Ed, Edd, n' Eddy

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

You know what would be nice? To get the other 3 seasons on DVD!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

CN is REALLY bad about completing series on DVD. I mean JB is still stuck at season 1, isn't it?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Getting season 2 of Courage now was so random. Like, I don't get that; literally 4 years later, and there it is. And yet no other sets announced around it; EEnE, Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Foster's, Billy and Mandy..........nothing. Just Courage. No consistency with these guys at all.

..........but yeah, if there is ANY show that I'd drop everything to buy a complete series of, this is it. Seasons 3-4 are just sooooo good. This show deserves better.

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on July 08, 2011, 05:27:47 PM
Time for my top 10 of this show.

10- "The Good Ole Ed"/"Every Which Way But Ed"

These are from separate episodes, but I couldn't leave them apart, since they're similar in theme; they both involve past escapades featuring the Eds. But they're a tad different in execution. The former features anecdotes that may not have actually happened, while the latter contains a bunch of random memories that pile up until the ending, where we see how the Eds meet each other. And they're both hilarious on their own. I had to leave them together.

9- "Out With the Old, In With the Ed"

A cap-off to the summer part of the series, and an introduction to the fall part. Both sides of the episode are great and begin the next part of the show's run

8- "An Ed Is Born"

Eddy attempts to prove to his older brother that he has aged quite well since the last time he was at the house by making a videotape showing himself as the king of the Cul-De-Sac. Things don't really work out as planned, which is bad for him, but great for us.

7- "One Plus One Equals Ed"

Everyone's favorite episode, I think this is the moment that the show really proved itself to be unlike anything else before or since. The childlike expressions of our every emotions was present throughout, while the alternate universe the Eds enter into is something truly out of the golden age. It's a trip all in all, and usually makes it near the top of everyone's favorites list due to how insane it is.

6- "Little Ed Blue"

BIG TROUBLE!!!!!!!!

Ed finally snaps, and the end result is brilliant. Even if the ending is a cop-out of sorts.

5- "A Fistful of Ed"

While the movie did an even better job of it and the "lost" episode was great, this would have been a fitting finale for the show if it stayed that way. After a few freak accidents, Double D becomes the new school bully, and Eddy exploits this to his advantage. Besides some great lines, the emotional aspect of the episode makes it so great. Double D and Ed have a couple of really sweet scenes, while Eddy finally saves the day in the end, and everyone gets a hot dog. You couldn't ask for any more.

4- "The Day the Ed Stood Still"

Ed as a monster. All hell breaks lose.

This episode has the creativity that I truly love about the show rolled up into one intense sci-fi esq plot, on top of a perfect ending. Incredible stuff.

3- "Mirror Mirror on the Ed"

I wrote about this one in excruciating detail back on the old board. Remember that? If so, I hopefully don't have to explain why it's up here. If not, put a sock in it, sock in it!

2- "Mission Ed-Possible"

Want proof that the last season was great? Check this puppy out, where Double D attempts to hand Ed and Eddy's report cards to their parents. A laugh riot from start to finish, there's plenty of great gags and lines, while it also helps to define the kid's statuses in school as opposed to out in the Cul-De-Sac.

1- "Once Upon an Ed"

I wrote about this ep earlier on here, but I think it's the whole package in one sitting. Great for everyone.
Hey, I made this list years ago, but I still stand by it!

Do you guys have your own list or just some personal favorites to share?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

i have not watched the show in years.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Seasons 3 and 4 are on Netflix. Which makes me wonder if Warner is still going to keep up their give and take method come this spring and replace them with the fifth.

New blog!

Kiddington

Man just finish the DVDs already.

The show turned 15 this year, what better time than now for a complete set.

Avaitor

But for some reason, CN decided to acknowledge Powerpuff's anniversary 2 months late instead, just when EEnE's anniversary hit.

New blog!

Avaitor

Scott Diggs posted this concept art of what became the season 2 cover on his tumblr. Man, I love the artwork for the show.

And this reminds me, if I can save enough money, I might order another copy of season 2 for my blog's future giveaway. Possibly the first as well, since it never hurts to ensure that more copies are sold!

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm gonna try a top episode choice per character. I've done something similar for Simpsons and KOTH, so why not try it here?

Ed- "It Came From Outer Ed"

If I ever go back to my reviews for the show (I'm thinking of either starting them from scratch, or just keeping Eds and Powerpuff, since I mainly struggled with Dexter and Johnny), one point I wanted to get across was how I feel that Ed wasn't actually stupid, but instead is stuck in his own world. Here, this comes into play as Ed's attempt to create a big scam on the level of Eddy's doesn't go the way Eddy or Double D expect or hope it goes. This further's Ed's affection for science fiction, and how he's able to use it to his advantage when he get the chance to. Plus, you get to see Rolf hide the rest of the kids in a giant clam and run away with it. What an image.

Edd- "A Fistful of Ed"

I nearly went with "Mission Ed-Possible", which is a great chase story that shows the lengths Double D will go to in his quest to preserve the truth. But I think this one, which almost became the series finale, is probably a better episode for him. The basic idea of the episode (Double D consistently ends up hurting the kids by one fluke incident after another and makes them fear him as a result) isn't exactly realistic, but the effect it has on Double D is reflective of his general personality. While he finds enough charm (mostly out of loneliness) in Eddy to help him come up with scams, Double D just wants to make everyone happy, which makes his predicament almost heartbreaking. Not enough to stop being funny, though. And before I go to Eddy, I'll add that the ending is indicative of just how much the other Eds mean to him.

Eddy- "An Ed is Born"

Eddy's brother was such a great concept that I almost feel that his reveal in the movie is disappointing (almost- it really was necessary if Antonucci wanted to give the show the ending he went with). Seeing the effect his legacy left on Eddy made for one of the show's most fascinating dynamics, as it becomes increasingly obvious that the guy was a jerk, whether Eddy was read to admit it or not. He pretty much did when his brother's package came, though, and it led to a great episode where Eddy does his best to prove that he isn't still the baby of the bunch. The result is a bunch of video footage gone horribly wrong, much to Eddy's dismay but good laughs.

Sarah- "Ed... Pass It On..."

This one isn't about Sarah for most of the episode, but rather continues the myth of Eddy's brother. While it's fascinating to see everyone's reaction to him, Sarah, who was probably too young to have met or known him, is unimpressed since "brothers are stupid". And she ends the episode with a great way to mess with Eddy after she catches onto his game. What I've always admired about Sarah is how smart she is. She's the ultimate annoying younger sibling, and rolls with it to mess with Ed or the others in varied ways throughout the show. She isn't the most likable character, but it's often fun to see what she comes up with.

Jimmy- "Look Before You Ed"

I wasn't sure which side of Jimmy to highlight, his jovial self or the sadistic side he occasionally shows when provoked. Then I remembered this, the last regular episode of the show, which contains both elements. It's a cute bonding session between Double D and Jimmy, in which he does indeed get provoked and finds a way to get revenge that impresses Sarah in the end. The "sixth season" was a nice little appetizer for the movie, and this became a welcome final taste of the show before that big finish.

Rolf- "Wish You Were Ed"

Did you expect me to pick something besides THAT'S MY HORSE? It's the full package for Rolf. His foreign complexities are front and center, in both a surprisingly heartfelt yet always hilarious story that contains some of Eddy's best scheming before a hell of a finish.

Kevin- "From Here to Ed"

Sometimes, Kevin really is Eddy's biggest rival. Other times, he doesn't care that much. In this one, Eddy thinks that Kevin was responsible for his scam tanking, and goes to extreme cartoon lengths to get his revenge. This is pretty much the show's attempt at a Road Runner cartoon, and it exceeds gloriously.

Nazz- "Boys Will Be Eds"

Nazz is the tough one to choose for, since she doesn't have that many stories about her, but she's not a bad character at all. I've always found her to be uniquely ditsy, actually. I wouldn't say that she's stupid, but she doesn't always seem to realize what's going on, or so it seems. Like here, when all of the guys but Jimmy (which brings up many different possibilities about the character). One thing I notice about this is how the episode goes from the boys' point of view and almost to hers near the end as she starts to crack. Nazz is clearly a chick, but she just wants to be a dude with the other dudes, y'no?

Johnny- "'Tween a Rock and an Ed Place"

Johnny is the biggest outsider of the cast besides the Eds and Kankers, a kid who's pretty weird but isn't despicable about it. In this one, he throws an Arbor Day party that is almost completely abandoned, aside from the Eds. It allows for some funny moments throughout, as well as a bit of welcome bonding between the characters, who kind of deserve it.

The Kankers- "A Twist of Ed"

Okay, this is probably more about the Eds, as they reject the Kankers' advances with good ol' reverse psychology, but their usual contributions to the show are still present throughout. And I have to remind you of this great bit-
"They've become amorous!"
"What's that?"
*whispers*
"OUT OF THE WAY!!!'

The Eds- "Once Upon an Ed"

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Yap yap blah blah dribble dribble dribble. All I need to say.

Also consider "Mirror, Mirror on the Ed". I wish I could find that massive post I wrote about the perks of this episode on the old board, but it is a best of everything scenario for the guys.

The Cul-De-Sac- "Every Which Way But Ed"

This flashback episode is set up quite well, as one backstory falls into another and allows for almost everyone to get a little anecdote as the episode goes along, complete with an important ending. Along with "Mission Ed-Possible", it's a great start to the last full season.

Aside from an honorable season 2 mention, all of these come from the last 3 (or I guess 4) seasons. The show really started to hit its stride there, and never let go. What a great run.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Good choices! I agree with all of them, though I really do need to give the series a proper rewatch sometime since it's been a while since I've done that. But yeah, the series really hit it's stride in the third season and just didn't stop. It's one of the few cartoon cartoons that really was solid all the way through to the end.

Avaitor

Ed, why did you glue a wooden block to Johnny's foot?

Why this suit?

Why Johnny?

New blog!

gunswordfist

That made me spit laugh.

Commode

https://youtu.be/Z6SoAhl55D0?t=50s
Heard this on the radio, he name drops the show.  It actually made me do a double take, "did he really just say Ed Edd n Eddy?"
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist