What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I just rewatched Homeward Bound and it's every bit as good as it was when it came out. But is it just me or was this the first proper "talking animal" movie? I mean, it has the animals talking to each other and all but it manages to not really follow the annoying things most other similar movies do and have done since it came out, which tends to make me think that it must have been one of the first ones.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on December 31, 2011, 05:43:01 PM
I just rewatched Homeward Bound and it's every bit as good as it was when it came out. But is it just me or was this the first proper "talking animal" movie? I mean, it has the animals talking to each other and all but it manages to not really follow the annoying things most other similar movies do and have done since it came out, which tends to make me think that it must have been one of the first ones.
Reminds me of how in Death Wish, there was no part where Bronson conveniently found his family's tormentors and killed them and how his daughter never got better.  They water down so much these days.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

Just finished WFRR.  Another new year, still a classic.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Adventures of Tintin. Best animated feature I've seen in a long time, by far. In fact its easily the best movie that I've seen from 2011, though to be fair I didn't watch too many movies from last year to begin with.

Avaitor

So I may or may not be seeing The Iron Lady with my mom today. I'll be at campus until around 4:30 and I have plans tonight, but if there's enough time in between, we might make it happen.

Also, is anyone interested in the film club idea I brought up a while ago? I'd like to give it a try soon if there's enough interest.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

So here are this year's nominess for Best Picture:

The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

The only one I've seen here is Hugo, which I think is amazing. I've heard good things about The Help, Midnight in Paris and War Horse from my friends, and I'll try to get to those eventually. The Artist too, which I'm trying to go see this week, since it's finally at a local theater.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

... Was Moneyball that good? I heard it was just decent.

Anyway, no real surprises. I bet The Artist walks away with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just....can't get interested in the Oscars any more. I almost never agree with any of their award winner choices or even any of their nominations, and most of the time I find that they severely overrate many of the movies that they nominate, as very rarely do any of their best-picture nominees ever really come across to me as being something truly exceptional, and the few that do never actually seem to have a chance of really winning the award and just seem to be nominated to please the general public more than anything else.

Still, I might give it a watch if I actually have the time to watch it when it airs, though that's doubtful given how much I have to study for this semester.

Avaitor

EK, are you not interested in The Artist or Hugo at all?

Also, I'm going to the movies on Saturday with some friends. What I'm seeing: Underworld.

... not my first choice. By a long shot.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hugo has certainly peeked my interest, but I never got around to seeing it when it was out in theaters, but I'll check it out on DVD whenever I get a chance to go back home and get some free-time from studying.

I haven't really given much thought to The Artist. I heard about it, but haven't looked into it. If you say its good I may give that one a watch as well, but for now I'm indifferent to most movies that have been nominated for Best Picture this year (that is to say that I haven't seen them, and while I'm sure they are good, few of them really interest me).

Avaitor

Hugo reminds me of when live-action kids movie actually had effort and heart put into them, instead of just a bunch of shit and puke jokes. Think E.T., Willy Wonka, and a bunch of Walt-era live-action Disney films.

And I still haven't seen The Artist, but I've been interested in it for a while, and I think it'll be really cool that after all these years, this might be the second silent film to win Best Picture (third if you count Sunrise) and the first film since The Apartment over 50 years ago to win that was shot entirely in black and white (not counting Schindler's List, since the last scene was done in color). I'll come back to you with what I think about it later, but there's plenty that looks good about it to me.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I was just watching Starman. John Carpenter is great outside of horror, too.

It's such a unique film.

Daxdiv

On an impulse I decided to watch Leafie, A Hen into the Wild. Great movie, had some touching moments, nice character development from Leafie, Greenie, the Weasel and a few other character. Any movie that managed to make me sad at various points deserves to be a favorite film of mine. The ending in particular was really touching with Greenine parting way with his mother and Leafie making a sacrifice. If any form of media can make me do a 180 turn from a character I hate to love near the end deserves to be watched, Weasel, I'm talking about you.

Avaitor

Got to see The Artist tonight. Absolutely loved it.

I'm still torn between it or Hugo for Best Picture, but they're both really good movies.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Watching Blue Velvet right now. Not as surreal as I was expecting.

Okay, is it wrong that I like Frank Booth the most out of the cast?