My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 12, 2015, 08:39:08 AM
I had to admit, I didn't see that ending coming. Partially because I was told they were never going to succeed back in season one. It's nice to see all their effort finally rewarded after so long.

It's been a great season so far, honestly.

I thought that if it was ever going to happen, the writers would save it for either the very last episode of the series or the movie. So, the fact that it happened in what at first seemed like a fairly typical "Cutie-Mark Crusaders vs. Diamond Tiara"-episode was a pleasant surprise, on top of everything else.
Speaking of which, I thought the songs in this episode were really good. Ingram and Rogers really brought their A-game to this one.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

So, now that the season is over, what did you guys think about the finale?
Personally, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it did a satisfying job wrapping up what has been a really strong season. A bit rushed in the end, perhaps, but otherwise I have no real complaints. Anyway. I'm definitely on-board for season six.

Spoilers below: Do not read unless you've seen the episodes:

Spoiler
I must admit, I got a kick out of seeing all the previous villains again. Even if only Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon had any lines.
Also, I guess Starlight will be one of the main characters from now on.
[close]
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought it was a really good season overall, even better than 4, which I really liked. The standalone episodes had a lot of good character moments and the two-parters were really clever. I actually enjoyed how high the stakes were in the finale despite the fact that so few characters were directly involved in it. I'm definitely eager to see season 6 whenever it starts up. They've managed to do pretty well so far keeping the quality consistent.

Overall, I think I would rate the seasons like this:

5 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 3
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Between season 4 and 5, I'm not sure which one of them is my favorite, this show really bounced back after the third season.
Anyway, if I were to list my favorite episodes this season,  it would look something like this:

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
Crusaders of the Lost Mark
Slice of Life
Amending Fences
Rarity Investigates
The Cutie Map
The Cutie Re-Mark
Make New Friends But Keep Discord
Scare Master
Castle Sweet Castle

I should point out that the order I listed in them in is fairly arbitrary.

Favorite new character: Starlight Glimmer. An excellent antagonist who was completely different from the show's previous big bads and one of the year's best villains, in my opinion.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

That's a good list. If I were to make a top 10, it would be something like this:

Amending Fences
Rarity Investigates
Crusaders of the Lost Mark
Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
The Cutie Map
The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
The Cutie Re-Mark
Slice of Life
Party Pooped
Scare Master

It was a bit hard to choose between them. The season was pretty strong.

I also agree with Starlight Glimmer. It was nice to see such a normal villain to the season that was a threat in a whole new way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Looks like I should catch up on this show again. I fell out of it after being disappointed by season 3, but if 4 and 5 are really the best seasons yet, then I'm sure to enjoy them.

Spark Of Spirit

Season 3 was unquestionably the weakest season. Half the episodes are dull, the season finale is rushed, and the two-part premiere isn't as exciting as any of the others. Not to mention, it's the shortest season by far. Also, its highs aren't all that high.

Season 4 and 5 are closer to the style of 1 and 2, but, in my opinion, have tighter writing and manage to have some really good continuity. Also the premieres and finales are the best of the whole series. They tie in the themes of the series better than the lesson of the week style season 1, and much of 2, was so obvious about.

But I'm also of the opinion that the first two seasons get a lot of passes for things the latter two improve on and get no credit for, so I doubt my opinion is anywhere close to the majority.

Nel_Annette

I had to force myself through the second half of season three and then only made it four episodes into season four before quitting again. Trying to get back into the show is hard. Especially being behind nearly fifty episodes, though I did watch episode 100 after it aired when I heard what it was about.

aish22

yes, friendship have great power. all should have it and enjoy it

Pharass

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 04, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
Season 3 was unquestionably the weakest season. Half the episodes are dull, the season finale is rushed, and the two-part premiere isn't as exciting as any of the others. Not to mention, it's the shortest season by far. Also, its highs aren't all that high.

Season 4 and 5 are closer to the style of 1 and 2, but, in my opinion, have tighter writing and manage to have some really good continuity. Also the premieres and finales are the best of the whole series. They tie in the themes of the series better than the lesson of the week style season 1, and much of 2, was so obvious about.

But I'm also of the opinion that the first two seasons get a lot of passes for things the latter two improve on and get no credit for, so I doubt my opinion is anywhere close to the majority.

I agree.

New season's been quite good so far, they brought back Trix...Sorry, The Great and Powerful Trixie, after three seasons, among other things.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

The latest episode was pretty good, it was basically the pony-version of A Christmas Carol with Starlight as the Ebeenezer Scrooge figure (though Snowfall, the character Starlight portrays in the story also had shades of the Grinch, since Scrooge never tried to steal the holiday. Though maybe he would have, had reality-altering magic been an option?). This was also a musical episode and as I've come to expect, the songs were all very good, especially Luna's.

I do have to wonder why they chose to air the Christmas episode in May though.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

With the show now apparently entering a mid-season hiatus, I thought I'd share some brief thoughts on the first half of season six.
So far, this has been a good season. Admittedly, the premiere was one of the weaker the show's had, but after that, it picked up with most episodes being good and, in some cases, improving on a second watch, with only one episode that I didn't care for at all.
I like how the show has handled Starlight. There's a part of me that preferred her as a villain, but nevertheless, she's a welcome addition to the cast.

Favorite episode (for now): Saddle-Row Review

This was just a great episode. I really liked the interview-format, each of the main six were well-used and it was genuinely funny. Bonus-points for the Jules Winnfield-Vincent Vega cameo at the diner where the interviews were held.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I agree, it was a pretty good half season so far. The premiere wasn't one of the best, but the rest of the episodes have been quite good. It's hard to choose a best episode so far because I've enjoyed them all.

Peanutbutter

I thought the premiere was good too. Lot better than how Season Three started.

Pharass

Quote from: Peanutbutter on June 13, 2016, 06:49:29 PM
I thought the premiere was good too. Lot better than how Season Three started.

Well, I can't argue with that last part. Funny coincidence how my least favorite premieres of the show both involve the Crystal Empire.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.