Unpopular Opinions You Hold About TV Shows

Started by Kiddington, February 04, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

The Walking Dead makes Lost look like The Wire, bitch. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Lost makes everything look like garbage, so what's your point, moron?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I take it that you still haven't seen Breaking Bad yet?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 18, 2014, 09:37:31 PM
So, I take it that you still haven't seen Breaking Bad yet?

Not yet. Also, I wasn't serious about saying every show is bad compared to Lost. ;)

gunswordfist

Yeah, you better clarify your last statement, feeb.

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 18, 2014, 12:16:51 PMI like how it's essentially a drama with zombies in it, and not a mere zombie show, in that it creates an apocalypse and focuses on how the people deal with the situation. The zombies are really just a plot device for that.
I'm sorry but it's not like that's a big deal. I admit, it's been a winning formula and that makes it relevant but it's nowhere near revolutionary as a concept. People can slap any old thing they want to on television and call it drama. Look at the insane overload of cop-detective shows and most of what passes for drama on them. Drama is not highly valued by producers and writers. As a genre, in fact, even beyond television- I think drama has always been an insanely difficult thing for anyone to create. So, it winds up being a tone rather than a sense of striking depth or meaning in the actual written material. And I don't believe Walking Dead is the beaming beacon of hope that now finally shatters that theory / pattern. Even on television.

Furthermore, I have found everything I've come into contact with on that show to have been fairly cheap, routine, or something I would have expected if I'd written a list of what I might see before I sat down to watch it. Hence why I can say with all confidence I hate this show, even if it's easily one of the better programs. (Again, the cop-detective shows... yes, there are shows worth hating a lot more. This one bothers me more because they can't deliver horror beyond their synthetic concept of what that actually is.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

gunswordfist

Avaitor

There are plenty of good shows out there. Most of them are on cable or streaming elsewhere and some of those are imports, but even the networks have good shows. It saddens me that the two series people seem to enjoy the most is a boring, stupid show about zombies with poorly written characters and disappointing action, and a show starring an awful caricature of a 30-year-old man with aspergers man with jokes that Leno would groan at.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

What's "the other show"? I never keep up with modern shows because I feel like an idiot flocking to them and usually I'm right about how they aren't worth the time.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2014, 03:46:16 PM
What's "the other show"? I never keep up with modern shows because I feel like an idiot flocking to them and usually I'm right about how they aren't worth the time.
BAZINGA!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2014, 02:54:24 PMNP, even tried the comics?
You will never find anyone more ignorant than me when it comes to comic books. And newspaper strips.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

gunswordfist

:D You should give Volume 1 a try. I'm not the biggest comic book fan in the real but TWD is my favorite still running series. It's basically everything you wish the tv show did right, imo.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-I don't agree with the notion that Angel is a better show than Buffy.

-Speaking of Angel, I personally love the finale, which fit the show better than an abrupt happy ending would have.

-I don't personally get why people think of season 1 of Breaking Bad as a weak link. Personally, I was into it from the start, and the writing and acting still hold up just fine.

-Arrow, IMO, is the best comic book show currently airing. I don't much care for TWD,  personally, since I feel like it doesn't really capture what makes the comic book series so great.

-I don't agree with the people who say that HBO should put Game of Thrones on hiatus until Martin finishes the book series. For one thing, that'll probably take AT LEAST another decade. And on top of that, the show has already taken so many liberties from the books as it is, yet has still remained just as good, so I trust the writers to move the show in their own direction and come up with their own ending.

-Speaking of HBO, I was disappointed that nothing ever came of Guillermo Del Toro's pitch for Monster to them. A lot of fans seem to believe that it should only remain as a manga and anime, but it's a great story, first and foremost, and I personally love the idea of it being opened up for a wider audience to experience, much like what Edge of Tomorrow did for the novel All You Need Is Kill (though unfortunately it didn't perform well despite praise from critics). Personally, I still kind of hope that Del Toro continues to pursue this project in the future.

gunswordfist

things i've said before:

the walking dead is a terrible, terrible show unless it got super better after i gave up on it after less than 10 episodes into it.

monster could/would make a great live action series. the anime practically seems like one in animated form (if that makes any sense, which it shouldn't lol)

Avaitor

As I've been plowing through Monster again, I do think it could successfully work as a 3 season HBO endeavor, provided that it has the right staff involved, of course.

But I mean, it's Del Toro. About 3/4 of what he plans never makes it through development. Maybe someone else can take the property from him soon.

Speaking of retiring contracts, now that Universal (I think that's who had it?) lost their chance to make a Y: The Last Man movie, I think that it would make for a great TV series, either on HBO or Netflix. I hope Brian K. Vaughan agrees with me.

New blog!