What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Just watched Silver Linings Playbook with my mom.

It's a fine movie, very funny in some points, but I'm not so sure if Jennifer Lawrence's performance was award worthy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Blues Brothers.  What a classic.

Deployment blows though.  It's so hard to surf the internet and see talk of much-anticipated movies(at least for me) like Iron Man 3 and Fast and Furious 6 and know I won't be able to see them for months.  Blah.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

Neil Gaiman showed me a movie called Drowning by Numbers. It involves drowning fat people and young boys circumcising themselves.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on May 12, 2013, 09:38:06 PM
Just watched Silver Linings Playbook with my mom.

It's a fine movie, very funny in some points, but I'm not so sure if Jennifer Lawrence's performance was award worthy.
They gave her the Oscar for Katniss Everdeen more or less.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Comeau on May 13, 2013, 08:53:24 PM
Blues Brothers.  What a classic.

Deployment blows though.  It's so hard to surf the internet and see talk of much-anticipated movies(at least for me) like Iron Man 3 and Fast and Furious 6 and know I won't be able to see them for months.  Blah.
I need to catch up on the post-Fast/Furious 3 movies. (Hell, I've barely seen 3...but that might not be a bad thing) I thought I was the only one here who liked those movies at all
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

The more I see of Lars von Trier, the less I want to get inside his head.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Okay, so I'm going to see Hangover 3 tonight. I still love the first one, but after 2, I'm not exactly pumped. Still, it'll give me something to do besides staying at home on another Thursday night.

Edit: didn't happen, due to rain, so I had other plans instead. It doesn't seem like I missed much though.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Here's a continuity error that I always felt the Evil Dead franchise had. But tell me if I'm wrong. SPOILER WARNING.

All three films are about the book... But wasn't the book destroyed at the end of the first movie, despite appearing in later ones?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Evil Dead 2 starts the story off from scratch, so the events of the 1st movie are retold rather than the 2nd movie just continuing on from where it left off, hence why the book exists in that movie. I still haven't seen Army of Darkness, but it involves Ash being sent back in time, so I always just assumed that they used the Book of the Dead from that timeline, being that it would have existed back then and wouldn't have been destroyed yet.

Spark Of Spirit

Evil Dead 2 is part reboot. It retcons a lot of the stuff from the original.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

But the thing is, I vaguely remember the creators stating that it's all just meant to totally be a 3-part story, specifically saying that you could watch the movies all together back-to-back for a consistent story... But you'd have a plothole in the process. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You should know better, though. Whoever said that was wrong, either because they hadn't seen the movie they created in a long-ass time, or they were just blowing smoke out their ass for the hell of it. No matter what anyone else says, the book existing in all 3 movies is not a plot-hole. The first movie is a stand-alone film. The 2nd movie starts the story off from scratch and changes many key elements of the first film, so no matter what anyone else says, they just factually cannot exist in the same canon. The 3rd movie involves Ash going back in time and picking up an earlier version of the book, hundreds of years before he would have burned it in the present. It all makes sense to me, so I don't see how that's a plot-hole.

gunswordfist

Funny enough, the beginning of Army Of Darkness retcons the end of Evil Dead 2.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 30, 2013, 10:22:31 PM
Funny enough, the beginning of Army Of Darkness retcons the end of Evil Dead 2.
I believe the retcons were all because Raimi was unable to secure footage from the previous movie each time to insert into the newer film.

Though I could be wrong, I don't really remember.

I still think Army Of Darkness is by far the best one, anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I thought he was just being creative or something. I'll have to look up the real reason.