Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I didn't know you moderated on Twitch.

gunswordfist

Not a site mod. Just for a few friends' channels.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Bad news: The latest Toonami Pre-Flight reports that One Piece is leaving Toonami next week. Expect a music video to air as a grand farewell. EDIT: Here's the music video.

Good news: Tokyo Ghoul will join in as a replacement!

Lord Dalek

You have a funny definition of "bad news".

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I remember when they announced One Piece was returning to Toonami four years ago. I was so happy and excited that I was literally rolling on the floor. Now hearing that it's being taken off, I feel disappointed, but not devastated. Fact is, One Piece just wasn't performing, it makes sense to replace it. Can't say I was staying up to watch it myself either. And as much as the haters are gloating about this, One Piece doesn't need Toonami to give it exposure. It's plenty popular and successful over here, and was even before Toonami brought it back. If the great reception to the Film: Gold theatrical run wasn't proof enough of that, I don't know what is. I do find it funny that they started with the Foxy stuff and are now ending it with Foxy filler though. Strange but fitting bookend to this run.

I like the Tokyo Ghoul manga well enough and have been meaning to check out the anime, so if they play it before Shippuden I'll watch it, even though I know season two is contentious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, bad news for FUNimation, anyways.

I'm a huge fan of the manga and all, but even I had to give up on the One Piece anime years ago. Can't say that I've been bothering to follow it on Toonami, either. I would've rather had it replaced with My Hero Academia, though (or Mob Psycho 100 if that ever becomes a possibility).

The news that I'm dreading, personally, is whether or not JoJo's will manage to survive on the block or not. It doesn't seem to be going over all that well with the general Toonami audience.

LumRanmaYasha

It's not really bad news for FUNimation considering a FUNimation show is taking it's place.  :P

As for JoJo's...yeah, it's not doing so great. The dropoff from Kai every week is pretty significant. Since getting Stardust Crusaders would be a separate license from the first season to begin with, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother picking it or any future JoJo's seasons up after Battle Tendency is done. At the very least, I don't expect it to be a priority for them.

Spark Of Spirit

I would think My Hero Academia is a lock after this season. Still, I think Ushio & Tora and Blood Blockade Battlefront would have been better picks. But the first probably isn't finished dubbing and the second is getting a second season and all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I love One Piece, but it just doesn't do well in a weekly format. Its better when its binged through. Its the kind of show that needs a Monday-thru-Friday schedule. If Adult Swim still had anime on weeknights it might have done better.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on March 10, 2017, 09:06:24 PM
As for JoJo's...yeah, it's not doing so great. The dropoff from Kai every week is pretty significant. Since getting Stardust Crusaders would be a separate license from the first season to begin with, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother picking it or any future JoJo's seasons up after Battle Tendency is done. At the very least, I don't expect it to be a priority for them.

I think they'll still pick up Part 3, but it'll probably be at a lower time slot.  The show does well enough to justify continuing to air it, but it doesn't seem to sit well with DBZ's audience. 

I'm not too disappointed with One Piece leaving the block, since it's only been doing progressively worse on the block over time.  Hopefully, we'll get a good show like Ushio & Tora once Tokyo Ghoul finishes.

Rynnec

I'd of rather Shippuden leave and the replacement show be Garo, but it's good that Toonami has more breathing room now. One Piece had several chances to catch on in the US, but it could never stick the way Bleach and Naruto could, it's amazing it even got a second chance to begin with.

Spark Of Spirit

One Piece has always had several things going against it. There's the horrible pacing, and the fact that 4Kids did irreparable harm to its reputation to where it took a long time for people to look past it. There's also a lot of people who just can't get past the art style. Despite all that it had a decent shot, but it's just not going to be big here the way it is in Japan. I think that's fairly evident by now.

Shame JoJo isn't catching on, but you never know just what the modern Toonami audience is going to hook on to.

gunswordfist

I don't see how Ushio & Tora would do better than My Hero Academia on Toonami. Superheroes are still big here, MHA is short and people would be hooked by the first 2 episodes. As much as I like UT more, MHA would be the smarter pickup.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody