The Greatest Anime Opening Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, May 01, 2014, 07:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not being spiteful, I'm just stating a fact. And that fact is that any opinion that disagrees with my own is wrong and should be condemned. What is so spiteful about that? :??:

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

AFTER THREE MONTHS, AND SIX ROUNDS, IT ALL ENDS NOW!
ARE YOU READY? THE FINAL RESULTS ARE:

Spoiler

3RD PLACE: "Guns and Roses" (Baccano!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZ1hsb8smQ
13 Points

[close]

Spoiler

2ND PLACE: "Bloody Stream" (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7gleFCWLAQ
17 Points
[close]

Spoiler

1ST PLACE: "Theme from Lupin III '79" (Lupin the Third Part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VibM9LRopnE
18 Points
[close]

And that's that, folks! Personally, I think the winner is well-deserved. But regardless of the outcome, I hope you all had fun with this tournament these last three months. I sure did. And if you didn't get the results you wanted this time, don't fret, because the Greatest Anime Ending Tournament is coming up soon enough to give ya a second chance.  ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm definitely down with Lupin being the winner. It's certainly one of the most iconic anime openings of all time, and among the few that I never skip when watching the show.

Spark Of Spirit

Go Lupin!

Well, that was a roller-coaster of a competition. Can't wait to see the next one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the obvious next one would be for ending themes, but I'd like to see someone do a competition for animated heroes or protagonists or anti-villains or whatever you want to call it. Obviously I'm not in a position to do anything as I've had to keep my own thread on hiatus for quite a while (I'm thinking of finding a way to give the reigns to someone else for that one, if possible, to be honest).

That said, there is just something appealing about giving recognition to great characters like Tenma, Joe, Hudson, etc. Another cool thread would be for greatest story arcs in comics, manga, animation, or live-action shows. Hopefully I can get my system back up and running and get to that, eventually.

::EDIT::

Best fights would be another good one.

LumRanmaYasha

Funny you should mention that. My plan was to do the Ending Theme tournament next, but I actually have been thinking about doing a Greatest Protagonist tournament recently. A greatest story arc or fights competition sounds cool to me too.

Actually, I'd like to consult you guys' opinion on this. Which do you want to do next: Anime Ending Tournament, Protagonist Tournament, Fights Tournament, or Story Arc Tournament?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's really tough, but I think I'd give story arc the slight edge, myself. I base this on the fact that we've had 2 music competitions already, and we have a character one going on as we speak. A story arc tournament would feel a bit different, but really the decision is up to you.

Spark Of Spirit

Inkwolf

I'd go more for endings tournament, since I'm not into long-drawn-out shonen or fighting anime, and therefore have no interest in the other options. You might say 'protagonist' is not as narrow, but I'm pretty sure the results are going to hinge strongly on "who's the most badass" out of characters whose shows I have never watched...

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You'd be wrong in assuming that the story arcs nominated would be the long, boring, drawn-out ones (at least not from me and CX, anyways). They also wouldn't be exclusively shounen. Perhaps it would encourage people to look into more series rather than just passing off that judgement. :humhumhum:

Anyways, and ending theme tournament would be fine as well, if a bit less interesting (from my perspective), of course, because of this tournament and the other currently ongoing music-related tournament, which have burned me out on the concept a bit, but it's true that it would likely get the most participation.

As for the character one, I don't think it would be about who's the most "bad-ass," as most of us don't really think highly of characters for such shallow reasons. Just like the villain tournament going on now, it'd be about which characters are the best written and most endearing characters.

Now, the fighting one I still think would be cool, but I have to admit that only about 3 of us on this board would ever show any interest in that. So, sadly, that one will never really be worth the time and effort for someone to run (at least not on this board). The story arc one, while being my most preferred, probably wouldn't fair too much better unless you specifically nominated only the most popular series that most people on this board have seen (TSSM, Gargoyles, YYH, etc.). So, I think that just leaves characters and ending themes. I'm 95% sure that we'll be getting ending themes next, but perhaps the protagonist one is a nice idea for the future.

Inkwolf

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 26, 2014, 08:58:14 AM
You'd be wrong in assuming that the story arcs nominated would be the long, boring, drawn-out ones

I didn't mean that the best arcs would be long and dull, just that we'd get the most nominations from long series. I mean, not to offend anyone here, but the OP contest seemed to contain way too many One Piece and FMA and Conan and Pokemon OPs. With a story arc competition, I imagine we'd get arcs from similar series...not just because the series are LOOOONG and contain many seasons and many story arcs, but because those seem to be the popular ones. 

And, frankly, I don't think I can find the time to watch all the extra shows it would take to vote fairly. If the Week 1 vote means I have to watch 6 episodes of Fairy Tail, 12 episodes of FMA, 13 episodes of HunterXHunter and 5 episodes of Bleach (and even if I've seen them, I'd feel I needed to rewatch to judge fairly) then it just isn't going to happen.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Inkwolf on July 26, 2014, 01:04:54 PMI didn't mean that the best arcs would be long and dull, just that we'd get the most nominations from long series. I mean, not to offend anyone here, but the OP contest seemed to contain way too many One Piece and FMA and Conan and Pokemon OPs. With a story arc competition, I imagine we'd get arcs from similar series...not just because the series are LOOOONG and contain many seasons and many story arcs, but because those seem to be the popular ones.

Blame CX for all of those, that's his fault. :P

I only nominated like, a single One Piece theme from the shows that you mentioned. And as a matter of fact, I actually prefer less nominations, myself. I only nominate stuff that I think are arguably the best in whatever category the tournament is for. I don't nominate just anything that's remotely good.

QuoteMost of the shows I like best are one or two seasons, and often contain only one story arc, or are all stand-alone. I am quite sure none of them I nominated would stand up to favorite arcs from popular shonen shows.

You might be surprised. Most of my favorite shows that contain long arcs are usually no more than 2 seasons, and some of the ones that are tend to be episodic shows (like BTAS, Futurama, South Park, etc.). I think Yu Yu Hakusho is literally the only show among my top 10 with a continuous story-line that's over 100 episodes long.

QuoteAnd, frankly, I don't think I can find the time to watch all the extra shows it would take to vote fairly. If the Week 1 vote means I have to watch 6 episodes of Fairy Tail, 12 episodes of FMA, 13 episodes of HunterXHunter and 5 episodes of Bleach (and even if I've seen them, I'd feel I needed to rewatch to judge fairly) then it just isn't going to happen.

Hence why I said that (sadly), this type competition probably wouldn't work on this board. I know that Foggle is pretty much the same as you in that regard, and there are still a lot of shows that Shadow and GSF haven't seen that I would nominate.

gunswordfist

ah sweet, i knew lupin would win but didnt think it would be that close.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody