Young Justice

Started by Avaitor, January 26, 2011, 08:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Did anyone else watch this week's episode?

At the end, Wally brought up the possibility that Kaldur might actually be a triple agent. I really hope that just turns out to be false theorizing on his part because I'd find a twist like that to be way too ridiculous. I'd be fine with Kaldur being a straight-up traitor or a double-agent, but having him be a traitor in the form of a triple-agent is the kind of convoluted nonsense that has been bugging me about this season of YJ up until now.

Another thing that I didn't like about this episode is how at the end Nightwing tried to justify their plan to rescue Lagoon Boy by....having Kaldur take even more of his team hostage in order to gain the trust of The Light.....

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Wally about that being a stupid idea. Putting more members at risk to essentially save one member. I mean, I know that the plan is supposed to be to save them all since Kaldur passed some important intel on the villains to Nightwing, but that doesn't change the fact that they now have 3 more members as captives in enemy territory. That said, I at least hope that they follow through with this plan now that its in action. I'd be far more ticked off if this turned out to be some deceptive strategy with yet another twist behind it.

Other than that, the episode had some OK moments for some of the supporting characters, but it went back to doing a lot of the things that I haven't liked about this season so far. That's just my personal opinion, though.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, so much meticulous and often ridiculous plotting is going to make the payoff feel so anticlimactic if they keep going like this, if there even is any payoff.

Avaitor

Finally playing catch-up, and I just want to say that I loved the fight between Roy and Mercy.

The rest of the episode is fine, too, although the frequent jump cutting was off-setting.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Okay, I think I've found a way to untangle the plotlines. Nightwing let half his team and a handful of kids get kidnapped by Aqualad, while letting the other half of the team foil that plan. While the Light wouldn't tolerate that kind of failure, there was a consolation prize in that: It helped the Reach get better public relations in the world while heightening Aqualad's relationship with them, if only slightly. With the Reach as their ally, the Earth, the Justice League, and the Light are now prepared to fight the true invasion: Apokolips.

Of course, this includes the theory that Impulse comes from an altenate dimension than a separate time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If people like you and me can barely follow what's going on in this show, I wonder how kids would be holding up with this series.

Peanutbutter

The first episode not on iTunes and no one has anything to say about it?  Why? :wth:

It was good. I don't like that Despero was silent, but the fight he had with The Team was fun to watch. Mal stole the episode for me, when he was pretending he was Earth's greatest champion he sounded like a WWE wrestler.  :awesome: Until this point he's been a background character, but I'm now looking forward to seeing him as Guardian later.

The meeting with Tseng, the Ambassador and Captain Atom was really great.  Obviously, PR is not Atom's strong suit. But then again, he's a military guy and doesn't have the public speaking experience of Superman or Batman. I didn't know until this episode that The Watchtower was a secret. Considering that Earth is facing multiple alien threats and The Light have already breached the Tower's security, there is no possible good reason the Justice League kept this from the government that I can think of. That was well done.

I hope one of the B-plots in an upcoming episode will be the trial the League is undergoing, it would be a great chance for them to reveal whatever the next step of The Light's plan is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the episode. Before anything, I have to say that the really infrequent airing schedule of this show is really annoying since there's so many characters and so many events to keep track of that a few months in-between episodes really makes things confusing when I pick the series back up. There are so many sub-plots going on that its all really hard to keep track of, unless I took the time to re-watch the entire season from scratch up to this point each time new episodes are about to finally air again.

As for the episode itself, though, it was decent, and thankfully it focused on mostly on main plot-points so I was able to follow what was going on just fine this time (for the most part). Miss Martian being afraid of using her psychic powers against anyone after what she ended up misguidedly doing to Aqua Lad is understandable, but her dilemma was handled is a pretty predictable and uninteresting way, IMO. I did enjoy the general action of this episode, if nothing else, and as far as the plot goes, it'll be interesting to see how the Justice League will react to Blue Beetle revealing his secret about the apocalyptic future he's supposedly destined to cause that Impulse warned him about. Yeah, that's really about all I can think to complement the episode for, but to be honest I've kind of lowered by expectations for this show by quite a bit as on the whole, as you all know, I've found this 2nd season to be fairly underwhelming. It could still get better, though, but I'm not going to hold any special hopes up for that.

Peanutbutter

A great episode today. Lot of good tension with the possibility of Artemis' cover getting blown Black Manta. And I enjoyed the scene where Superboy chewed out Nightwing for not keeping him and Miss Martian in the loop. He was right not to let the new Team members know, but that was still a mistake. But, oh well Nightwing is not infallible and it's good that he isn't.

Miss Martian is still in their custody, so things are really going to heat up soon.

Peanutbutter

So apparently, Cartoon Network's Upfront information has gone around despite it not being until April. Since when has that happened?  ??? Anyway, neither Young Justice or Green Lantern are listed under returning shows so of course people are assuming that automatically means they're canceled. 

Goldstar

All I know about DC Nation is that Warner Brothers has 2 new animated series scheduled to air on the block: Beware the Batman and Teen Titans Go! These 2 shows will likely be replacing GL and YJ on the lineup (since I really doubt that Cartoon Network would expand the block to 2 hours). Whether this means that GL and YJ will be gone for good remains to be seen. I'm not assuming anything until I hear something from CN or WBA officially.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

YJ is a Weisman show. It was pre-destined to only run for two years. The time jump in Invasion and frequent scheduling issues probably didn't do the show any favors, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Quote from: Avaitor on January 28, 2013, 02:33:16 PM
YJ is a Weisman show. It was pre-destined to only run for two years. The time jump in Invasion and frequent scheduling issues probably didn't do the show any favors, either.

The show did well in the ratings, it was the death of the toyline that did the show in.

Peanutbutter

Yeah, sadly I don't think it'd matter one bit if Cartoon Network didn't put it on hiatus as much. With the toy line canceled, the show is kaput. I guess it's because of the bigger budgets they require, that CN wants their action shows to have good selling merchandise to fall back on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I'd say its a shame, but to be honest I wasn't enjoying this season all too much so while I do think that its unfortunate for yet another Weisman show to get cut-off early, I'm also somewhat relieved that this may give him the opportunity to start up fresh with something new (even if its another comic-book-based series), being that YJ has been heading in a direction that'd be likely to lose my interest in future seasons if it continued on this way.

Either way, whenever it is that Weisman does ever get to his next show, it'd be great if he could do something original again, just like how Gargoyles was not based off of any existing comic book property, and IMO its still the best series that he's worked on by far.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh well, that's a shame. It was nice to finally see Connor, Bart, and Tim (the real one) animated, at least.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 28, 2013, 04:53:12 PMEither way, whenever it is that Weisman does ever get to his next show, it'd be great if he could do something original again, just like how Gargoyles was not based off of any existing comic book property, and IMO its still the best series that he's worked on by far.
This will probably not happen, unfortunately.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton