Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 07, 2012, 03:04:49 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 07, 2012, 02:58:25 PMI did feel like it was a bit of a copout that neither Genkai nor Kuwabara died due to the impact I felt about it. I actually felt the saddest about watching Genkai die when I finally watched all of DT last month and probably liked her a bit more afterwards. Seeing her comeback at the end was kind of cheap. For Kuwabara, I liked him much less back then but seeing a preview ahead of where
When YYH aired on TV, Kuwabara's survival was spoiled for me one of the previews. :P
I actually saw it way before it aired on Cartoon Network which made it REAL shocking for me. I kind of like seeing how drastic things get later in some series.

Anyway, today I continued to watch more of Chapter Black. I'm getting a real respect for this arc now:

Episode 71 thoughts: Another reminder that Botan is not the only Grim Reaper...or whatever. And she's the leader. Sensui finally talks. Dear God does he have like the coolest theme music ever. So wait...can one S class demon defeat King Yama (sp?) and his armies or do they mean them as a whole or whatever? And the Three Kings and whatever class of..S class demons are called Super S class, huh? Like before that I just decided to call them S + class demons, lol. Can't believe I missed that info the first time I watched it.

Episode 72: OK, why didn't Copy just keep Reader's powers and have him stay out of that miss? Is it because he has some kind of limit on them? Once I think about it, I guess Togashi just wanted to make us feel sorry for him after what happens to him in a later episode by getting to know him a little better. Oh and the whole Elder Toguro setup. Guess that makes sense.

Ingenious how they didn't kill Reader not because of Genkai's explanation of a warning. She got it wrong. Sniper just injured him so they could go to the hospital and be put in a trap by Doctor. I'm not even on his episode yet but I can see the setup already. Ingenious.

Interesting how Yusuke was scared of Sensui. I expected him to say something stupid like, "Uh, I forgot to attack the guy." since earlier in the series that would have been a perfect setup for a Yusuke being stupid joke. But instead we got to hear Yusuke great first impression of Sensui. I like how Sensui is more...menacing then all the other previous villains. Kind of like what Yusuke said, we got a better feel of what the other villains were about but Sensui is more of a mystery. I'm still trying to figure him out myself. More specifically how much of a bad guy he is and what his motives really are.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I believe S-Class isn't just in power, but in unpredictability of potential. The whole class system is kind of confusing, but I think that's always been consistent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I don't think it's that bad...except when trying to figure out the classes of demons like Rando (Mr. "I'm impervious to human attacks" (wait, does that mean Genkai can't beat him up like she did the more powerful Onji or whatever his name is with her fists) and "I can make my spirit gun stronger than any human's) and the latest head scratcher is the fire demon that was Hiei's first opponent. If Hiei had to use the Darkness Flame because he was that much more powerful than him then does that mean that Zero or however the heck you spell his name was more powerful than Yusuke and Chu(sp?) at the time? Guh. I can go on forever. Togashi certainly does a good job at making important villains seem so powerful but these sometimes it creates confusion.

Spark Of Spirit

I think those guys were just overconfident and talking smack.

Obviously Genkai could have creamed Rando, but she was more interested in finding the best candidate for taking her techniques.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 08, 2012, 09:01:46 PM
I don't think it's that bad...except when trying to figure out the classes of demons like Rando (Mr. "I'm impervious to human attacks" (wait, does that mean Genkai can't beat him up like she did the more powerful Onji or whatever his name is with her fists) and "I can make my spirit gun stronger than any human's) and the latest head scratcher is the fire demon that was Hiei's first opponent. If Hiei had to use the Darkness Flame because he was that much more powerful than him then does that mean that Zero or however the heck you spell his name was more powerful than Yusuke and Chu(sp?) at the time? Guh. I can go on forever. Togashi certainly does a good job at making important villains seem so powerful but these sometimes it creates confusion.

Actually, yes, it was implied that Zeru was more powerful than Chu and the rest of his team in general. A lot of people think for some reason that Chu was the leader of the team just because he fought Yusuke, but that was never mentioned anywhere in either the manga or the anime. He was just one of the members who originally wasn't supposed to fight since he lost rock-paper-scissors in deciding which team members got to go (since there were 6 of them in total, and they were over the limit). Zeru was clearly shown to be the one to worry about, and while I don't remember anything that directly confirmed him as the leader, it was at least implied that he was the strongest of the team by both Kurama and Hiei. That's why Hiei had to use the Dragon on him, since he knew that he was otherwise outclassed by Zeru at the time.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 08, 2012, 09:16:44 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 08, 2012, 09:01:46 PM

Actually, yes, it was implied that Zeru was more powerful than Chu and the rest of his team in general. A lot of people think for some reason that Chu was the leader of the team just because he fought Yusuke, but that was never mentioned anywhere in either the manga or the anime. He was just one of the members who originally wasn't supposed to fight since he lost rock-paper-scissors in deciding which team members got to go (since there were 6 of them in total, and they were over the limit). Zeru was clearly shown to be the one to worry about, and while I don't remember anything that directly confirmed him as the leader, it was at least implied that he was the strongest of the team by both Kurama and Hiei. That's why Hiei had to use the Dragon on him, since he knew that he was otherwise outclassed by Zeru at the time.
Yes, if I recall correctly, what was dangerous about Chu was that they couldn't get a read on him because of his abilities. I don't believe they ever said he was the team's strongest.

Zeru just had bad luck having to fight Hiei.

gunswordfist

I meant with her bare hands and not spirit energy. Of course she could have destroyed Rando with ease.

I'm also concerned more by what other characters say and not just the villains bragging. Still bothered by that bald guy who could fire his version of the spirit gun as much as he wanted to from Genkai's tournament. That doesn't even make sense.

As for EK, Zeru is definitely the team leader BUT I assumed that Chu was a "the more powerful, wild card" type of character. I'm still not convinced that Zeru is stronger than Chu. Zeru was...well dead when Chu came so Kurama and Hiei never compared him to Chu. Very confusing.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the point was that the "Onji" was actually extremely weak physically which is how Genkai could beat him without any spiritual energy. He was extremely proficient in skills, techniques, and attack styles but his physical strength was probably the lowest of anyone in the entire DT arc.

I think the whole thing with the ninja who could fire so many spirit gun blasts was that was better trained than Yusuke was in pretty much everything including how to use spiritual energy which is something Yusuke didn't learn until after the fight. I doubt he could fire it "forever" it just seemed like it in contrast to Yusuke's then piddling spiritual abilities.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Yusuke was clearly outclassed by some of his competitor's in Genkai's tournament. Truth be told, he only won his last 2 matches by pure luck.

talonmalon333

Didn't Kurama say something along the lines of Chu's power being even greater than Zeru's?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 09, 2012, 12:28:37 AM
Didn't Kurama say something along the lines of Chu's power being even greater than Zeru's?
I think there was something like that, but it was basically closer to "His power might even surpass that of Zeru's" indicating that they couldn't gauge him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If he did it must have only been in the anime (and most likely the dub, at that). I've been re-reading the manga recently (the Viz translations, to be specific), and recall him saying no such thing when I read it. I do remember him acknowledging Zeru's superior strength to Hiei, though.

Avaitor

This is COMPLETELY random, but I just searched YYH on tumblr out of boredom, and I saw that someone wants Victoria Justice to play Keiko in a live-action adaptation.

The crazy part? I can actually see that work out.

And I just saw that same person want Demi to play Botan. I am not making that up.

Edit: uh, it looks like an RP combining anime characters and celebs, in Portugese. What a strange combination.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

:shit:

Anyway, just got done watching episode 73 and 74.

73: I like how the group spreaded out like Doctor was going to attack them head on. Yet again, they get attacked in a different way that shocks the group. I think this episode had the most human deaths in the entire series.

74: I love the change of animation for recaps of what happened at the end of a previous episode.

Why the hell did Keiko and whatshername go up towards the danger.

I love how the minor psychic characters played their part in the Doctor fight and weren't just useless. They all helped out Yusuke.

Also love how Genkai isn't useless either. If this was an arc where all the villains went over 9000 then she would have just stayed home. Instead she can stick around using her intelligence and still give Yusuke some pointers.

OK, I got to say the end of Sleep, Doctor, Sleep was as dumb as the stupid romantic comedy ending Michael Bay's The Rock had. Did they actually just hand over Doctor to the police? If it weren't his part of the story to go away until Topside, he would have just slaughtered them and got away. Did they even interrogate him one bit? Genkai, Kurama and Kaito could have worked out something and got some information. I get it was about Yusuke fearing to kill someone and then getting over that test or whatever but come on. And yeah, I know they left fast because of the police but leaving a psychotic psychic behind isn't the best option.

Spark Of Spirit

The doctor was almost dead. Genkai saved his life, she didn't heal him. As we learned, his body isn't invincible he just doesn't feel the pain, and I believe after Yusuke beat him he stopped using his powers. Also, the doctor didn't kill anyone, he paralyzed them all because he wanted them to suffer when the gate opened.

But looking after one of the physics was pretty impossible when there are still more than 6 others roaming around ready to kill them or innocents especially when they're on a time limit. Dealing with the police would have been more of an obstacle than anything else at that point.