Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 07, 2013, 07:55:07 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2013, 11:31:54 PM
I'm watching it now. How much did Doug watch of this? He doesn't get the point of Sailor V at all.

That's because he only reviewed the dub. The dub never explained the deal with Sailor Venus being Sailor V. The only time it was referenced was when they did a clip show, which I am more than postive was only done by DiC.
You sure? I swear I remember that after a little while, they did reveal that Sailor Venus was V.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

It was an alright review, better than I thought it would be. I never could get into the show because of the overt formulaic elements, and Doug did a good job highlighting them and justifying why it became popular. I was annoyed by his generalization of anime and the obvious fact that he didn't watch even all of the first season of the show, since Serena finds out Darien is Tuxedo Mask towards the end of the first arc, and of course the fact Sailor V is revealed to be Sailor Venus by the middle of the first arc, and the fact that Sailor Moon and company develop as characters as the series went on. Of course, I'm speaking from the experience of reading the manga and having only watched a couple of the anime's episodes here and there, whereas Doug probably didn't even get half-way into the first season of the series, so that's where the difference in perspective lies.

Daxdiv

I found the review funny.

Though I loved the bit where he talked more about how and why Sailor Moon ended up on his hottest women list and him explaining the age of consent laws in Japan, with the clips of Homer in them. That and obviously the talking penis.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on August 07, 2013, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 07, 2013, 07:55:07 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2013, 11:31:54 PM
I'm watching it now. How much did Doug watch of this? He doesn't get the point of Sailor V at all.

That's because he only reviewed the dub. The dub never explained the deal with Sailor Venus being Sailor V. The only time it was referenced was when they did a clip show, which I am more than postive was only done by DiC.
You sure? I swear I remember that after a little while, they did reveal that Sailor Venus was V.

Maybe in the later Toonami-exclusive seasons, but not in the DiC dub.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rynnec

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree with him, for the most part. I'm also sick of this whole sexism issue in video games, ESPECIALLY when people making these arguments bash a lot of the old-school classics. Look, I get that those games weren't the most inspiring things for females, but trying to label those games as misogynistic is both taking them WAY too seriously and looking way more into them than anything that the developers intended. The whole "hero saves a princess" story was one of the most basic stories that any of us knew of as kids. Naturally, at a time when games were more about gameplay than story, most of these older games just had that basic plot because they knew that their main demographic was young boys who just wanted to have some fun. Looking at it as a message that women are weak or whatnot is really pulling at straws, IMO (and as far as Peach from the Mario games goes, don't forget that she was even a playable character in Super Mario Bros. 2). At any rate, I can get bashing games like Metroid: Other M, and certain other story-heavy games as being sexist towards women. What I don't like is when these people start attacking games that clearly had no intentions of telling an insightful story or message, and instead were just geared towards being simple fun.

talonmalon333

That said, I was ready to shoot Princess Peach until she was confirmed playable in the upcoming game.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 12, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
I agree with him, for the most part. I'm also sick of this whole sexism issue in video games, ESPECIALLY when people making these arguments bash a lot of the old-school classics. Look, I get that those games weren't the most inspiring things for females, but trying to label those games as misogynistic is both taking them WAY too seriously and looking way more into them than anything that the developers intended. The whole "hero saves a princess" story was one of the most basic stories that any of us knew of as kids. Naturally, at a time when games were more about gameplay than story, most of these older games just had that basic plot because they knew that their main demographic was young boys who just wanted to have some fun. Looking at it as a message that women are weak or whatnot is really pulling at straws, IMO (and as far as Peach from the Mario games goes, don't forget that she was even a playable character in Super Mario Bros. 2). At any rate, I can get bashing games like Metroid: Other M, and certain other story-heavy games as being sexist towards women. What I don't like is when these people start attacking games that clearly had no intentions of telling an insightful story or message, and instead were just geared towards being simple fun.

What's worse is that these people will try to come up with asinine reasons to justify why they take these games as seriously as they do, and it just makes them come off as pathetic and unpleasable. Now, I wouldn't mind if more games with these damsel stories had female protagonists, but like you said, these people take the issue way too seriously.

talonmalon333

So I've happily noticed that, in his recent episodes, the Nostalgia Critic hasn't used as many of his old running jokes much. I mean, a few might be funny. But seriously, some of those were just so dead, so overused, that it was painful listening to them. I mean, before he dropped it, Doug had to have been the only person left on this planet that still makes Chuck Norris jokes. Not kidding, that joke seriously seems like it has been around for ten years (at the very least, I can vividly recall moments 7-8 years ago hearing friends make those jokes), and really, I never even thought it was ever that funny. Glad to see he (hopefully) dropped it like everyone else did.

Avaitor

As long as he never does his awful little kid voice again, it's all good.

Anyway, new editorial.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Best editorial yet! Doug nailed exactly what makes Tom and Jerry so great and timeless, the best explanation I've seen anyone give, in fact.   :)

Peanutbutter

I'm so glad his editorials are popular enough that he's kept them going. I really wish Doug could have made the Critic's reviews bi-weekly last year, so we could have already had even more of these. I almost got into it with someone on another board I go to. There are a couple people there who just bash his editorials every time, one of them made a remark about he was over-analyzing. Are you kidding me? It's an editorial, that the whole point of it!

Not everyone has to like them, but calling an editorial over-analyzing is nonsense no matter how you slice it.

Mr. Big

The Tom and Jerry editorial was good. For the most part, he's spot on.

I wish he briefly covered the Gene Deitch shorts, though. He gave a brief comment on the Chuck Jones version.

No-Personality

Quote from: Foggle on August 06, 2013, 11:37:28 PMThis is the first NC episode I've found funny in a long ass time.
2 words:

Jurassic Park.

;D

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 06, 2013, 08:03:46 PMI can't really say anything about the Japanese version of the show as I never watched more than a few episodes of it, so I can't really judge it.
I've seen about 15 of the Japanese versions, and not just of the episodes that never aired in the U.S. (One was cut because Melvin pushed up Miss Haruna's skirt - their homeroom teacher - and... her reaction was sadder than watching him do it.) It's remarkable what little difference there is between the translations. The biggest difference I noted was a lot of "How annoying!", 2-word sentences, in the Japanese version and, the U.S. version made everything Ami and Mina talked about casually involving Serena off doing something else. Unless you saw a one-off character in a scene with them, they were talking about Serena whenever they were onscreen and she wasn't.

I mean, I could say Doug failed to note Zoecite was a male and had a lover-relationship with Malachite but the scenes with them onscreen were never very meaty to begin with.

Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2013, 11:31:54 PMI'm watching it now. How much did Doug watch of this? He doesn't get the point of Sailor V at all.
He seems to have stopped somewhere around episode 9, of the U.S. version (which is something like episode 12 of the Japanese). So, he only noticed Ami and Raye join the Scouts'.

Except that someone clearly told him about the lesbian characters in the later seasons, so...
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...