SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacattackForce

A thousand is worth thousand words, yet all this picture speaks is random gibberish.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: RacattackForce on July 26, 2014, 08:57:07 PM

A thousand is worth thousand words, yet all this picture speaks is random gibberish.

This made Marquis scream in anger.

The end is nigh.

Daxdiv

What the fuck am I even looking at? Is this some spin-off where Spongebob is now a superhero and fights crime near the beach?

Avaitor

In the last third of the movie, it becomes a CG/live-action hybrid, and this is the result of that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I wanted to mention this episode I saw about a week ago.

The central plot involves Squidward realizing he never had a "happiest memory" which leads Spongebob, of course, to try all sorts of things to make Squidward have one. This episode highlights everything I don't like about the show as it is now.

Squidward gets mercilessly kicked around in this episode despite literally doing nothing wrong, and falls into a deep depression actually being suicidal (suicide jokes are also used which is just off for a kids show like this) and hitting rock bottom. The episode ends with Spongebob throwing a party for Squidward, and nobody shows up, though he makes cardboard cutouts of himself to fill the party. Squidward then snaps and chainsaws every fake Spongebob as graphically as censors will allow as the episode ends.

There is no joke here. There is no story. There is no reason for this episode to have been made.

How did this show get this bad?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I got scared just from reading that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

The Spongebob writers need to learn that mean-spirited humor is only funny in small doses and when balanced by light-hearted/feel good humor. The also need to learn that making a character just a punching-bag for no good reason is never funny. Meg abuse is one of the worst parts about Family Guy, and Squidward abuse is one of the worst parts about Spongebob, period.

But really, episodes like that exist because the writers have simply run out of ideas, so they are just slapping together whatever lazy, half-assed storyline they can make and just pad it out to eleven minutes. There are few well-structured episodes anymore. It's mostly just a whole bunch of meandering nonsense. It's no wonder why it's so terrible now.

talonmalon333

If it makes you feel better, Squidward does have a happiest memory. His lifelong dream was to play for the Bubble Bowl, and he accomplished that big time. That freeze frame shot at the end of Band Geeks is the happiest he's ever looked.

This episode says he has no happiest memory? In that case, it's non-canon. All post-movie episodes are non-canon.

Spark Of Spirit

Squidward getting comeuppance is only funny when he, you know, does something to earn it. The episode was just one huge character beatdown with an ending that was probably the single laziest I've ever seen in this show.

Literally half of the jokes are just Squidward dressing shabbily and moaning about how pointless his life is. There's no joke here. We're just supposed to laugh because he's miserable and suicidal. No idea what they were thinking on this one, but wow was it awful.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I never minded Meg abuse. In fact, weren't there some jokes about them choosing between Chris and Meg and they always choose Meg? Yeah, I actually liked those. :D I don't mind them using Meg to make fun of that type of character - the problem is, they all act like jerks to each other. It's like one of the most insincere shows ever made.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Also, Squidward abuse wasn't at all one of the worst parts of classic SpongeBob (though there really weren't any "worst parts" of that era). It was always done well. The Camping Episode, for example, was one of the better episodes of the whole series.

Spark Of Spirit

The Conch episode? That had actual jokes and Squidward actually being a jerk. This one didn't even have that.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 02, 2014, 04:19:01 PM
The Conch episode? That had actual jokes and Squidward actually being a jerk. This one didn't even have that.

I was talking about the sea bear episode, but yeah, the conch episode is another phenomenal episode. Classic SpongeBob knew how to handle the abuse well.

talonmalon333

What would you guys consider to be the ultimate reason why SpongeBob has declined since seasons 1-3?

Dr. Insomniac