What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I love Network, even if, yeah, it isn't a typically entertaining film.

Oh, so TCM has special guest programmers every month, to pick a few movies to air and talk about them with Robert Osborne. Usually they're celebrities or people in the industry, and some of the guests they've had range from Danny Devito to Anthony Bourdain to James L. Brooks. This month, they picked a couple of people from the channel's Movie Morlocks blog, which you can access on their site and app.

In typical blogger fashion, they each picked non-conventional choices for movies, but I only ended up seeing one of their choices- Dracula's Daughter. It's a non-conventional sequel to Universal's take on the count, based off of a post-humous story by Stoker and written by the playwright responsible for the stage version, which the movie was based off of. And even though Lugosi made more in publicity photos with the titular daughter than he did working for the first movie, he didn't reprise his role. It doe has similar atmosphere and pacing to the first movie, though, which is a good thing. Gloria Holden also does a good job as the daughter, alternating between camp macabre and serious. The rest of the cast does leave a little to be desired though, as does the set design. But it turned out to be better than I was expecting.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 25, 2012, 08:13:22 PM
I watched the first fifteen minutes of Burton's Alice and it was utterly awful. I hope no one is going to chime in and tell me it gets better because the beginning was too awful for me to consider watching it over again.
Well now it looks like you have an excuse to try it again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

AFI's top 10 films of the year:

Argo
Beast of the Southern Wild
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

I'll never get the appeal of Les Mis. And what's TDKR doing on here?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on December 10, 2012, 07:42:32 PM
AFI's top 10 films of the year:

Argo
Beast of the Southern Wild
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

I'll never get the appeal of Les Mis. And what's TDKR doing on here?
Bitch, you best be playin'.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on December 10, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
I mean, was it really that good?
Better than the Avengers. :sly:

And why the hell aren't Looper and The Master on here?

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't find a whole lot of interesting films this year. But who knows, maybe I'll discover something on Netflix later or something.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 10, 2012, 07:48:01 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on December 10, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
I mean, was it really that good?
Better than the Avengers. :sly:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to call bs on that until I actually get to see it.

But I still haven't, so who knows.

New blog!

Foggle

TDKR is second only to TDK as the best live action superhero film I've ever seen (unless you count Kick-Ass, then it's third). It absolutely deserves its placement on that list. Granted, I haven't seen The Avengers yet.

Seven Psychopaths and Killer Joe should also be on that list.

Avaitor

It's crazy how I haven't seen any of these yet, and since TDKR doesn't available to rent on Netflix until Christmas Eve, I won't be able to watch it for a bit.

Besides TDKR and obviously Django, the ones that interest me the most from here are Moonrise Kingdom and SLP.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Les Mis is one of the greatest musicals of all time, if not the best. I haven't seen the movie yet, but if there's any musical that'll ever get a good film adaptation yet (at least these days), hopefully it's that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm going to see the midnight showing of The Hobbit with a couple of my friends from college now that finals are done. I'll let you guys know what I think of it tomorrow morning.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just came back from the midnight showing. I'm not gonna go into detail about it now, I will say this much: fuck the critics, I enjoyed this movie. It is a bit slow-paced and long-winded in parts much like Fellowship of the Ring was, but being that I love the book I admire how much detail was put into this movie and how accurate it was to the story. My only gripe is that, as you would expect, it feels like just a piece of the story rather than something that works as a stand-alone film. It does leave me anticipating the next film eagerly, but the story lacks any sense of a clear ending from this film alone since its simply just adapting the first third or so of the story.

At any rate, I'll write a bit more detail about my thoughts on it later.

Avaitor

I'm gonna try to go this week.

I'm the only person on earth who decided to not see the LOTR movies until the Hobbit came out, aren't I?

New blog!