What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know that much about the genre outside of obvious stuff like King Kong. However, The Host was a really entertaining (and also somewhat humorous) Korean monster movie that's worth checking out.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 11, 2014, 09:46:10 PM
Besides Godzilla movies, what are the best monster movies?

What's your definition of monster movie?

For example, I'd put King Kong above Godzilla.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, I forgot that Super 8 was even (technically) a Monster movie. It doesn't actually show you the monster in question until the very end, but it's a movie that's entertaining to watch for the characters rather than the monster itself.

gunswordfist

I saw The Host like 10 years ago. :D Decent movie. And I've been meaning to watch Super 8. talon, you're referring to the original King Kong, right? I've never seen any version of the film.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 11, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
talon, you're referring to the original King Kong, right? I've never seen any version of the film.

Of course.

No-Personality

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 11, 2014, 09:49:26 PMThe Host, because Koreans.
I despised that film. The CGI was a pretty big reason. The wanton mass death not treated seriously or milked for any potential dark humor is also a bad idea, post 9/11. (They tried to play it as horrifying... then forgot what CGI looks like: fake.)

I'd say it was an utter fail of tone, which makes me not care about the story or the characters. Literally: watching the mourners flail around on the ground like fish like being hounded by the media killed the film, then and there. The ending also fucks up on much the same level with the gas bombing of the crowds of citizens. Too stupid to make a point. The movie continually refused to give the characters any dignity. Or those preying on them any intelligent menace.

Oh, and: closeup on a guy picking his nose. Vital to the text. Oh, wait, it's just stupid.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's obviously not going to have the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster, so I kind of expected the CGI to be bad, but I've seen worse with the Godzilla films, so it didn't bother me that much.

Oddly enough I thought the tone was that of dark humor (or at least that's how it came off to me). The movie wasn't taking itself that seriously, yet still had some dark subject material. I know that it was controversial, and people hated how it took a stab at the U.S. for that real-life Eco-incident that the film was clearly a partial metaphor of, but while I can understand that, I'm not really that easy to offend, myself, so on a base level I still enjoyed the film itself.

But, while we're on the subject of monster movies that we despise, does anyone else think that Cloverfield is a POS? I know a lot of people liked that movie, buti could never stand any of the characters, the dramatic moments felt forced, and the movie hardly used the "found-footage shtick" to any real advantage. And it all just built up to a completely disappointing climax that made me realize that, at the end of the day, it really want worth it to stick around and see the monster....which I really have a hard time believing could have been THAT much of a threat.

Spark Of Spirit

Super 8 was basically everything I wanted Cloverfield to be. Cloverfield was just not very good and relied more on gimmicks than any actual plot.

A lot like Blair Witch, actually.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually liked Blair Witch, though. It set up an atmosphere. Cloverfield couldn't even do that much.

gunswordfist

Fuck you, EK. Cloverfield was good. (I promised that I would be nice to Spark. :bleh:)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Blair Witch as in Blair Witch Project? That was a very good horror film. Watcha talkin bout, Sparky?

Also, I hear the new Captain America is out in theaters. Or, at least it will be tomorrow.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 09:30:25 PM
Also, I hear the new Captain America is out in theaters. Or, at least it will be tomorrow.
Uh, no.

It had its premiere at the El Capitan tonight, but we still have a few weeks before the movie comes out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I wish it was out tomorrow. I've been waiting to see an action film in theater again.