Fix a Movie That You Like

Started by Avaitor, January 20, 2011, 07:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Thor trailer leaves me indifferent. It might be good, it might suck, or it might be just mediocre. If anything the trailer has left me thinking that it will turn out to be the last of those 3 options. It just doesn't look all that great, but at the same time not necessarily bad either.

Now, if you want to talk about a trailer that left a bad taste in my mouth and has already gotten me to decide that I don't want to see the movie, that Green Lantern trailer....

Spark Of Spirit

Personally, I wish we could have less Avengers stuff in general. They've always bored me and, outside of Iron Man, I've never really enjoyed them much as characters.

On topic: X-Men. Storm's Toad line is atrocious and never should have made it in the movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't remember that, but Storm never really made me care one way or the other for her.

I never thought that Halle Berry was all that hot, honestly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Storm is a pretty good character in the comics, but Halle Berry was bland as hell as her. She was way overused in X3, too. (One of that movie's many problems)

I still think Gambit should have been in the movies since the original one. No idea why they held off so long on him but had Rogue in the first one with a central role.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Storm was a big character because Halle Berry had the sex appeal to draw people in.

She's a decently big and popular character in the comics, but isn't one of my personal favorites. I've always been fond of Gambit and Rogue myself, and I really liked the latter's character arc in the first movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Speaking of the title of the thread... They really fucked up X-Men.

The first movie was a good start though not perfect, it was a fun movie. The second one was way better with a lot of great set pieces and execution.

Then because Fox waited so long, we lost Singer and got X3 which was a giant mess with no cohesion and like 400 characters yet were still all underused for Wolverine. Not to mention that they killed Cyclops (thus destroying Jean's character), made Rogue human (again, destroying her character), and... that... thing they did to Prof X. They totally blew the Phoenix Saga, too.

Then they did Wolverine which was also a mess.

Such a missed opportunity. And because of X3, we already need a reboot or we'll never get another X-Men movie.

Avaitor

What happened with the X-Men films was a travesty. Two very solid comic book movies which got raped by a shitty third one and a middle-of-the-road spin-off.

The sad thing is that there seems to be a small community which prefers X3 and Wolverine to the first two. All I have to say is WHY?

But we can go on all day with franchises which got fucked up the ass. I know you may want to get to the Alien movies as well.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, If we're taking Alien movies into account, then X3 and Wolverine aren't nearly as atrocious as Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Anyways, the first X-Men film was great minus Storm. X-Men 2 was even better. X-Men 3's problem, more than being a mess, was that it wasn't even entertaining to watch. I was getting so bored that I was fighting to try and stay awake through the movie in theaters. Wolverine was badly written story-wise, but for what its worth it was still entertaining since it at least had cool action scenes going for it. Still, definitely a disappointment when it could have been so much better.

Spark Of Spirit

Alien 3 is an abortion that slaps the face of anybody who enjoyed the second movie. There's no fixing 3, everything about it is awful. I've never forgiven them for that and I never will. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise ended at 2.

Movies like that and Terminator 3 feel more insulting to audiences in their execution and disregarding previous films and that's why they usually are terrible.

But since this is about movies we like, I'll just say that Die Hard 2 should have not taken place at Christmas and had so many returning characters and elements. All that stuff makes it feel like more of a cheap rehashing than it actually is. That film also needed a writer to come in and totally re-write the script too, so many bad lines.

All of that weakens the film and makes it the worst one of the 4 (despite still being a fun movie), and also has the least rewatchability.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hey, Desensitized, don't forget Resurrection in your analysis of abortions of sequels. :sly:

My problem with Die Hard 2 was that it was clearly just riding off of the success of the first movie. Making it take place during Christmas and bringing back a bunch of characters from the first film was clearly showing that the writers were clearly just trying to recreate all of the elements that worked in that film rather than creating something new that still fit in as a Die Hard film, and for that their attempt backfired and the film's quality really suffered.

And as far as going into action movies that we like, I always felt that the Hospital scene in Hardboiled was dragged out WAY too long. Don't get me wrong, the choreography and the cinematography of the entire scene was brilliant. Nobody can come up with a shoot-out action scene from any other film that even comes close to the amazing level of that scene as well as many other action scenes in Hardboiled, without having to rely on CG and other really expensive special effect techniques. That said, even for me the scene got dragged out longer that it should have, and I almost forgot that there was a story that needed finishing up.

Angus

Well I really wished Prince of Persia had more elements from the game like wall runs and climbs, pole swinging (Gymkata! okay maybe not), more sick combat moves, and a not so deus ex machina ending where maybe his darker self would start to emerge. Still like the game series.

And they need a moratorium on any scene that has someone about to fall off a cliff side or a building. :gonk: It might have worked with Die Hard but that's the last time I remember it to be worth seeing.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

No-Personality

I can't say doing some editing with material I know exists would help any movie I like or dislike.

I know there are a pair of deleted scenes from Re-Animator that I think really made that movie. I don't enjoy the movie but I loved the hell out of these scenes.

The first comes right before the scene where Dan and Meg find the dead cat. Dr. Hill hypnotizes Dean Halsey. Now, it sounds cheesy, but it's a deeply creepy moment which is just a masterpiece of tension. The kind of tension which is actually missing from the entire rest of the movie. The rest of the movie is incredibly stiff but not this scene.

The other scene I adore is where we see West shooting up with his re-agent. I believe this scene comes up right before the moment with Meg in Dr. Hill's office, where he tries to talk her into allowing him to "perform exploratory surgery" on her father.

As for movies I liked, I thought Jawbreaker had a great amount of potential. And it still does- the cast is to die for, the dialogue is smart, the soundtrack is excellent, and the visual style is so good it's like you can lick it and it'll taste like candy.

The problem is the story. It isn't satisfying. It lacks credibility. Courtney Shayne just isn't enough of a bitch. Nor is Vylette (the Fern-Frankenstein creation) anything. She says people love to hate her, but... why? Also, the screenplay's horror influences aren't fully realized. Knowing the director is a fan of a film like Dead Alive (aka- Braindead) just begs for this whole thing to become a zombie film. Then, he could finally make the correlation between the aimless conformity of high school and the living dead who have no use for their own brains.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...