What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually really liked Sam Smith's Spectre song. I wouldn't call it the best of the year by any stretch, though.

Ennio Morricone definitely deserves recognition for his work.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, on another subject, I wonder what will be selected as the worst movie of the year at the Razzie's. Terminator: Genesys managed to just barely miss the cut and got off the hook, but the nominations are:

Pixels
Fifty Shades of Grey
Jupiter Ascending
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
Fant4stic

Any of them could take it, but my money's on Fifty Shades of Grey being the top contender.

I'm expecting Sylvester Stallone to win the redeemer award, hands down.

Avaitor

I voted for Stallone! And Elizabeth Banks shouldn't have been nominated for that- if anything, she deserved to be nominated for Worst Director.

Fant4stic was a bomb for the ages, and I think has a strong chance of winning. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Twilight and wait to give the last 50 Shades the Golden Razzie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw Bone Tomahawk, a dark Western coincidentally starring Kurt Russel as a law man and released just two months before The Hateful Eight. It's a tad slow, and the horror elements weren't exactly what I was expecting, but overall it was an interesting film.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 14, 2016, 12:42:07 PMFant4stic was a bomb for the ages, and I think has a strong chance of winning. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Twilight and wait to give the last 50 Shades the Golden Razzie.

Oh, God! You mean that there are actually MORE of these things on the way?!

Spark Of Spirit

It's a trilogy. I'm not kidding. Give it to Fant4stic.

Stallone's been making good stuff for a while now. He really should have a redeemer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Come to think of it, I'm surprised that Ridley Scott didn't get nominated for the Redeemer award after the huge success of The Martian. Keep in mind, I'm one of the few people who actually likes Prometheus, but most people hate it, and pretty much everyone agrees that Robin Hood and Exodus really sucked. So, the last few Ridley Scott films have mostly been less than stellar, with most people hailing The Martian as a huge comeback for him. Given all of that, it seems like he would be the perfect candidate for the award.

Avaitor

Wow, the amount of bonus material on the Alien Anthology Blu set is intimidating. There is so much to dig through, but I doubt that I'll find the time to watch much of it!

Aliens is as great as ever, btw.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just saw The Walk. You know, Robert Zemeckis may not have made any true classics for a while, but the guy is a talented director who almost always turns in an entertaining or interesting movie. The Walk may not be a big Oscar candidate, but it was a really fun film to watch.

Avaitor

I went to see The Big Short again with a friend, and it's just as good the second time as it was when I first saw it.

I'm still rooting for Fury Road for Best Picture, but I'd be perfectly happy if this wins instead.

New blog!

Avaitor

The Oscar race is looking interesting. Spotlight has won a lot of the previous awards, while two of the most likely predictors, the PGA and DGAs, have gone to different movies- The Big Short and The Revenant, respectfully. So it could be a toss-up between these three.

Unless the best happens, and these movies cancel out so Mad Max can win BP. :thumbup:

New blog!

Avaitor

Hey EK, guess what- I got your favorite movie on Blu today!

Best Buy has a sale for the Man With No Name trilogy set for only $15 that expires on Saturday. The restorations for GBU is supposed to be a massive improvement over its previous one, which is why I waited so long to add that to my collection. It's a great deal, all in all.

I also got the original Mad Max, since that's also on sale. And now I have all of the movies! And no excuse to sleep on the first and Beyond Thunderdome.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, if I had a Blu-Ray player I would totally hit that up. :joy:

Speaking of GBU, it's a shame that there hasn't been any announcements thus far of 50th Anniversary theater screenings of the film. That film really deserves more love. At the very least I'm sure that Quentin Tarantino will organize and host a private screening of the movie like he did for A Fistful of Dollars two years ago. But, you know, that doesn't really do the general public movie fans (such as myself) any good.

Foggle

Just finished watching Bone Tomahawk. Definitely among the finest westerns of the modern era, and easily one of last year's best movies. Few films have such sharp and engaging character writing. I highly recommend it! :im_nabeshin:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I saw it last month myself. Neat how we got not one, but two good Kurt Russel Westerns in the same year. :joy:

Foggle

Sadly, I never ended up getting to see Hateful Eight in theatres, but I can't wait to catch it when it comes out on DVD!