Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 03, 2015, 09:39:34 PM
While we're at it, why not list good adaptations that either improve on their source material or at least do something to stand out from it, as well as the mediocre to bad adaptations:

Good:
Ashita no Joe/2
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Trigun
Hunter X Hunter '99
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Dragon Ball
Haikyuu
Slam Dunk
Yu Yu Hakusho
Magi (Season 1)
Rurouni Kenshin (Kyoto and Trust & Betrayal)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hajime no Ippo (Season 1)
Death Note
Great Teacher Onizuka
Black Lagoon
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Level E
Kids on the Slope
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Acceptable:
Monster
Hunter X Hunter '11
Space Brothers
Magi (season 2)
Sinbad OVAs
Hikaru no Go

Bad:
Bakuman
World Trigger
Sailor Moon Crystal
Kuroko no Basket
Baby Steps
Eyeshield 21

Adding to the list:

Good:

Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Ranma 1/2
InuYasha: The Final Act
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Silver Spoon
Princess Jellyfish
Azumanga Daioh
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (first season)
Detroit Metal City
Gintama
Barefoot Gen (first movie)
Hetalia (first season)
Mushi-shi
Planetes
School Rumble
Ouran High School Host Club
Slayers (first three seasons)
Space Adventure Cobra
Knights of Sidonia
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Acceptable:

Dragon Ball Kai
Assassination Classroom
Sailor Moon (Original anime)
Attack on Titan
Parasyte -the maxim-
Slayers Revolution & Evolution-R
Soul Eater
The Seven Deadly Sins
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (first season)

Bad:

Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Kai (Buu Saga)
Nisekoi
Bleach
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Deadman Wonderland
Medaka Box
Yu-Gi-Oh!
InuYasha
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (second season)

Foggle

Can we put Lupin III under Good or is it too different from the source material to count?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 03, 2015, 10:45:54 PM
Can we put Lupin III under Good or is it too different from the source material to count?
Which version?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

All of the TV series except Part 3. And a couple of the films.

LumRanmaYasha

I think we can put the good series under the good category because they are good interpretations of the source material, even though they don't really adapt any chapters from the original manga in a recognizable manner.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm surprised to see you acknowledge DBZ as a bad adaptation, CX. :humhumhum:

I'd also add HD-era One Piece to the list of bad ones, and the SD-era to acceptable.

Of course there are always stand-out episodes here and there. For instance, the Marineford arc was a huge disappointment in the anime (screwing up such an iconic and memorable arc is where my hatred for Toei first began), but I remember that they randomly had good directors and animators working on certain episodes, so we occasionally got brilliant moments in the lackluster adaptation of the arc that did it justice for at least what those few episodes adapted. Episode 474 is a perfect example. I mean, just look at how good the animation, camera angles, and use of music is in it. On that end, they did a scene that wasn't nearly one of the biggest moments in the arc for me, and somehow made it seem like it was just that epic and important:

http://youtu.be/CiQGRquk4VU (ignore everything from after the 3:00 mark, that's from the next, poorly directed episode)

LumRanmaYasha

I don't know where to put DBZ, now that I think about it. Plenty of scenes and moments in the anime hold up great, but most of the episodes as a whole are hard to sit through. I'd have to rewatch the entire anime again to properly evaluate it, but since I have no motivation to do that, I'll say the cons outweigh the positives since it's not nearly as good an experience as the manga, or even the first season of Kai.

LumRanmaYasha

Yowamushi Pedal and Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun have gotten licensed by Yen Press. Which reminds me that I should finally get on checking them out once some time clears up.

LumRanmaYasha

So, according to Kodansha their license for Vinland Saga only covers through the seventh volume. Whether they'll release more after that depends on how well the next two books sell. At least if they do have to cut it off after the 7th book, they'll have covered through the entirety of the Ketil Farm arc, which works well enough for a satisfying cut-off point.

LumRanmaYasha

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is back. Billy Bat's back from it's hiatus too, as is Silver Spoon. And the new volume of REAL should get translated this month. And all the good regular series I follow are in a really great place....holy shit, April is going to be an AMAZING month of manga! I swear, every month in this year so far has managed to top the last. 2015 might end up being the very best year of manga I've ever experienced!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One Piece also might be getting better this year once the Dressrossa arc is over, provided that Oda manages to focus his story on the Straw Hats again and takes them to what I believe is thete next obvious destination given what happened with Big Mom.

LumRanmaYasha

Oda focusing the story back on the Straw Hats properly is what I've been waiting for ever since the timeskip started. I'll believe it when I see it.

LumRanmaYasha

Rankings for the April 13th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Gintama (Cover, Lead CP)
1- Assassination Classroom
2- One Piece
3- Black Clover
4- Haikyu!!
5- My Hero Academia
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (Center Color)
6- Kagamigami
7- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
8- Hinomaru Sumo
9- Nisekoi
Blood Blockade Battlefront (Special Chapter, Center Color, 20 p.)
Ultra Battle Satellite (Not ranked)
10- World Trigger
11- Bleach
12- Kochikame
13- Cyborg Roggy (First ranking)
14- Takujo no Ageha: The Table Tennis of Ageha
15- Gakkyu Hotei: School Judgment
The Story of Isobe Isobee

Whoa, BC shot up this week. Maybe Viz didn't choose wrong after all.

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

Blood Blockade Battlefront was in Jump? Was this a cross promotional thing?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton