Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eh, This actually may not be a very good idea, IMO. There are going to be a ton of viewers who've never watched OP before, and while you could chalk it up to them just not being interested in the series at all, what I do know for certain is starting OP in a much later arc of the story will completely alienate any potential newcomers to the series, and will basically only appeal to its core fans, of whom only SOME will actually watch the show as it airs on TV. In other words, starting OP with the Skypiea arc will pretty much ensure that it'll get as little viewers as possible.

Daikun

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 19, 2013, 09:01:49 PMhttp://toonamialliance.wordpress.com/?p=93&preview=true

APRIL?!?

Wow, they're really rushing into this, aren't they? We just barely started Soul Eater and they're starting this so soon? Shouldn't we at least get some breathier room and plan ahead first? You know, wait for GXP to at least finish or see if you can plan an expansion?

No? Okay, then...

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on March 19, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
APRIL?!?

Wow, they're really rushing into this, aren't they? We just barely started Soul Eater and they're starting this so soon? Shouldn't we at least get some breathier room and plan ahead first? You know, wait for GXP to at least finish or see if you can plan an expansion?

No? Okay, then...

According to the Toonami tumblr, One Piece has not been confirmed to air in April. It is being considered as a possible time they may choose to begin it.

Personally, I would love for One Piece to begin broadcasting on the same date as the rebrand, but I would also prefer, if extension is not possible (and upon reflecting, it probably isnt), if they waited until Tenchi Muyo! GXP ends before adding both. I think this is the route they might choose to go with. Of course, I would also be alright if they choose to replace GXP with it's original replacement series and instead delay One Piece to a later date (as long as that other series is GOOD, of course).

In other news, the Evangelion movie seems to have done very well last week. Both Rebuild movies were the top two anime titles on Amazon.com after the broadcast, and apparently it tripled the 18-49 demographic ratings vs the same time last year, which is neat.

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/19/weekly-ratings-notes-for-adult-swim-cartoon-network-tbs-tnt-trutv-cougar-town-dallas-southland-lizard-lick-towing-nba-basketball-more/173997/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

I have a feeling that Toonami will air the second Rebuild movie at some point now. Heck, maybe before 2013 even finishes!

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 20, 2013, 10:19:51 PMPersonally, I would love for One Piece to begin broadcasting on the same date as the rebrand

A bit of an update on that.

The lineup will not change when TOM 5 debuts.

Edit: The post below knocks that out the window. :>

Rynnec

Lord Dalek

IGPX ain't no classic.

Rynnec

You'd rather it be D.I.C.E?

Avaitor

Honestly not interested, but sweet for the fans.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Rynnec on March 26, 2013, 09:04:06 PM
You'd rather it be D.I.C.E?
I'd rather it not be a show that aired in the period when I called Toonami a failed experiment.

Daikun

It's pretty impressive that they managed to get another Bandai show, even after their closure. And CN had sold the show off, too, so it seemed like all hope was lost.

I'm surprised that they actually went an extra mile instead of just picking up more FUNi shows for the rest of the year.

I really hope this leads to Toonami branching out after One Piece starts airing. Maybe try to grab something from Aniplex or one of the relatively new companies following the crash from a few years ago. They can't rely on FUNi's back catalog forever.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 26, 2013, 09:36:29 PM
I'd rather it not be a show that aired in the period when I called Toonami a failed experiment.

IGPX was pretty good, from what I remember. I don't see why it shouldn't be aired just because it was originally broadcast during a particularily subpar era of Toonami.

I'm pretty happy about this news, mainly because it's something new for me to watch (as I never saw the entire series and it was so long ago that I barely remember any of what I did watch). Toonami just keeps getting better and better in my opinion, even if I dont particuarily enjoy the first hour of the block myself. With this unlikely suprise, I wonder if they'll re-air Big O season 1 sometime soon. That'd be sweet.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually never even watched IGPX when it was on. The whole concept of using giant robots to race never really made much sense to me. That said, maybe I'll go ahead and give it a look now that its returning again, just for the hell of it.

Daikun

Early look at the new TOM and Absolution.

EDIT: Here's a slightly brightened image with a better look of the bridge.

LumRanmaYasha

It's been confirmed One Piece will start airing on Toonami on May 18th at 1am, starting with episode 207, which is the beginning of the Davy Back Fight arc and it's fourth season.

Source: http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/one-piece-to-join-toonami-block-starting-may-18/7611279

Personally, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. The Davy Back Fight arc is fun, but as a starting point it would confuse too many new viewers and it isn't particularily engaging in many parts. A better choice would have been either starting from Ocean's Dream (episode 219) or just right at the beginning of Water 7 itself (226). Hopefully starting at Davy Back Fight won't completley alienate viewers, and the show does well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The show probably wouldn't do good in ratings, either way, but if nothing else I'll definitely be watching it now that the English dub is starting off from where I left off on it. I would, of course, rather it start from the Water Seven arc as well, but if the Dub can cover all of the way up through Enies Lobby, than that would be awesome, being that EL is probably my favorite arc in the series. After that, Thriller Bark, Impel Down, and Marineford are also good, but I doubt the English dub will make it that far for a long while (and maybe even not at all, as I don't think that OP sells all that well for FUNimation, despite the quality effort that they put into it).