AniMetacritic - What Anime Reviewers Think are the Best and Worst Anime Ever

Started by LumRanmaYasha, November 03, 2013, 04:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

And from what I recall, the reason Hunter X Hunter doesn't have much acclaim among bloggers is because the first few episodes didn't impress them. Also, the first arc of YYH isn't really a good indicator of the show's quality. It makes sense if someone who's unsatisfied by that, the Rando arc, and the Four Beasts arcs wouldn't be interested in continuing.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 05, 2013, 11:05:14 PM
And from what I recall, the reason Hunter X Hunter doesn't have much acclaim among bloggers is because the first few episodes didn't impress them.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) is ranked #118. That's pretty popular all things considered.  :P

Kiddington

Has anyone ever seen Abunai Sisters?

Curious as to how this came in dead last, I've never even heard of it.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on November 06, 2013, 02:22:01 AM
Has anyone ever seen Abunai Sisters?

Curious as to how this came in dead last, I've never even heard of it.
I watched it after seeing it on the list. It... deserves its placement. I can honestly say that no worse anime exists, or could ever possibly exist. Also, most of the episodes are lost.

Kiddington

Care to do a review?  :sly:

But seriously, if almost all of the episodes are lost how old is this show exactly? I feel like I should've been at least vaguely aware of something this bad.

Foggle

There isn't really enough content for a review, or else I would. Maybe I'll do a special short feature on it sometime. :blush:

It's a pretty recent OVA. The problem is, only something like 250 copies of the DVD were even printed, and most of the episodes failed to make it to the internet before every poor bastard who bought the disc presumably used it as firewood.

Kiddington

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 05, 2013, 11:05:14 PM
And from what I recall, the reason Hunter X Hunter doesn't have much acclaim among bloggers is because the first few episodes didn't impress them. Also, the first arc of YYH isn't really a good indicator of the show's quality. It makes sense if someone who's unsatisfied by that, the Rando arc, and the Four Beasts arcs wouldn't be interested in continuing.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) is actually fairly popular. It's also the one shounen series that has generally won over quite a few critics who don't care for the genre, with it's relatively unconventional story-telling and characters (at least by genre standards).

I think the first few episodes of YYH are actually really good. I also believe I've seen quite a few reviewers who like that segment. I can understand how the Genkai and Saint Beasts arcs might turn some people away from the series early. But, I'll never get the reviewers who say that Dark Tournament and Chapter Black are standard fair. When I get around to doing my blog series on story arcs, I'll address why those arcs stand out above the rest of the genre.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm actually amazed by the amount of people online who appeared to start watching at the Saint Beast arc and were still intrigued enough to keep watching. If that hooks you, then you're pretty much guaranteed to be a fan.

But I do think the first few episodes are really good. The whole "surprised to be dead" beginning of the story is a really good hook.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 06, 2013, 05:46:06 PM
I'm actually amazed by the amount of people online who appeared to start watching at the Saint Beast arc and were still intrigued enough to keep watching. If that hooks you, then you're pretty much guaranteed to be a fan.

My first episode was "Genbu the Stone Beast." Seeing Kurama outwit and defeat him with the rose whip was enough to get the 10 year old me interested in watching the show. Though, it certainly helped it was part of three epic hours of awesome on Colors TV, being next to Kodocha, Fruits Basket, Case Closed, Slayers, and Dragonball. Man I miss 2006.  :sweat:

But yeah, even back then I loved the "Surprised to be Dead" arc a whole lot, and Kuwabara's episode in that arc was my favorite episode of the show in that time. I was also really partial to the Rando and Rescue Yukina arcs too, but of course Dark Tournament and Chapter Black and even Three Kings blew them away as I continued on with the series via dvds and the internet.