Young Justice

Started by Avaitor, January 26, 2011, 08:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Let's see, from this episode I got that it was Connor that broke up with Miss Martian, Beast Boy's mom died in a car crash that was probably caused by Queen Bee, Adam Strange knows the works of Lewis Carroll (Which was one of my favorite parts in the episode) and that Miss Martian is probably as cold as ever since she did the same thing she did to Psimon to that other alien.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still going to watch the show, but the reveal that Aqualad turned into a bad guy because his girl died just sounds stupid to me. I know we knew very little about him in comparison to the rest of the group, but he was always the most reliable of the team. Seeing this just feels random.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'm sorry to say, but this series has just completely lost my interest since the beginning of this season. I don't like any of the new plot points, its actually caused me to stop giving a fuck about the original team members from season 1 now, and I still have no clue what's going on aside from the fact that this invasion has to do with those 16 hours that the key Justice League members went missing back in season 1 when they were under the control of Vandal Savage.

The show is just so boring for me now, honestly. I'll watch a few more episodes in the hopes that things improve, but so far all 3 of the episodes that have aired for season 2 so far are stinkers, IMO. I just don't care for them and I don't like the way that this season is shaping up.

Meanwhile Avengers: EMH is staying consistently strong, which makes this look even worse in comparison when I directly compare this show to that one.

Spark Of Spirit

Ironically, this is the very same problem EMH had at the beginning of the series. Too much going on, no cohesion, and we're just thrown into situation after situation. This really would have benefited from having a season between the two.

Also, I doubt Aqualad's a real traitor.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

From her Twitter, I'm starting to agree with JesuOtaku on how the show's going to the crapper. It's become a soap opera where the characters get routinely screwed over by the plot instead of by their own faults.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm just honestly confused as to what Greg Weisman is trying to do here. He's never been the type to let plot overcome characters, nor the type to rush through episodes at light speed.

So far, there hasn't needed to be a time gap for any reason other than to introduce more characters, and that's really unlike him.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And so far absolutely NONE of the new characters have even gotten any real characterization. And if Weisman's primary focus is the story, he and his writers aren't doing a very good job of it with this season, so far. The story is just all over the place and I'm left completely confused. Maybe its because I'm not familiar with the comics, but that's a stupid reason since I was able to follow season 1 just fine and I had never read a Young Justice comic in my life. I don't even see why we needed a major time-skip like this in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

This story was never in the comics, it's completely original.

But again, think about it. This was originally going to be only 10 episodes. I can only imagine how that would have turned out. I'm still willing to give this a chance, but he needs to slooooooooooooooooooooow down. Season 1 was a bit too slow, but this is way too far in the other extreme.

I would have preferred if they kept the new team smaller, too. Robin (Tim Drake), Impulse, Blue Beetle, Lagoon Boy, and Wonder Girl would have been enough with some focus on the older members. Some stand alone episodes are definitely needed.

Spark Of Spirit

I liked the newest episode. It was a lot slower and focused on fewer characters than before. Also it's nice to see more on the whole Red Arrow situation. No cheap twists this time, everything seems to make more sense.

Also, I'm starting to think Superboy should be team leader. Somehow he's not only the only team member taking his job seriously, but is actually the most down to earth. He also seems to have heat vision now, if I heard him right. I also really liked seeing more of Blue Beetle, it was nice to see one of the new members actually fleshed out.

*Spoilers*I really hope Red Arrow doesn't become Arsenal... That's something we really don't need to see in animation.*Spoilers*

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the episode. Its a slight improvement, but it still hasn't swayed me too much, being that I'm still confused on the first 3 episodes of the season and this hasn't helped to clear those up at all.

What I liked:

I did like Red Arrow's story-line getting re-visited, here, and for the most part it actually makes sense without too many contrivances....except for the fact that there's apparently another clone of Roy talking to the Roy clone who's currently posing as Red Arrow? Maybe I'm forgetting something from season 1 or missing something entirely, but what exactly is up with that? Also, I have no idea how he would have hooked up with Cheshire. That just came out of nowhere. But I did like the focus on Red Arrow himself.

Superboy and Blue Beetle- These 2 got plenty of focus in this episode, Superboy has proven that he has matured and would make quite a good leader (as Desensitized has pointed out; though to be fair Nightwing has been shown to be just as serious about the team as Superboy and seems to currently deserve his status as leader), and for once we got to learn about one of the new team members.

I also like that we got to see Wally and Artemis, and even though they are no longer heroes it doesn't seem like they were forcefully written out of the series to make room for the new characters, since it makes sense that they would quit doing dangerous work once they decided to start a relationship.

What I didn't like:

I fucking hate The Light. I'm sorry, but these are some pretty badly done villains. I don't get the motivation of any of them, I hardly even know any of them, and I hate how they always seem to have the upper hand in anything without any shred of depth to their characters. Also, there seems to be yet another big bad guy that should apparently cause the heroes some great trouble in the future and the show lets us know that by not showing him yet since he's apparently some big reveal waiting to happen. Personally I'm sick of all this. Stop building up new villains and plot-twists when you haven't even fleshed out the current ones. Greg Weisman should know better than this.

Also, the general plot-line of this season still makes no sense to me. Please explain what the fuck is going on with this invasion and why I should care about any of it. The show certainly hasn't done that for me, yet.

Spark Of Spirit

This didn't really seem to have much about the actual invasion, it seems it was just about old alien life being used as a weapon by the Light. But I agree, none of the villains have been fleshed out at all- save maybe Icicle Jr. Which is why it's lame that it seems like he's back to being a one note bad guy.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2012, 01:48:08 AM
except for the fact that there's apparently another clone of Roy talking to the Roy clone who's currently posing as Red Arrow? Maybe I'm forgetting something from season 1 or missing something entirely, but what exactly is up with that?
That was actually Guardian. Why they made him look so much like Roy AND even using the same voice actor, I don't know, but that wasn't actually Red Arrow/Speedy.

I'm actually confused as to why the Light has done nothing with either Superboy Prime or Speedy yet. I mean, it's been five years. There had to have been chances.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2012, 01:55:16 AM
That was actually Guardian. Why they made him look so much like Roy AND even using the same voice actor, I don't know, but that wasn't actually Red Arrow/Speedy.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I have no idea who Guardian is since I don't read comics, which is why I have to agree that its pretty stupid that they made him look like Roy and have the exact same voice actor with the exact same tone of voice. As far as I could tell he was another clone. That just really threw me off, especially since his character was never established last season and they just threw him out here in this episode.

Goldstar

This was a good episode this week.  I like the Batgirl/Wonder Girl (Cassie)/Bumblebee/Miss Martian team-up. For once an all female super hero team that didn't shove the whole "Girl Power!" thing down everyone's collective throats.

Also, it seems evident that Jamie's missing friend Ty will eventually become Apache Chief. The shows' writers have dropped some subtle hints towards this conclusion:

1) Ty's grandfather mentions that Ty is the last in a long line of Apache chiefs.

2) Ty's surname is "Longshadow", which was also the name of the Ultiman version of AC who appeared in the Justice League Unlimited episode "Ultimatum".

The fact that Ty wasn't found or rescued at the episode's end could likewise mean that this will be touched upon in a later episode. Last season, we got Wendy & Marvin, and now Apache Chief. Could The Wonder Twins, Samurai and El Dorado be next?
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

I've enjoyed the last two episodes since they put the plot in the background to develop some characters instead. I'm really digging Jaime, and enjoyed the mission with the gals, and I hope the next few episodes are a lot slower like this. We have all these characters, now let us get to know them.

As for a prediction, I'm expecting Barry Allen to meet his end and Wally to step in for him. The reason? Because I'm still expecting Bart (probably will be re-written as some kind of a Barry/Wally clone) to show up as the new Kid Flash. Why do I keep mentioning this? Because I'm almost positive that it will happen.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This episode finally got me to start caring about one of the new team members, Blue Beetle. It also only juggled 2 plots at once instead of like....5 of them. I'm hoping that the rest of the episodes this season follows the pacing of this one, because it was pretty perfect here.