SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I do think The Sponge Who Could Fly is one of the lower tier episodes, though largely for opposite reasons you listed. For me, the Patchy segments just go for too long. That's a reaccuring problem that I also have with SpongeBob's House Party. This might be why Christmas Who? is the best double length episode. In that episode, Patchy doesn't have much screen time.

But anyway, as for The Sponge Who Could Fly, I do like the songs. But those, along with the Patchy filler, just feel like they are trying to fill up space for an episode that otherwise isn't good enough.

Spark Of Spirit

My Pretty Seahorse might have a boring plot, but the jokes are hilarious. The karma line from Squidward and the resulting explosion is one of my favorite moments in the entire show's run. Not to mention there's a lot of really good lines in the episode.

"Mystery, you ate my hat. Mystery, you ate my spatula! You ate all the Krabby Patties! You ate the stove! You ate old man Jenkins!"
"I don't want to be a burden."

"Folks, we have a minor situation going on in the kitchen."
"Where's our food?"
"I'm so hungry!"
"This is my only lunch hour!"
"Where's Old Man Jenkins!?"

"Why must every eleven minutes of my life be filled with misery?"

"She seems mysterious, so I'll call her Mystery. Come to think of it, she also seems graceful and majestic. Maybe I should call her Grace, or Majesty, or Debbie."

"What was that?"
"I was just doing my impression of Mystery. Wee-snaw."
"Well, keep working on it. That was terrible."

"Why don't you ask CowBob RanchPants and his faithful companion Sir Eats-A-Lot?"
"SpongeBob, what's the meaning of all these nicknames?"
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

My Pretty Seahorse is a good one, but I think it's overshadowed by its partner episode, Club SpongeBob. However, it has a phenomenal moment at the end.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Can't you see I don't want you anymore? Just get out of here, you stupid, dumb animal."
(Unbeknownst to SpongeBob, Mystery has already left and Patrick stands in her place. Upon these words, he also walks off into the wilderness.)

Speedy

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 19, 2014, 12:41:54 PM"Well, what are you waiting for? Can't you see I don't want you anymore? Just get out of here, you stupid, dumb animal."
(Unbeknownst to SpongeBob, Mystery has already left and Patrick stands in her place. Upon these words, he also walks off into the wilderness.)
That is indeed a great moment.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Of course he was lying. Squilliam is a jerk.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 18, 2014, 04:33:13 PMAs for I'm With Stupid, I think it's really funny. How does it grate, Spark?
The constant "Spongebob, you're so dumb-no no don't convince me otherwise" fills up the entirety of the back half of the segment. Thankfully, the ending is really clever, but the whole Patrick and his "parents" insulting Spongebob's intelligence schtick got old fast.

At the very least, I don't think it was particularly mean spirited. I mean, Patrick was picking on him, but really, the joke was on Patrick.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 19, 2014, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Of course he was lying. Squilliam is a jerk.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 18, 2014, 04:33:13 PMAs for I'm With Stupid, I think it's really funny. How does it grate, Spark?
The constant "Spongebob, you're so dumb-no no don't convince me otherwise" fills up the entirety of the back half of the segment. Thankfully, the ending is really clever, but the whole Patrick and his "parents" insulting Spongebob's intelligence schtick got old fast.

At the very least, I don't think it was particularly mean spirited. I mean, Patrick was picking on him, but really, the joke was on Patrick.
Pretty much, but it was the same joke repeated for like 3 minutes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

At the same time, I like how you can sort of pinpoint the moment when Patrick probably remembered that SpongeBob's stupidity was just an act. When his dad is talking about how much he can see how Patrick has grown at the end (right before the twist), Patrick suddenly has this look that says "Oh wait...".

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2014, 12:13:44 PM
"Why must every eleven minutes of my life be filled with misery?"

I just noticed this quote in your post. I'm pretty sure that's Club SpongeBob, not My Pretty Seahorse. :P

What do you guys think of the SpongeBob movie?

Speedy

I enjoy it.  So according to Richard Roeper, I must be on drugs.   :wth:

Dr. Insomniac

Gene Siskel also said that Mark Hamill was a bad Joker. Even the best critics have some off days.

talonmalon333

Good thing there aren't loads of people taking that Siskel opinion as if it were a truth.

As for the SpongeBob movie, I was never sure how I felt about the "just kids" theme that runs throughout the movie. I mean, it was never really a big thing in the series.

talonmalon333

So I'm trying to think of my ten favorite SpongeBob segments. And I'm not referring to just jokes. I'm referring to stretches (Sweet Victory, SpongeBob and Patrick running through the perfume department, etc.), generally ranging from one to three minutes. But I want to make sure I don't forget anything. So before I make a list, I'd like to ask you guys, what are your personal favorite segments in SpongeBob?

talonmalon333

Come on, Sponge fans. :thinkin:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 24, 2014, 09:59:10 PM
what are your personal favorite segments in SpongeBob?

Dr. Insomniac

Speedy

Not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but:

-Sandy commanding the town to search for SpongeBob in "Pre-Hibernation Week".  ("This is a load of barnacles..."  "I heard that!")
-SpongeBob's bad stand-up in "Squirrel Jokes".  ("Didja ever notice how... forks..."  "Forks?!  Come on!")
-Squidward at first ecstatic to live in Squidville but gradually getting more and more depressed.
-The townspeople running away from the harmless butterfly in "Wormy"
-SpongeBob testing the bus in "Rock Bottom"
-SpongeBob's declaration that he wants to stay a kid and his various ways of crying in "Grandma's Kisses"
-Patrick coming home late many times in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve"  (Uhhhhhh)
-SB, Patrick, Krabs, and Squidward teasing Sandy over her lack of fish skills in "Pressure"