Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Fairy Tail's decent; it's my current go to title for long-running manga when I can't get around to catching up on One Piece. That's funny, I stopped at the end of Alabasta arc too! Need to resume that sometime.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

What's Fairy Tail.

I need to start watching One Piece, Fullmetal Panic, Kenichi (sp?) and Black Lagoon one of these days.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Fairy Tail is to One Piece what non name brand cereal is to Cheerios.

Nel_Annette

Right now I'm just waiting for better FT collections to come out before I check it out, as per whatshisname's advice on TZ. Vyse, I think.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Nel on September 12, 2012, 02:48:58 PM
Right now I'm just waiting for better FT collections to come out before I check it out, as per whatshisname's advice on TZ. Vyse, I think.
:SHOCK:

Nel_Annette

Well he said they'd probably do the 25-episode collection sets thing that they are doing with One Piece, compared to the 13-episode sets right now.

*stares at One Piece Season 1 and 2 dvds* You colossal friggin' wastes of money.  :unimpressed:

Avaitor

Lately I've been checking out The AV Club's Gateway to Geekery series, where they attempt to find starting points in a vast element of culture, ranging from types of films or music, film or discographies of certain people, long-running series of characters and TV shows, and so on. I don't agree with some of the main choices, but these make for really cool reads and give good ideas for starting points for each topic.

Here's one they made for anime, and I'm curious as to what you guys think about it. I think the choices are all solid, especially the main one. It's a film that Spielberg loves and took a lot of influence from, which would make for a great comparison for western newbies.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Castle of Caglistro definitely works out. It's definitely pretty good in terms of anime you could show to normal people.

talonmalon333

What would you guys say are some of the great anime movies to check out?

EDIT: Looks like you guys are talking about one currently.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like the recommendation, myself. Castle of Cagliostro may not be the best Lupin iteration or even the best Lupin-related thing out there (its actually completely inaccurate to the original source material and even the TV iterations, for that matter), but for outsiders to the series and especially for outsiders to anime, it is a great stand-alone film to watch and enjoy. I can definitely see it having mass appeal to more than just anime fans.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 13, 2012, 11:41:47 PM
What would you guys say are some of the great anime movies to check out?

Well, I did like Ninja Scroll back when I watched it 5+ years ago, but I haven't seen it since then, so I can't really say whether it holds up or not.

Akira is a good film but it falters in places for me.

There are a bunch of classic Miyazaki films, but honestly I haven't been able to get into any other than Castle of Cagliostro.

As for me, I can't really comment on what the best anime film is, but I can say that out of all of the ones that I've seen, my personal favorite is Summer Wars.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'd probably go with a Miyazaki movie myself, and it really depends on the person.

Spirited Away is a generally good all-around choice, since it's a strong and not-too-distant story with a lot of creativity and effort to work with. Totoro or Castle in the Sky would be good for big Disney fans that are always up for something similar in that vein. Mononoke and Nausicaa are there for someone who wants something that skews a little bit older. And for people who want something a bit stranger but with a strong sense of humor, Castle of Cagliostro and Porco Rosso are fine choices.

Oh wait, you want great anime movies, not beginners. Well, all of those work, and I'll second EK's choices as well. Grave of the Fireflies is also worth watching.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2012, 11:44:08 PM

Well, I did like Ninja Scroll back when I watched it 5+ years ago, but I haven't seen it since then, so I can't really say whether it holds up or not.

Akira is a good film but it falters in places for me.

There are a bunch of classic Miyazaki films, but honestly I haven't been able to get into any other than Castle of Cagliostro.

As for me, I can't really comment on what the best anime film is, but I can say that out of all of the ones that I've seen, my personal favorite is Summer Wars.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 14, 2012, 12:31:32 AM
Yeah, I'd probably go with a Miyazaki movie myself, and it really depends on the person.

Spirited Away is a generally good all-around choice, since it's a strong and not-too-distant story with a lot of creativity and effort to work with. Totoro or Castle in the Sky would be good for big Disney fans that are always up for something similar in that vein. Mononoke and Nausicaa are there for someone who wants something that skews a little bit older. And for people who want something a bit stranger but with a strong sense of humor, Castle of Cagliostro and Porco Rosso are fine choices.

Oh wait, you want great anime movies, not beginners. Well, all of those work, and I'll second EK's choices as well. Grave of the Fireflies is also worth watching.

Thanks, guys. Akira and Totoro are movies I've definitely planned on seeing. And I'll write down everything else you've recommended. I saw Spirited Away years ago and need to really rewatch it, but I remember it being great. Grave of the Fireflies is one of the strongest war films I've seen, but I thought you weren't a big fan of it, Avaitor. :P

Avaitor

I'm also not big on like half the Miyazaki films I listed. Just because they aren't for me doesn't mean that they're not worth seeing for yourself. :P

New blog!

gunswordfist

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody