Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I haven't seen Monsters University. So ignoring that, this is my list.

1. Toy Story 3
2. Toy Story
3. Toy Story 2
4. Up
5. WALL-E
6. Finding Nemo
7. Brave
8. The Incredibles
9. Monsters, Inc.
10. A Bug's Life
11. Ratatouille
12. Cars
13. Cars 2

I said "smack dab in the middle" earlier, but I didn't actually realize Brave would land exactly in the very center of the list. :P

Avaitor

It's weird, the comic relief is definitely Pixar, but Brave's pacing otherwise has the feel of a Disney movie more than any of their other films had before. I can't help but feel like that was one of the problems Pixar had with Brenda Chapman's direction, and why she parted ways before the film wrapped up.

I can't say that I'd put the movie up there with PATF, Tangled or Frozen, but in terms of concept, it's probably a better film than Monsters University, which I still quite like.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Brave just really clicked for me. The animation is better than ever, first of all. I haven't seen Monsters U which is newer so I can't talk for that one (though I do remember Toy Story 3 having better animation than Cars 2, or maybe it just seemed that way). But Brave seriously looked phenomenal. And I really loved the Scottish Highlands setting. Also, it possibly has my favorite Pixar soundtrack, but that's one that I would really have to look into for each movie to properly decide on. But I like the Scottish music, and I love Julie Fowlis' music.

Some call the story predictable. Maybe, but I still really liked the execution of it, and that's what matters to me. I really liked the dynamic between Merida and her mother. And the Prince has to be the most terrifying Pixar character ever.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 12, 2013, 09:30:18 AM
Let me try. It's been a while since I've seen many of these movies, though.

1. Up
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story 2
4. WALL-E
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Ratatouille
8. The Incredibles
9. Finding Nemo
10. A Bug's Life
11. Brave/Cars (it's a tie for me)
12. Cars 2
Saw MU a while back (but I still haven't seen Cars 2:

1. Up
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story
4. Toy Story 2
5. WALL-E
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Ratatouille
8. The Incredibles
9. Finding Nemo
10. Monsters University
11. A Bug's Life
12. Brave
13. Cars

I actually really liked MU, but that's probably because I'm a sucker for underdog stories.:P And I don't think Brave is terrible or anything, I just didn't enjoy it as much as Pixar's other flicks.

Kiddington

Am I literally the only person here that doesn't rank both Cars films dead last (well the original anyway, 2 was garbage)? I dunno, but I just really liked the first one and whenever I watch it again, it still holds up.

I feel like A Bug's Life is one of the weaker offerings, but then again it's also the one I've gone the longest without seeing, so there's also that.

talonmalon333

Cars wasn't a bad movie. It just wasn't a good Pixar movie, in my mind. There are certainly things that I liked about it, namely the Doc and Paul Newman's voice acting for him.

Cars 2 is a movie where I don't even know what to say. The entire premise is just absolutely mind boggling.

Kiddington

Cars 2 should've been DTV.

That's how bad it is.

Avaitor

I still haven't seen Cars 2, and I probably never will unless I find it for like $5 and can prove that the DMR code still works. The first isn't terrible, but my problem with it is just how LONG AND SLOW it is. There isn't nearly as many genuinely clever or sweet moments to make up for its time, the pacing is just that poor. I understand how much the franchise means to John Lasseter, and how badly he wants us to be as immersed in his world as he is, but it's hard to get into it when there's so little that's endearing about it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I like both Cars and Cars 2, but even still they are probably last on my list of Pixar movies.  The only ones that might rank below them are Nemo and Bugs Life, but it depends on the day.

Haven't seen Brave yet.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I still love A Bug's Life, personally. It isn't as emotionally satisfying as a lot of Pixar's other movies, but I think all of the characters are likable and the jokes click better for me than Nemo's or Brave's.

I wouldn't put it at the top of my list, but I still like it better than some.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I always figured they make so many Cars movies (a sequel, a spin-off Planes franchise, the supposed Cars 3, etc.) is because it sells toys.

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 07, 2013, 06:24:41 PM
I always figured they make so many Cars movies (a sequel, a spin-off Planes franchise, the supposed Cars 3, etc.) is because it sells toys.

why  :whuh:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on December 07, 2013, 06:30:36 PM

why  :whuh:

Because Pixar apparently has to do as many needless sequels as possible, apparently. :bleh:

http://route66news.com/2013/08/17/michael-wallis-says-there-will-be-a-cars-3/

Avaitor

That's pretty much why, yeah.

New blog!

Commode

The thing is, even if movies like Cars 2 or Planes(yes, I've seen it) exist solely to make Disney money, they at least are watchable and somewhat enjoyable.  Dreamworks went on for years trying to make quality films and instead they made movies that were obnoxious Family Guy Lites(coughShrekcoughMadagascarhack).  Aside from how tiring Mater can get, Cars isn't obnoxious, and neither is Cars 2.

Even Despicable Me 2, despite the fact that I liked the first one well enough, was fairly obnoxious.  They are trying to shove those damn annoying minion things down our throat, and I for one find that worse than Cars 2(or 3) and Planes(or 2).  They've even got their own movie in the pipeline.  Yeesh.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.