Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

But seriously, how about Barefoot Gen?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2012, 09:27:35 PM
But seriously, how about Barefoot Gen?
Oh God, I remember watching what happened to the people hit by the atom bomb in that movie. In my fucking nightmares.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Lord Dalek

gunswordfist

Nel_Annette

As I mentioned on TZ, is Fairy Tail any good? I've been looking for series where I haven't been spoiled bout the future, and so I'm just kind of looking for a new long series to replace (ugh) Bleach.

Also probably going to try to get back into One Piece. While I own the first two seasons of One Piece, I'd like to upgrade to the collections, as they're cheaper and have more episodes per set. I marathoned the thing a few years back, and wasn't really interested in the rest, but I think it's finally time to watch Skypeia and beyond. I liked it enough, I enjoyed the characters and the acting and the humor, but after I finished Alabasta, I just felt like I was done. I don't know. There wasn't really any cliffhanger or anything that made me want more. But I do like not knowing what happens next, and One Piece is one of the few series I have left where I haven't been spoiled.

So should I upgrade to the collections? They'll overtake the episodes the Season 4 sets are covering eventually, right?

Rynnec

I've only seen the first few episodes of Fairy Tail. While it's rather generic as far as shounen goes, and doesn't really have anything special, what I've seen is rather enjoyable despite that.

Nel_Annette

Maybe I'll, uh, "sample" a few episodes myself.  :sly: I liked the character designs and saw that it was getting a bit of discussion on TZ, so I was curious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Have you ever tried Hunter X Hunter? There's a 1999 anime which is available on DVD, but it has some filler and stops in the middle of the story.

There's a currently running reboot which is actually really good, and you could watch that legally for free on Crunchyroll (though you'll just be forced to be a week behind the current releases). Its also currently on the best arc of the series (IMO), so I think its worth checking out.

As for One Piece, I didn't much care for Skypiea. I thought it was kind of a boring arc compared to Alabasta. I do think that the series peaks in quality after that, though, with the Water Seven and Enies Lobby arcs, but those haven't been released yet by FUNimation (they are in the process of dubbing those episodes the last time I checked, though).

I've tried watching Fairy Tail. Its not bad, but its pretty standard stuff, so I lost interest pretty quickly. I also gave Toriko a try, but once again it just didn't hold my interest for very long.