Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

C'mon guys, you're telling me you don't want to see Up 2 or Ratatouille 2?  :sly:

The day they make Toy Story 4 is the day I start being very cautious of what Pixar plans to announce. Yes that does include original ideas.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

They should remake Ikiru and make it  about the Queen dying and Atta taking her place.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'm bored so I'm going to pull out all the Pixar movies and their potential for sequels:

Toy Story- You could've ended it with the first movie and it would've still been a classic, but they got lucky twice and pulled out two amazing sequels to compliment the film. The original characters are likable enough to come back and interact with each other, and most of the new toys added enough to the new story. However, while the new shorts are welcome and the TV specials might even be good, 3 was a perfect cap-off to the film franchise and doing another feature would only cheapen the ending of it.

I know that Disney and Pixar would want to do it considering the massive success that 3 had in the box-office, but most of that came from the kids, now teenagers and young adults, that grew up loving the first 2 movies and wanted to see their favorite toys go through one more grand adventure. We got what we wanted and have another brilliant film to add to our collection. I feel that a Toy Story 4 would only demean 3's existence and would not be anywhere near as big of a hit as 3 was.

A Bugs Life- This could've actually happened... not too long after the movie came out. ABL is easily Pixar's least popular movie. I do think that the characters are strong enough to have another go-through together, but there isn't much of a market for it, since Disney has really given it the shaft ever since Pixar has proven time and time again that they could top this.

Monsters, Inc- Well we are getting Monsters University, and that should be good considering how strong Mike and Sully's relationship is and just how fun the first movie was. They also could possibly pull off a sequel with an older Boo if they wanted to, but let's see how this goes first.

Finding Nemo- What, is this going to be Finding Dory?

Really though, I was talking about this with some friends a day or two before the sequel was announced, and one of them said that they could pull off a sequel involving Marlin finding that his wife and all their children turned out to survive that attack in the beginning of the first movie, and Nemo has to learn to adapt to living with them. And honestly, that is a HORRIBLE idea for a film. It spits on the beginning of the original, which was one of the most effective parts of the film, and  would turn this into a generic family movie with an overdone moral you could find in a Full House repeat.

The sad thing, though? That's the best idea for a sequel that I could think of.

The Incredibles- EK, I know you're not a fan of this one at all, but even you have to admit that this could handle its own sequel better than just about any other Pixar movie, right?

Even if they don't want to replace Violet and Dash's actors, they can just do a prequel and show us some of the earlier adventures of Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl and Frozone. I think that would be fun.

Cars- Even though the franchise isn't very popular with adults, there's enough life and character in Radiator Springs and its cast to have been able to make a franchise out of it. Cars 2's weak reception killed any hope for a third one though, which there really wouldn't be a need for in the first place. I do think that they could still make shorts and maybe a special or two out of it with no problem, however.

Ratatouille- Here's an open and shut film. The movie ended perfectly fine with Remy and Linguini opening up a restaurant together, even though it gave the film a cold message by saying that if you lie and cheat your way to the top, you will be rewarded in life for doing so. There really isn't any more you can do with the characters though. All I can think of is a cook-off thing for Remy to compete in, which sounds like a super lame idea.

Wall*E- Nothing. A continuation would ruin the whole of the film and a prequel showing how humans moved into the ship would be too depressing for anyone to get behind. Not to mention that you couldn't find a middle ground as strong as Stanton did in this and whatever they did would have to be entirely in pantomime or done like a traditional film, which would spoil the artistic brilliance of the original.

Up- The ending pretty much completed Carl and Russell's saga. Unless you want to make Down, featuring the funeral of Carl, then by all means, go for it.

Brave- I still haven't seen it, but if it's as shut of a film as the last few originals have been, I doubt that they could think of a good follow-up for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Good post.

The Incredibles and A Bugs Life are really the only two you could probably make a decent sequel for, at this point. As you said though, ABL is too old and pretty much forgotten about by now to really risk banking on as a strong seller, so you're really only left with one that truly makes sense.

...and as far as that goes, you know how I feel there; there should have already been an Incredibles 2, or at least something announced. It's still one of my favorite Pixar outings to date (EK, I can't believe you don't like this movie), and it's pretty much the only one here other than ABL that doesn't either already have a sequel, or have a totally open and shut storyline. There are a ton of directions you could take this franchise, prequel or sequel, given the cast of characters, their respective backstories, and everything else they have at their disposal. The fact that they're not even considering this... quite disappointing to me, to say the least.

Also, I know this is really old news by now, but it still irks me that they canned Newt. It was too early in development to really get a feel of the direction they would have taken that movie, but at this point, I'm sure everyone would have been far more open and receptive to an original concept than a sequel to a movie that has NO sequel potential whatsoever. But hey, whatever pays the bills, I suppose. You still see Finding Nemo fruit snacks all these years later, so if popularity outclasses originality, so be it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I could never really get myself to enjoy The Incredibles no matter how hard I tried (and I have watched the film at least 3 times), but I wouldn't deny that its definitely the best suited Pixar film to warrant a sequel (or even better yet, a prequel, like Avaitor pointed out).

Also as mentioned above, A Bug's Life could have managed a sequel of its own, but its been well over a decade since it came out and I highly doubt that it'll ever get any attention again if its been ignored up until this point.

As for Toy Story, I've already shared my thoughts on it. The 3 films that we have are each great stand-alone films that also come together to make a great trilogy. Most importantly, TS3 caps the story off for good. There's no way they could justify making a TS4 at all. The only thing I could see them doing is maybe taking the same concept and telling a story about another group of toys, but that would just be pointless as people who only ever want to see TS3 for the characters that they had come to love so much in the first 3 films, anyways, so yeah, I think that the series should be rightly done with TS3, but you never know, greed can get the better of any company, including respectable ones like Pixar (don't forget that Disney has been plagued by this for a long time despite being so unquestionably respected back in its prime years)

MonstersU is a great idea as a prequel would make more sense than a sequel given the ending of the first movie. I mean, a sequel would be kind of odd as I can't think of any big conflicts that could come up after the events of the first film.

As for Finding Nemo....yeah, I'm just as much at a loss as everyone else as to what possible sequel idea they could come up with. The first movie was clearly meant to be a stand-alone story and had such a closed-knit ending that there's absolutely no story that a sequel could potentially tell that has any chance of being a quality story that's worth telling. I could be wrong, though.

Then there's Cars. I didn't like the first one, but I wouldn't deny that it could have had a sequel....and it did....and a lot of people still didn't like it, so I'm pretty sure that this series is done now, anyways.

Ratatouille and Wall-E are done. Both of their respective films told stand-alone stories and finished them up with complete endings. There is literally nothing you could add to either movie through a sequel, and thus is not warranted for either movie. I don't know what else to say. Its really just as simple as that.

To be honest, I could actually picture Up having a sequel. To me, Up was a great adventure movie, and another movie could tell another great stand-alone adventure story. That said, I don't think its at all necessary and I doubt that it could capture the same emotion and passion of the original movie, so I'd agree that this film is best-left as a stand-alone.

And, finally we come to Brave. Having seen it myself despite not even being interested, it could actually have a sequel. If nothing else, the movie did have a rich mythology behind it that could be further explored in a sequel, or it could cover the when the princess is a little older and finally has to choose a husband and succeed her mother as the queen. Either way, though, I just don't think I'd be interested. I went and saw this movie despite already not being interested, and all that happened was that I found out that I was right, and was honestly quire bored with this movie, so even if it could sustain a sequel, I just flat-out wouldn't care enough to see it, myself.

Spark Of Spirit

Brave was about the importance of family and traditions, so it was pretty well contained in the movie. But it wasn't closed off to the point where a sequel would be impossible... but I don't see it happening any time soon.

The Incredibles really just stuns me as to why there hasn't been a sequel. Look at how popular superhero movies are now compared to when the original came out (and the original was HUGE), this is a total no-brainer. Yet instead they're going to make a sequel to a movie with absolutely no sequel potential for cheap bucks.

Cheapquel.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The thing about Disney is that at least they made most of their sequels DTV so they didn't waste the theater's time and space with filler.

Pixar is too proud to make any of these DTV.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

They should be too proud to make a sequel to a movie with no sequel potential, IMO.

That's what bothered me most about when Disney was doing it. It felt like they had absolutely no respect for their own work. They make their own work feel cheap and hollow. How much they cost to make is sort of beside the point, in my opinion. There's definitely little heart or soul in the efforts beyond product for dollars.

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on July 18, 2012, 07:43:38 PM
Pixar is too proud to make any of these DTV.

Well, the spinoff (or whatever it is) to Cars, that Planes movie, is DTV, so I guess they're really not above anything at this point.

It's all very surprising when you think about it. People always thought that eventually Pixar would lose its touch over time - it happens - and while they'd still be original, the quality would be on the decline... but to see them stoop down to the level of being nothing but another sequel machine, I don't think anyone seen that coming.

This Finding Nemo announcement... it's not a sign of good things to come from these guys. Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Time will tell.

Avaitor

Quote from: Kiddington on July 18, 2012, 08:04:29 PM
Well, the spinoff (or whatever it is) to Cars, that Planes movie, is DTV, so I guess they're really not above anything at this point.
Pixar has only minimal involvement in that- it's being done by Disney's cheapquel department. It's all Disney otherwise.

New blog!

Eddy

Finding Nemo is getting a sequel? ...Really? What story is left to tell with Finding Nemo? I really can't think of anywhere to take that story. What, is he going to get kidnapped again? Pixar, I used to have such respect for you, but between Cars 2 and now this it's becoming more and more obvious that the mighty dollar speaks to you more than creating art.

If you ever make a Toy Story 4 or a WALL-E 2 I will shoot myself.

Commode

Well you might want to get a head start on the gun, there are rumors of a Toy Story 4 in the works.  Nothing's official yet, but it has been hinted at.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

So will it be about Nemo growing up and shit, since his actor's pushing 20 now and sounds the part judging from Weeds.

Kiddington

Unless it's a prequel (ala Monster's Inc 2.), there is absolutely no way they can make Toy Story 4 and not completely shatter the integrity of the series, given the way 3 ended. Just none. It's simply not possible.

...and even then, a prequel would really be a stretch. I can't believe they're even considering this.