Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Higurashi is great, but its not really top 30 material.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, I still need to watch more of Venture Bros., but honestly unless it gets downright terrible after season 2, I think it deserves at least some spot on our list, even if it isn't that high.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
Oh yeah, I still need to watch more of Venture Bros., but honestly unless it gets downright terrible after season 2, I think it deserves at least some spot on our list, even if it isn't that high.
I think this was because only myself and Avaitor had seen the most of the series, and neither one of us really liked where it went after season 2. If you guys had lobbied for it, we probably would have let it on, if at least really low on the list.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Well, we originally did have it on the list, but I really don't like how it turned out past season 2.

I personally think that Archer has done everything that Venture tried or wanted to do in its run, but was too obsessed with itself to keep up with, and isn't anywhere near as good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

But if we ever do another list, we should probably shake it up and just go whole hog for 100. You know, to really mix it up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Extending it to have 100 shows would certainly make it easier to add in things that we want but couldn't initially add. It'd also let us move some entries a lot lower while still essentially keeping it on the list. That's certainly a good idea.

Avaitor

Yeah, if we do this again, I'd totally vouch to go for the full 100. I initially decided on 65 since I thought if we went to 100, we'd end up listing lesser shows or nostalgic favorites that don't hold up instead of the best of the best.

But by the time we try this again, I think enough good shows and overlooked gems will be discovered for us to pull out a good, full 100.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

It was really stupid that TMNT made the list but Rurouni Kenshin didn't even though TMNT had an awful final season as well. A lack of research was done there and unlike RK, TMNT's last season can't be considered just filler at all.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I can't speak for TMNT since I haven't seen that much of 2K3, myself, but RK is justified for not being on the list. I like the anime, but really its filler is downright awful and it can't be ignored in the grand scope of things. Its an entire third of the anime that's just flat-out crap. And even if we only considered the first two-thirds of the series, only the Kyoto arc really stands out whereas the beginning episodes are fairly average at best, and if only a third of the series is really noteworthy, then its not really top 65 (or even 100, for that matter) material. That said, if this were a list about manga, RK would easily be in the top 10, IMO.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2012, 04:12:24 PM
I'd love to see Archer in the top 15, honestly. And maybe GitS SAC on there somewhere.
:wth: I kill you!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2012, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
I don't think Futurama or South Park should be lower. I'd still argue to put SP in the top 20, but since everyone else was so against it we settled for being just outside of it at the #21 spot. I don't really feel that its declined in quality at all, as the episodes are still pretty hit or miss, so I'm fine with the show staying where its at. As for Futurama, the new seasons aren't as strong as the older ones (though they still have good episodes), which is why I wouldn't put it in the top 10 or anything (if it were just the original 4 seasons, though, I'd argue that it belongs there), but even so I think it belongs in the top 15, personally.
I would like to see Futurama in the top 10, personally. I think it's better than The Simpsons quality-wise, even if that one's more influential. I'm cool with South Park being in the top 20, as well (though I'd really love to see Archer in there).

Oh, and I think Full Metal Panic TSR should be a lot higher on the list. Courage too.
Courage can never get enough love. I preferred this show over Johnny Bravo.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2012, 06:47:23 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2012, 04:12:24 PM
I'd love to see Archer in the top 15, honestly. And maybe GitS SAC on there somewhere.
:wth: I kill you!
And that is why you're not a mod.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2012, 06:20:21 PM
It was really stupid that TMNT made the list but Rurouni Kenshin didn't even though TMNT had an awful final season as well. A lack of research was done there and unlike RK, TMNT's last season can't be considered just filler at all.
There's over 100 great episodes of TMNT2K3.

There's one great season of RK, one terrible season, and one good one with filler.

I enjoy both shows, but I'd say one has the clear advantage.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 11:53:36 AM

There's one great season of RK, one terrible season, and one good one with filler.

Nothing makes up for how terrible the dragon season is.  :bleh:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 23, 2012, 03:46:41 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 11:53:36 AM

Nothing makes up for how terrible the dragon season is.  :bleh:
I dunno, I'd say the lack of Einishi hurts RK worse.  :P