The Crisis Spell is the Other Side of Goodbye" - 5

"Justice Part 2" and "The History of Trunks move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

"And Then There Were None" -
Spoiler
This is such a great horror-focused episode and take on Agatha Christie's classic novel. Simultaneously beautiful and chilling imagery with a mystery that keeps you on your toes and feeling the heartbreak of the characters even though you know that none of them are really dead (or, at least are going to stay dead). The scene where Ataru finds Lum's body in the shower and freaks out always gets me. The reveal of what really happened is so great too, as is the note the episode ends on. Another one of my all-time fav UY episodes.
[close]

"The More Precious The Burden, The Heavier and More Difficult It Is To Shoulder It" -
Spoiler
One of the most visually inspired Gintama episodes that really takes already excellent material to the next level. Love the black and white, heavy-shadowed aesthetic used for the flashback with Shoyo and the climax of Gintoki's fight with Jiraya, as well as the monochrome-style color palettes for Jiraya's flashback. On a character standpoint, there is so much going on with Gintoki, Tsukuyo, and even Zenzou's character arcs in this episode, but Gintoki's remarks about the relationships between students and teachers in this episode are especially poignant and sting in retrospect when you learn more about his relationship with Shoyou and his tragic past in later episodes. To me, this episode is truly representative of the Gintama anime's visual and dramatic strengths, as well as the series excellent characterization and character development.
[close]

"Miracle of Doha" -
Spoiler
This episode places a great focus on the close relationship between Mutta and Hibito and how they have watched out for each other since they were kids and have inspired each other in equal measure. Very heartwarming, and their relationship truly is the core and heart of the series, and this is a very representative example of it.
[close]

"Road to the Touno Yokai Battle -Part One-" -
Spoiler
This is the first episode to really dive into the series' intricate and fleshed out mythology and lore, exploring the origins of Hakumen no Mono and the yokai's hatred of Ushio's mother, as well as hinting at Tora's past and origins. It's the first to truly indicate the scale of the series and it's world, and place weight on the task and threats facing Ushio and Tora both internally and externally going forward.
[close]