Kill la Kill

Started by Foggle, October 03, 2013, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

First episode is out. Now that's an anime!

https://www.daisuki.net/movies/watch/UFc/JGc

I love the animation and character designs in this show. They're so fun and energetic.

Lord Il

It's a wild ride. Made me instantly nostalgic of Dead Leaves and Gurren Lagann - This is a good thing!
I like these creations which veer off the beaten path.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on October 03, 2013, 06:07:25 PM
It's a wild ride. Made me instantly nostalgic of Dead Leaves and Gurren Lagann - This is a good thing!
I like these creations which veer off the beaten path.

Me too! It's a feast for the eyes. I just love love love how smooth and crazy the animation is. Makes me wish the Little Witch Academia blu-ray wasn't $60 + shipping. :whuh: Hopefully someone will license it for the UK and release it at an actually acceptable price.

RacattackForce

Continuing to see Hiroyuki Imaishi's work on television continues to give me hope that maybe the Japanese TV animation industry still has some decent life left in it. Like all his stuff, Kill la Kill has a delightfully insane plot backed up by amazingly kinetic and loose animation. It would be impossible for me not to love something this fantastic. This show overloads my senses in a good way (as opposed to Monogatari, which we all know is pretentious, artsy crap).

TheEclecticDude

Glad to see Trigger coming into its own, especially considering the only work they did was LWA. The one thing I noticed is that while Imaishi is bit weak on story/characters, is made up in just sheer visual spectacle. Judging from Episode 1 alone, that is in full force.

But more then, its just fun. Which, for anime, should be (and is for me) a basic expectation.

Foggle

Story and characters in Imaishi works aren't deep, but they're fun and likable. That's all I need from something like this.

Trigger is basically old Gainax at this point (like how Platinum/Clover is basically old Capcom), so I never doubted they could pull this off. ;)

Rynnec

If Platinum were to make an anime, it would look a lot like Kill La Kill.

It's very rare that an anime hooks me with its first episode, but KLK did just that, right from its prologue.

Lord Il

The Shadow Gentleman

I recently started watching Gurren Lagann, so watching I'll try to catch some of this as well.

LumRanmaYasha

I just finished the first episode...  :swoon: Those character designs, the animation, the directing, the color work....it's all just so magnificent, I feel I could cry. Kill la Kill reminds me of everything I love about animation, and the kind of work I aspire to create in the future. Without a doubt this is the best new animated show I've seen in a long, long time, and I loved every minute of it. I can't wait to see more, and hopefully it'll continue to be this energetic, fun, and excellent for the entirety of it's run.

Foggle

Couldn't have said it better myself! :el_hail:

Daxdiv

Well, I think I found the anime I'll be watching this season. :blush:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found the premiere to be entertaining for certain, but much like TTGL, the over the top, hyperactive nature of the show is laid on a bit too thick for me. I love the bizarre and energetic animation, but the series's sense of humor is pretty hit or miss so far, and the animation style used in this premiere is fun, but I can see it getting tiring if used throughout a full series of 12+ episodes. Still, as far as season premieres go, this is one of the better ones that I've seen in a long while.

Mr. Big

I watched it and WOW. Very crazy.

I'll be paying attention to it.

Foggle

Posting this here as well. My thoughts on the controversial elements of episode 1: http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=1788