Young Justice

Started by Avaitor, January 26, 2011, 08:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

It was an okay finale. Wrapped things up nicely, showed how far the team and these characters have come. Solid stuff. The Darkseid ending was too much of a tease for my tastes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a kick out of it.  :D

Personally, I didn't like how Kid Flash "died" without much build up in the last few episodes. It just came off as forced to me. Blue Beetle had a great moment when he took down Black Beetle, and the Rimbor Trial was fun, but overall it felt like somewhat of an underwhelming finale. Or maybe just a whelming finale.  :sly:

I liked the Green Lantern: The Animated Series finale better myself. It had better build up, felt a little more natural, and ended the series on a high note. I'll miss both these shows though. Both were great. I really hope Teen Titans Go! and Beware the Batman aren't awful replacements, but I'm not exactly filled with much confidence...

I should re-watch this show from the beginning sometime. Hopefully it will come to Netflix soon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was an incredibly rushed finale....which is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. For what its worth, I still enjoyed the episode, but I'm going to have to agree that the cliffhanger ending was such a damn tease (just like with The Spectacular Spider-Man). I'm aware that originally there were more seasons planned for this series, but after finding out that the series would be canceled with season 2, Greg Weisman really should have just cut out that last scene, as it serves no purpose other than to build things up for a 3rd season which we will never get.

Also, I have to agree with Cartoon X about Kid Flash's death. That character was so underutilized this series that his death really had no impact to it, especially since there was no build-up to him making a big sacrifice or anything of the sort. It kind of just happened, and as the big dramatic moment of the episode, I have to be honest and say that I wasn't really buying the drama.

Overall, I think that this series was OK. Season 1 was solid, but I didn't absolutely love it, either. As for season 2, I personally didn't care for it, on the whole, though it did have a few pretty solid episodes in the mix. To me, this is easily a far weaker series than Gargoyles and The Spectacular Spider-Man, but its still an above average cartoon in its own right.

Goldstar

I have to agree that the Young Justice finale did feel a tad rushed. It was clear that Greg Weisman included the Darksied teaser with the hopes that Cartoon Network (or possibly some other network) just might order a 3rd season of the show. Likewise with Tim x Cassie; that just came from out of nowhere and with zero build-up, it was impossible for me to have any feelings about it.

Regarding Wally's heroic sacrifice: It happened too late in the episode for it to make a real impact. I'm guessing that the writers must have felt that Wally had become a redundant character now that Bart and Barry were around. YJ didn't need 3 super speedsters, and so the writers chose to get rid of 1. However, I personally don't believe that Wally actually died just then. We just saw Wally howl in pain and then kind of disappear. I've watched enough TV to know that no body = no death. We never saw Wally's lifeless corpse, so I'm going to assume that he may still be alive and merely trapped between dimensions or something similar. After all, this wouldn't be the 1st "death fake-out" that was seen on YJ.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

I'm guessing that would have been a plot akin to Flashpoint or what happened to Barry Allen when he came back to the main DCU. Alas, such is the fate of unfinished plots.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, if we had a 3rd season, I'm 100% positive that it would have been revealed that Wally is alive but in the future or some other dimension or some sci-fi crap like that.

GregX

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2013, 01:50:35 PM
Yeah, if we had a 3rd season, I'm 100% positive that it would have been revealed that Wally is alive but in the future or some other dimension or some sci-fi crap like that.

Not really his style, death is permanent in Weisman shows, and he has gone on record many times over the years that he hates killing characters only to resurrect them later. Which is why he revealed a still living Norman Osborn at the end of Spec Spidey and not in season four when the character would have returned. Wally West is dead.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fair enough, but I may have been mislead to think that by how many characters had fake-out deaths in this series. That said, while I wasn't a fan of the way that Wally was killed off, if a 3rd season ever were made, I myself would much prefer that he stayed dead rather than having him come back in a total cop out, as I'm not a fan of character resurrections, either.

Spark Of Spirit

I rather would have expected Barry to die and Wally become the next Flash, but I guess he gets points for not doing the obvious thing. It was still pretty out of left field, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

As much as I was dissatisfied by the second season, I still feel that the show got a bum deal by the execs. And more likely than not, the third season could've been an improvement.

Also, this girl knows the score.

Silverstar

Eh, I think I'm over the cancellations of these shows now. Yeah, it sucks that they're over now, and no doubt Cartoon Network played a part in their premature demise by not promoting and supporting them they way they probably could have or should have, but at the same time, I liked Green Lantern: TAS but I wasn't in love with it, and the Young Justice show that I really liked ended at season 1. I'll just find something else to watch.

I really feel sorry for action fans, though; aside from Ben 10 on CN,  Legend of Korra and TMNT on Nickelodeon and Transformers Prime on The Hub, action in general is having a hard time thriving right now. I think some of the problem stems from how continuity-heavy so many action toons are. Perhaps initiating stand-alone stories are part of the solution: a lot of the current action toons employ ongoing story arcs, which network execs tend to frown upon since they have to be shown in a specific order for continuity and serial shows tend not to do well in reruns; suits prefer comedy cartoons right now since they typically do self-contained stories and can be run and rerun in no particular order, and fans can start watching them at any point and not be lost. Both the Batman and Superman animated series proved that stand-alone plots can be done on an action cartoon and still be entertaining. Just a thought.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Yeah. I mean, I really enjoyed Green Lantern: TAS, but it never went beyond just being a good show, and Young Justice peaked too soon. I'd stick around if they were renewed, but what's done is done.

And it does seem like action shows get the short end of the stick nowadays, but kids really do seem to prefer comedy. Even the more episodic shows just don't do as well as SpongeBob, Adventure Time or Phineas & Ferb.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Neither shows were great, IMO (including season 1 of YJ), but they were still both of a considerably high level of quality, and I feel that had they both continued, they would have had the opportunity for vast improvement. With Young Justice, I feel that Weisman just needed to get the pacing of the series back on track, and not extend the focus to too many characters, but rather keep it's attention on a core few heroes and villains, with other characters being prominent in the background, but never completely shifting the spotlight of attention every few minutes. On the other hand, Green Lantern could have gone more into the psychological dilemmas of other characters besides just Razor, and the way that series was set up, we still had plenty of room for a bunch of great stories that could have been told.

I'm not exactly torn up by the premature cancellation of either of these series in the same way that I was about something like The Spectacular Spider-Man, but overall I still feel that there are other shows that CN could have given the cut in their place, as these are still probably 2 of the better series that the channel had in its line-up, IMO.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Silverstar on March 22, 2013, 02:31:42 PM
Eh, I think I'm over the cancellations of these shows now. Yeah, it sucks that they're over now, and no doubt Cartoon Network played a part in their premature demise by not promoting and supporting them they way they probably could have or should have, but at the same time, I liked Green Lantern: TAS but I wasn't in love with it, and the Young Justice show that I really liked ended at season 1. I'll just find something else to watch.

I really feel sorry for action fans, though; aside from Ben 10 on CN,  Legend of Korra and TMNT on Nickelodeon and Transformers Prime on The Hub, action in general is having a hard time thriving right now. I think some of the problem stems from how continuity-heavy so many action toons are. Perhaps initiating stand-alone stories are part of the solution: a lot of the current action toons employ ongoing story arcs, which network execs tend to frown upon since they have to be shown in a specific order for continuity and serial shows tend not to do well in reruns; suits prefer comedy cartoons right now since they typically do self-contained stories and can be run and rerun in no particular order, and fans can start watching them at any point and not be lost. Both the Batman and Superman animated series proved that stand-alone plots can be done on an action cartoon and still be entertaining. Just a thought.
My favorite type of show has always been something like Batman: TAS or Gravity Falls, were its primarily episodic but there's still some sense of continuity.

It does seem the action shows today are either episodic and toy-driven (Ben 10,TMNT) or related to another successful series (Korra, which unfortunately didn't have the best writing). These types of shows aren't inherently bad, but it does make it harder for a lot of action shows to succeed.  Action cartoons seem to go in and out of fashion, so I guess we're just in one of those "out" times.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

$10,000,000?

Good luck with that.  :>