SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Speedy on September 26, 2014, 09:12:36 AM
-SpongeBob's declaration that he wants to stay a kid and his various ways of crying in "Grandma's Kisses"

Whenever people complain about the message in the movie that "We're just kids", when people say that SpongeBob was never a kid, I feel the need to direct them to this episode.

What do you guys think of the holiday episodes (Scaredy Pants, Valentine's Day, Fools in April, and Christmas Who?)?

LumRanmaYasha

The holiday episodes? They're good...wouldn't say most of them were necessarily special, though. "Christmas Who" is easily the best one and the one that feels most like an "event episode," but even it feels like just an average classic Spongebob ep rather than a really standout one.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 30, 2014, 02:34:15 PM
The holiday episodes? They're good...wouldn't say most of them were necessarily special, though. "Christmas Who" is easily the best one and the one that feels most like an "event episode," but even it feels like just an average classic Spongebob ep rather than a really standout one.

I'd say it was more than average. There was a lot of heart put into it, and I thought it was very funny. Plus I like the song. If I made a top 20 episode list, I would honestly include it. But I have to say, in my opinion, Valentine's Day is right behind it and is probably the funniest holiday episode (Christmas Who? is just a really nice episode). So many great quotes.

"A handshake? You got me a handshake?"

"Patrick needs love, too!"

"Attention everyone! There's a fat, pink starfish on the loose!"

"Heart on stick must die!"

"You must all think I'm pretty dumb, don't you?"
"Yes! Turn around!"

And then there's Patrick's miserable expression.

I honestly think it's one of the best season 1 episodes, if not the best.

Scaredy Pants and Fools in April are good but I think they fall more in line when your opinions. They're good and nice to watch at their appropriate times of the year, but not amazing stand alone episodes.

Commode

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 16, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
By the way, I really like the Christmas special, Christmas Who?. However, even though this was a joke I once loved, I can't say how much I actually like it now, knowing that it was taken directly from Ren & Stimpy.

I just don't know. Nickelodeon in the past has recycled ideas and types of jokes. But this one in particular felt a bit insincere to me. Almost as if they just stuck it in there in the hopes that people would think they came up with it.

For those that need a reminder, in this moment of Christmas Who?, Squidward starts teasing SpongeBob because Santa never came to Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob is upset but gives Squidward a Christmas present anyway. When Squidward sees the gift, feeling ashamed, he says "I feel like a... I feel like a...", then, this image of a donkey fades in along with the sound of a donkey call. This exact same joke was used in Ren & Stimpy, though in that show it was a little less... safe. Instead of showing a donkey, it showed... well, just think of the obvious implications of what the donkey means. That's what appears in Ren & Stimpy.
Other things were "lifted" from Ren and Stimpy, notably the detailed close ups of characters faces(such as Squidward's "does this look unsure to you?" face and Mr. Krabs' getting old/multiple chins face) and of course the dependence on stock music, much of which appeared in R&S prior to appearing in Spongebob.

Also that particular joke harkens back to the old Warner Bros. cartoons such as Falling Hare, where a character would take the appearance of a donkey, except in those jokes the actual word "jackass" was used.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Comeau on September 30, 2014, 04:32:21 PM
Other things were "lifted" from Ren and Stimpy, notably the detailed close ups of characters faces(such as Squidward's "does this look unsure to you?" face and Mr. Krabs' getting old/multiple chins face) and of course the dependence on stock music, much of which appeared in R&S prior to appearing in Spongebob.

Right, but those are more like influences. The donkey is the only joke I can think of that was taken directly from R&S and reused in SpongeBob.

talonmalon333

Something that hasn't been taken note of in this thread: The animation in SpongeBob is great.

Spoiler

[close]

Then there are those painted shots, which are reminiscent of Ren & Stimpy.

Spoiler

[close]

There is also the episode Nasty Patty, and from that episode I could pull dozens of good looking pictures, thanks to the muted colors, the lightning, and the usage of shadows.

Spoiler

[close]

I've always felt the animation took a bit of a nosedive after the movie.

Speedy

"Nasty Patty" is indeed a gorgeous episode, particularly after the health inspector "croaks".  Those sickly green color choices are just fantastic, and something you don't see in every episode.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Speedy on October 07, 2014, 09:17:57 AM
"Nasty Patty" is indeed a gorgeous episode, particularly after the health inspector "croaks".  Those sickly green color choices are just fantastic, and something you don't see in every episode.

Yeah. The first half of the episode, before they think he's dead, looks pretty normal. But once they decide to bury him, that's when the art gets great. You put it alongside any other episode, and it sticks out so much in a beautiful way.

There are some great looking episodes in the series, such as Graveyard Shift, SpongeBob Meets the Strangler, and The Camping Episode. But Nasty Patty might be the best looking.

I really do miss the finer detail that they put into the older episodes. Modern SpongeBob seems to have taken on many common techniques with modern animation, which streamlines the look but loses some of that extra detail. It might be more polished now, but polish really isn't what it's all about. Ren & Stimpy wasn't the most polished show, but artistically it easily surpasses any Nicktoon that came out after it.

Quote from: Comeau on September 30, 2014, 04:32:21 PM
Also that particular joke harkens back to the old Warner Bros. cartoons such as Falling Hare, where a character would take the appearance of a donkey, except in those jokes the actual word "jackass" was used.

I only just noticed this part of the post. You might've edited it in after I responded to the other part of your post. But yeah, that does kind of change the story. :P

It's funny how, in this case, Ren & Stimpy looks like the safer cartoon. Not something you see very often.

talonmalon333

You know (and on the topic of animation) seeing the characters as goofy superheroes in the next movie was a bit cringe worthy for a first impression. But I have to say, the characters in their regular forms look pretty good.

That's entirely CGI, but it almost looks like they were made out of clay. It at least looks better than many other movies, like Alvin and the Chipmunks, where the CGI cartoon characters just look weird.

gunswordfist

the spongebob movie is easily my favorite nick movie. but then again it's probably the only non-live action one i've seen in it's entirety.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Are there any other good Nick movies?

Avaitor

The first 2 Rugrats movies aren't bad. And The Wild Thornberrys Movie is pretty enjoyable despite its source material.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I don't have any memory of Rugrats in Paris (only saw it once, in theaters). I can't say I liked the first movie, though.

gunswordfist

i like harriet the spy, matilda and good burger. that's all i got.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Matilda wasn't a Nickelodeon movie. But Good Burger's pretty cute, depending on your tolerance of Ed, and I did like Harriet the Spy when it came out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/