Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Eh, Scooby may have been ahead of the pack during the 70's, but that was just a really bad time for animation in general. It was still mediocre then, and even the original series barely holds up today.

I just don't Scooby in any form belonged on here at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I pretty much dislike any iteration of Scooby Doo, with exception of A Pup Named(and I guess the newest one, although to be fair I'm only saying that because I've never seen it).  I can recognize some of the merits in the original and New Scooby Doo Movies, and Zombie Island is alright, but other than that, I don't care for the franchise, even the fan-favorite Thirteen Ghosts.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

I kind of lost interest in A Pup Named Scooby.

Zombie Island is probably one of my top 10 favorite cartoon movies. Just flat out perfection. I liked what I saw of Thirteen Ghosts and I liked that Shaggy werewolf racing movie. It's obvious what I want Scooby to be
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

One of my big problems with Scooby is that it's just an incredibly dated concept as a whole. Really, it's any wonder that the series is somehow still alive and kicking to this very day.

The other big problem I have is that most of it just isn't very good. I mean, you can't deny its longevity; four decades is an amazingly long life span for a television character, and obviously that does account for something... but really, let's be honest here; a good 75% of those 40+ years is nothing but garbage, IMO. Pup Named was fun, Thirteen Ghosts was alright... but after that? Ehhhhh. The original just barely holds up, pretty much anything with Scrappy minus Thirteen Ghosts is crap, What's New was an eye-poppingly bad reboot, and Mystery Inc., while it does dare to be different, is still very much a flawed series. Throw in numerous DTV's, each of them (minus Zombie Island) more forgettable than the last, along with the obligatory live-action movies that... well, suck, and there just isn't a whole lot of good to throw around when we're talking about this franchise.

...oh yeah, and lest I not forget; those awful, awful Scooby celebrity cameo movies from the early/mid-70's. You know, the ones where they run around and solve crimes with Batman, Don Knotts, the 1973 Harlem Globetrotters, Phyllis Diller... basically they went a whole "Cast of Thousands" route here. And man, where those things baaaaaaaaaad.

So... yeah, you get the point here. Not a Scooby fan; the franchise has undoubtedly had its moments over that four decade run, but nothing that I'd say is truly worth a spot on a "top animated series of all time" list. Again, though; just my opinion.

Eddy

Even as a kid Scooby-Doo bored me to tears. I just couldn't get into it. I remember getting sick of seeing it air so much on Cartoon Network back in the day.

Angus

The cast of thousands thing was a sign of the times, back when it was cool to be cartooned. The Simpsons soon adopted that idea. Heh, the many hours I spent watching Jackson 5 and Harlem Globetrotters cartoons when I didn't know better. :swoon: It didn't quite catch on with House of Mouse, even though they tried.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

Woah, hey... I actually liked House of Mouse.  :humhumhum:

...but, that's neither here nor there.

Avaitor

House of Mouse had a really cool concept and some fun ideas, but I wasn't impressed with the cartoons they showed at all, and wish that characters from the movies had more of a role in it other than just being guests.

That said, I really liked the episodes with Scrooge and the Three Caballeros. Loved seeing them again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Sketch

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 10, 2011, 05:48:18 PM
Except NGE. That's shit

Fixed that a bit but I like the cut of your jib.

I will say anyone who wants to see all animation has to offer should watch Evanelion and judge it for themselves but it's the most overrated "edgy" cartoon out there and I find it far from brilliant. I find it to be an above average monster of the week show with pretty good animation for it's time and great music. I don't like the story and I can't stand the characters and if the point was to make them as unlikable as possible then it succeeded but it only succeeded in making unlikable characters not proving a point with them.

Foggle

Quote from: Sketch on July 27, 2011, 06:26:46 AM
with pretty good animation for it's time
Evangelion's animation is terrible, and was even considered as such back then. Rebuild and End Of are very well animated, though.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 27, 2011, 11:57:30 AM
Why didn't Trigun make it?
It didn't come up, honestly.

It's one of my favorites, if that's good enough!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 27, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 27, 2011, 11:57:30 AM
Why didn't Trigun make it?
It didn't come up, honestly.

It's one of my favorites, if that's good enough!
No, that doesn't mean shit. ;D

Spark Of Spirit

I'm currently re-reading the list, and it's still pretty good. While I might change some placements now, it's still the best list out there I've seen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I assumed you guys would revisit this list every 2-3 years or something like that to either add something you might have wanted to add but didn't feel like it would be fair because of how new it was. For example, take Archer. I remember DLA mentioning that he kind of regretted not adding it to the list. After all, I'm not sure how long you guys were making this list so I don't know what factors or dates you had on it.