Outlaw Star

Started by gunswordfist, May 27, 2011, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I got collection 1 and 2 from my library yesterday and watched disc 1 (the first 5 episodes) last night. I of course have already seen those on Toonami but I forgot how Hilda died. Sometime after the first episodes, I've only seen an episode here and there so the whole point of getting these DVDs was to fill in the blanks. So far I'm loving watching the series uncut.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Outlaw Star was popular back in the day, but its kind of underrated these days since so many people seem fit to always compare it to the other space western sci-fis of the time, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. In reality it has nothing in common with either of those shows aside from being in the same genre and coming out around the same time. Its really its own thing, though, going for a more comedic approach and mixing in some slick action scenes and some serious plot elements. In all honesty, in terms of enjoyability I believe I may have re-watched OS more times than either of those other 2 shows, but once again that's more because its a completely different beast altogether rather than being better than either of those other series (because its not, but I do enjoy it more, if that makes any sense).

Anyways, as you can tell, while its completely ridiculous on the whole, I'll always view OS as one of the most fun anime that I have ever seen, personally, in that it really knows how to have fun with itself and keep things fun for the viewer to watch.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2011, 01:18:33 PM
Outlaw Star was popular back in the day, but its kind of underrated these days since so many people seem fit to always compare it to the other space western sci-fis of the time, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. In reality it has nothing in common with either of those shows aside from being in the same genre and coming out around the same time. Its really its own thing, though, going for a more comedic approach and mixing in some slick action scenes and some serious plot elements. In all honesty, in terms of enjoyability I believe I may have re-watched OS more times than either of those other 2 shows, but once again that's more because its a completely different beast altogether rather than being better than either of those other series (because its not, but I do enjoy it more, if that makes any sense).

Anyways, as you can tell, while its completely ridiculous on the whole, I'll always view OS as one of the most fun anime that I have ever seen, personally, in that it really knows how to have fun with itself and keep things fun for the viewer to watch.
Yeah, it's definitely a fun loving, comedic show.

On Saturday, I got up to the last disc I had, Disc 4 of Collection 2. The first episode was The Seven Emerge, which I'm sure is the fan favorite episode. I got to say that I loved the first face off Gene head in the episode when they blew each other way. It was the first time I saw that episode in years and I expected them to run around shooting...nope, that was less than a second. What a nice surprise.

I got to say that I'm really liking the character Jim. The only kid character I know that is actually a good part of a group of adults. He's obviously a kid but at the same time he's a very useful part of the gang. In fact, he was half the members in the first episode. They really did a perfect balance with the character.

Spark Of Spirit

This was a fun show. I need to rewatch it some day.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I loved Outlaw Star, though admittedly I haven't seen it in years and forget mostly everything about it. I really should rewatch it sometime.

I remember Aisha was a badass.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on June 30, 2011, 10:55:57 PM
I loved Outlaw Star, though admittedly I haven't seen it in years and forget mostly everything about it. I really should rewatch it sometime.

I remember Aisha was a badass.
Aisha sounds like Brenda Song

Angus

Fear Aisha saying "Yay, me!"
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Sorry for the crazy bump, but this is really out of print everywhere isn't it? I guess I'll have to borrow my friend's complete collection if I want to re-watch this anytime soon.

This is the part of the space western trilogy that I still haven't gotten around to getting, I have both Trigun and Cowboy Bebop in full collections but not Outlaw Star and that's a shame.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Funimation re-licensed it, so it should be coming back to DVD (and blu-ray?) next year.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2013, 11:39:05 PM
Funimation re-licensed it, so it should be coming back to DVD (and blu-ray?) next year.
Oh cool, that's good to know. I held off on the complete series set because I heard there were problems with it, but I'll definitely get this if they put it out.

Rynnec

I know there are problems with Bandai's Gurren Lagann boxset, but I haven't encountered anything wrong with their OS set so far. But if it's getting a BD release, I'll be sure to get that if the footage is good.

Spark Of Spirit

The boxset or the clamshell release? It's the latter that I heard had playing problems on some shipments.

Either way, I might as well wait for a re-release now.

Rynnec

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 28, 2013, 01:02:45 AM
It's this one.
That's the one. But if your copy is okay, then maybe the reports I heard were overblown. Wouldn't be the first time.

Interesting:

QuoteFrequently Bought Together
Outlaw Star: Complete Collection    +    Cowboy Bebop Remix: The Complete Collection (Anime Legends)    +    Trigun: Complete Series Box Set (Classic)
Price for all three: $172.52

Show availability and shipping details
Buy the selected items together

This item: Outlaw Star: Complete Collection ~ Shigeru Shibuya DVD $68.15
    Cowboy Bebop Remix: The Complete Collection (Anime Legends) ~ Shinichiro Watanabe DVD $84.88
    Trigun: Complete Series Box Set (Classic) ~ Johnny Yong Bosch DVD $19.49
This is why most people just call them the space western trilogy. They all compliment each other very well.

gunswordfist

Oh man, this needs to be an anime block.