Sailor Moon

Started by LumRanmaYasha, May 16, 2014, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is her character arc sort of like Joe's, in the sense that she is kind of unlikable and incredibly selfish at first, but becomes a more well-rounded, yet still flawed, person over time?

Lord Dalek

The only reason its biweekly is Toei couldn't get a single tv station to air it in Japan, no doubt because of all the endless delays and cockups.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 02, 2014, 04:17:03 PM
Is her character arc sort of like Joe's, in the sense that she is kind of unlikable and incredibly selfish at first, but becomes a more well-rounded, yet still flawed, person over time?

Basically, yes. She matures into a capable, strong-willed hero by the end of the series. Though really, it's only in this first arc where she's really all that whiny and bratty, outside of her initial interactions with Chibiusa in the Black Moon arc, where she does still act a bit childish.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 02, 2014, 03:31:47 PMIn fact, it's been downright mediocre so far, and the CG is horrible. Of course, as a Toei series that isn't the least bit surprising.

From what I understand, some of the animation was outsourced, and boy, DOES IT SHOW.

It was done by a cheap studio in the Philippines, and this is their first solo project.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on August 02, 2014, 09:38:54 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 02, 2014, 03:31:47 PMIn fact, it's been downright mediocre so far, and the CG is horrible. Of course, as a Toei series that isn't the least bit surprising.

From what I understand, some of the animation was outsourced, and boy, DOES IT SHOW.

It was done by a cheap studio in the Philippines, and this is their first solo project.
Yeah, these guys are back in business.

Avaitor

I just watched the new episode, and it was okay. The animation comments are getting a little out of hand, though. True, the show doesn't look fantastic, but neither does the original. This isn't a big improvement, but it's not like Crystal is a big downgrade either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The comments have nothing to do with how the original looked. I'm just calling this out for the usual cheap Toei production that it is. Most companies would put at leas some more money and effort into one of their biggest money-making franchises. Instead Toei uses cheap animation and bad CG that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the art-style. Just because the original anime was nothing special doesn't mean that the remake should be exempt from any criticisms for poor animation.

Lord Dalek

But poor animation is so typical of Toei that complaining about it is literally beating a dead horse. Its just a fact of life.

gunswordfist

true but you'd assume an anime as big as sailor moon would get better treatment though. i expected this show to have amazing animation until i heard the complaints.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 04, 2014, 09:26:50 PM
true but you'd assume an anime as big as sailor moon would get better treatment though. i expected this show to have amazing animation until i heard the complaints.

This is from the company that celebrated DragonBall's legacy by reairing the show with really obvious additional and removed animation frames and no final arc until years later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on August 04, 2014, 11:31:02 PMThis is from the company that celebrated DragonBall's legacy by reairing the show with really obvious additional and removed animation frames and no final arc until years later.

Not to mention that they hired a composer who flat-out plagiarized the soundtrack for that show, forcing them to recycle Kikuchi's score for the Cell saga.

And speaking of that final arc, it's a complete joke. The original anime did a bad enough job of adapting the Buu arc, IMO, but Kai somehow just butchers it even further. The "re-mastered" animation is a hilariously cheap upgrade to wide-screen HD format, and the new soundtrack is pitiful.

Toei can go fuck themselves. What a terrible studio. I have no idea how they keep getting away with cutting so many corners in this day and age. In the 70's and 80's it may have been acceptable, but I have no idea how their shows still make so much money today. It really must just be the fact that they license the most popular shounen manga around (like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Toriko, etc.).

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 04, 2014, 11:38:03 PM
It really must just be the fact that they license the most popular shounen manga around (like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Toriko, etc.).

I feel bad for fans of World Trigger. Considering how bad Toei fucked up Toriko, I can't imagine how awful they could make that series, especially since they are guaranteed to adapt only one chapter an episode pretty shortly into it since the manga is only around 70 chapters long so far (then again, they could make it just a 2 cours series or something, but I can't remember the last time Toei's done that for a currently running WSJ series...).

I'm so glad they didn't get Seven Deadly Sins or Assassination Classroom.

Daxdiv

I am fearing the day I see Animal Land get greenlit for an anime adaptation and I see Toei as the animation company. Please be busy with other shit Toei.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I think the ship has sailed on an Animal Land anime, since the manga is already over and stuff and there's been no buzz about one. But, yeah, I really hope Toei doesn't adapt anything I like anytime in the near future.