Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I don't know if we'll revisit the list that frequently, but I wouldn't be surprised if we make another version of it before the decade's over.

Also, what changes come to mind for you, Spark?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'd love to see Archer in the top 15, honestly. And maybe GitS SAC on there somewhere.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, doing a new one every year would be too redundant. I don't think all that much would change year to year.

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 21, 2012, 04:11:49 PMAlso, what changes come to mind for you, Spark?
I would probably put Monster, Home Movies, and Duckman a few slots lower on the list. But that's mostly in hindsight and nitpicking. I still think every one of them is great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for me, here are some changes that I would make:

Despite being a huge fan of YYH to this day, I can't deny that it doesn't have the near universal appeal of the other shows ranked so high on our list, and for that reason I'd move it way lower (I'd still fight to keep it on the list, though, but definitely outside of the top 20). I'd move Gargoyles to at least the number 10 spot, as I believe it belongs in the top 10. The same goes for Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. I know its one of Avaitor's favorites, and it certainly is a great show, but I don't quite think its top 10 material when considering the wider appeal of the other shows on that part of the list.

I'd also opt to move Futurama higher on the list.

Also, in terms of adding shows to the list, after plenty of consideration I'm pretty sure that Digimon Tamers belongs on there. I know I used to be biased toward the show, but it really is something you appreciate more when you're older, and anyone who is skeptical of that choice should watch the show themselves before they say that they aren't convinced.

One thing I'd definitely keep the same about our list is having Dragon Ball stay where it is. I know that can kind of be controversial for some people. Some would say that DBZ should be ranked instead but those people are the nostalgia-obsessed freaks that screw up lists like this. Others like GregX would say its shit and doesn't belong on the list at all (which he did point out), but on that note while I can respect someone completely disliking the show I'll defend it to the grave. I think it belongs right where it is and anyone who wants to argue it can just go make their own list if it bothers them so much.

On the whole, though, I think we did a great job on our list. There isn't much else besides that which I would change. And yes, I'm one of the people who think that Avatar is ranked at a good spot; I don't really agree that it needs to be higher than the spot we gave it.

Spark Of Spirit

I might consider putting Futurama, South Park, and Boondocks a bit lower on the list, but that's personal taste. I think the list is fine as it is, it's not like it was ever going to be perfect, but we put a lot of effort into it and I think that shows.

I'm also not seeing why Dragon Ball would need to be moved. GregX doesn't like shonen, so it doesn't really matter what shonen we put there, he's not gonna like it. Besides, it's not like we ranked Z or anything. King Of The Hill is also perfect where it is.

As for what I'd put higher? DuckTales, TB&TB, and The Real Ghostbusters should all be a tad higher.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'd rank Futurama a little higher, but not in the top 10. I think it'd be redundant if we had both Groening shows in there. Same for JL.

And I'd move Monster a bit lower and find room for Archer. Otherwise, I'm fine with the list myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Higurashi should be lower and Excel Saga should be swapped out for Archer.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think Futurama or South Park should be lower. I'd still argue to put SP in the top 20, but since everyone else was so against it we settled for being just outside of it at the #21 spot. I don't really feel that its declined in quality at all, as the episodes are still pretty hit or miss, so I'm fine with the show staying where its at. As for Futurama, the new seasons aren't as strong as the older ones (though they still have good episodes), which is why I wouldn't put it in the top 10 or anything (if it were just the original 4 seasons, though, I'd argue that it belongs there), but even so I think it belongs in the top 15, personally.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
I don't think Futurama or South Park should be lower. I'd still argue to put SP in the top 20, but since everyone else was so against it we settled for being just outside of it at the #21 spot. I don't really feel that its declined in quality at all, as the episodes are still pretty hit or miss, so I'm fine with the show staying where its at. As for Futurama, the new seasons aren't as strong as the older ones (though they still have good episodes), which is why I wouldn't put it in the top 10 or anything (if it were just the original 4 seasons, though, I'd argue that it belongs there), but even so I think it belongs in the top 15, personally.
I would like to see Futurama in the top 10, personally. I think it's better than The Simpsons quality-wise, even if that one's more influential. I'm cool with South Park being in the top 20, as well (though I'd really love to see Archer in there).

Oh, and I think Full Metal Panic TSR should be a lot higher on the list. Courage too.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2012, 04:59:36 PM
As much as I enjoy Higurashi, it is really way too high on the list. I would certainly have it on the list, but it seems abnormally high.

If we did this now I'm certain Ultimate Spider-Man would have been number 1.  :swoon:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'd probably swap TSR and GTO on the list in terms of ranking. Actually I think it deserves to be even higher than that, but being that its appeal may be limited, I can't justify it being anywhere in the top 30 on those grounds. Maybe we could let it overtake FMA's spot, instead, so that way it would at least just barely make the top 40, which is still a much better ranking than what it got.

Dr. Insomniac

...And I honestly have no opinion one way or the other on how the list should be changed.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2012, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2012, 04:59:36 PM
As much as I enjoy Higurashi, it is really way too high on the list. I would certainly have it on the list, but it seems abnormally high.
Indeed. I'd be cool with swapping its position with either Baccano! or FMP TSR, personally.

Avaitor

I ranked Higurashi so high on the list because I thought it was where Foggle would've put it himself, and also due to its sheer originality and cleverness (the first 2 series, at least). I could definitely have ranked it a bit lower.

Honestly, if I'd swap Higurashi with anything, it'd be SSM. Despite the short length, I still think that it's the perfect super hero cartoon.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I could go on about how different I'd do it, but I think as a collaboration effort, it's remarkably consistent outside of a few things we all kind of missed.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 21, 2012, 05:05:02 PM
...And I honestly have no opinion one way or the other on how the list should be changed.
Oh, no one thinks it should be changed (and we're not going to change it), just what we would probably do different if we made it now.