"The Rules of the Game" ("Le Regale du Jeu") Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 12, 2011, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

One of the two or three greatest films ever made in France

Release date: July 7, 1939
Studio: NEF (Neuvelles Editions du Films)
Director: Jean Renoir
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Starring: Marcel Dalio, Nora Gregor, Roland Toutain, Jean Renoir, Julien Carrette, Gaston Modot, Mila Parely

Plot Summary: Aviator André Jurieux has just completed a record-setting flight, but when he is greeted by an admiring crowd, all he can say to them is how miserable he is that the woman he loves did not come to meet him. He is in love with Christine, the wife of aristocrat Robert de la Cheyniest. Robert himself is involved in an affair with Geneviève de Marras, but he is trying to break it off. Meanwhile, André seeks help from his old friend Octave, who gets André an invitation to the country home where Robert and Christine are hosting a large hunting party. As the guests arrive for the party, their cordial greetings hide their real feelings, along with their secrets - and even some of the servants are involved in tangled relationships.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #144

One of the best movies ever made. Which reminds me, I haven't watched my dvd of it in a while.

Avaitor

Still on my to-watch list. I've been wanting to catch it on Netflix before Criterion takes it off, and since I have nothing to do today but stay home, wallow, and study, I might find time to.

Oh, and on the subject of Renoir, I finally saw Grand Illusion a week or so ago, and loved it. Really made me interested in watching this, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/