Outlaw Star

Started by gunswordfist, May 27, 2011, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

y'no, I found Bandai's old release of this at a pawn shop for $10 a few months ago, and I passed on it.

I do regret that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

This is one of those series I've been wanting to check out since I never saw it. Saw some comparisons to Cowboy Bebop, and it caught my attention. Unfortunately, I don't want to shell out so much money for it since I can't find it anywhere cheap. I do a lot of my shopping on amazon and I don't particularly care for buying used copies of movies/anime, and at the same time I can't find a site that show anime online for free (then again, I don't even know where to go for watching anime in general)

Spark Of Spirit

Outlaw Star is an adventure show with a lot of action. While Cowboy Bebop was episodic with some story loops and Trigun was an ongoing story with some episodic adventures, Outlaw Star is pretty much a series of adventures. Of the three it's probably the most unabashedly goofy but that's what gives it its charm as the opposite extreme of Cowboy Bebop where Trigun is the balance between the two.

If I were you I'd just wait for the new boxset to come out to dive in. That's what I plan on doing after not seeing it in so many years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Ah, so there is a new boxset coming? Didn't know that. Any word on a release date?

Spark Of Spirit

According to Foggle, Funimation just licensed it, so it should probably be out by next year.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 03:04:07 AM
Oh man, this needs to be an anime block.
Here's a block:

Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Martian Successor Nadesico
Lupin III
Case Closed

Or maybe that's just what I'd watch.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Sorry, someone refresh my memory and tell me if this happened on the show.

When it originally aired on Toonami, my mom made me change the channel and wouldn't let me watch again because they had used the word "faggot" at some point. And my older sister swears they said that too. And I kind of remember that as well, but I can't rationally believe they would have ever let that shit get through on old Toonami.

LumRanmaYasha

I've watched the uncut dub of the show, and I don't recall that word ever being used there, so I doubt that it was in the Toonami version.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2013, 07:34:49 PM
According to Foggle, Funimation just licensed it, so it should probably be out by next year.

Here's a block:

Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III
Case Closed

I'd watch that. What's MSN about? It's one of those shows that gets named a lot that I never bother to ask about.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 10:06:12 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2013, 07:34:49 PM

Here's a block:

Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III
Case Closed

I'd watch that. What's MSN about? It's one of those shows that gets named a lot that I never bother to ask about.
It's a sci-fi space show. One of my favorites for being a lot of fun with many, many characters but never gets overwhelming with them.

LumRanmaYasha

Here's a block:

Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III
Case Closed

[/quote]

No, no...I'd watch the hell out of that too!  ;)

Sigh...I remember the days when I could watch Dragonball, Case Closed, and Yu Yu Hakusho every weeknight in primetime. Dammit, I miss Colors TV!  :(

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 28, 2013, 10:44:35 PM
Here's a block:

Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III
Case Closed

No, no...I'd watch the hell out of that too!  ;)

Sigh...I remember the days when I could watch Dragonball, Case Closed, and Yu Yu Hakusho every weeknight in primetime. Dammit, I miss Colors TV!  :(
[/quote]I miss it too. That reminds me, my favorite OPs are probably Baki and Guyver
Edit: I didnt know they had YYH too :o
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

As I've said elsewhere, I've been watching this via my friend's complete collection and am already on the third disc. Here's a few observations.

1. The story never stops moving.

While it's a pure action show, the story is still driven by all the character's actions and personalities. From episode 1 and its "To Be Continued" stinger ending (The text and art in this show is great, by the way) every episode hooks you and just nudges you to continue watching. Despite that, it never feels rushed or sugar-happy for carnage.

2. Action

I forgot how good the action in this show is, and for an action show that's saying a lot. You might think "Well Cowboy Bebop and Trigun had better or more ingenious action sequences than Outlaw Star" and you'd be missing the point. Outlaw Star is not stylish at all and that is its strength. It's simple, fast-paced, and in your face, which fits perfectly with the tone.

3. The dub is really good

I think it was the Space Western Trilogy when anime dubbing really hit the mark on this side of the pond, and the Outlaw Star dub is just as good as the other two. The jokes all translate well, and all the voices are dead on.

4. The characters are all likeable

Yes, Aisha and Suzuka don't drift too far from their stereotypes, but Gene and Jim are always enjoyable to watch and Melfina works well as the mother figure to balance them out. Even the villains while they might be clearly evil with nothing but bad intentions on their minds are still interesting to watch. It's a lot of fun.

5. The simple art style does it a lot of favors

The scene transitions and mid-episode bumper are perfect, the space western future bent between Grappler battles and Caster shoot-outs give it a real punch in the action levels. Yes, I guess you could say things like clothes and hairstyle date it, but it works well in the world they inhabit which is a mix between Cowboy Bebop sci-fi and Trigun journeyman. It's still good to look at, too.

Long story short, I haven't seen it in many years but it's still well worthy of being considered one of the Space Western Trilogy and mixes well with Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. If you haven't seen it in a while, give it a go. It holds up really well.

Angus

I remember we had a thread that compared the show to Firefly.

The grappler idea was pretty funny as well as the bullets which the latter got detailed in that forbidden episode 23.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

That final battle is very visually confusing in a lot of ways.

But still, great little action show.

"See you again", huh?  :imnothappy: