Favorite Disney Movies

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That wild west idea actually sounds interesting. But then, considering how lackluster their 2D movies were generally getting it isn't surprising that they didn't go with it. Much like latter day TDA, they lost the plot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Disney has a new series of deluxe edition CDs to commemorate some of their films' anniversaries.

If you don't want to click the link, here is their schedule so far:

• The Lion King, June 24, 2014
  • Mary Poppins, August 26, 2014
  • Sleeping Beauty, October 7, 2014
  • The Little Mermaid, November 17, 2014
  • Fantasia, January 3, 2015
  • Pinocchio, February 3, 2015
  • Toy Story, March 17, 2015
  • Disneyland, April 7, 2015
  • Lady and the Tramp, May 12, 2015
  • Pocahontas, June 23, 2015
  • The Aristocats, August 14, 2015
  • Cinderella, August 14, 2015

Yes, we're hitting the 20th anniversary of the Lion King and the 25th anniversary of the Little Mermaid. You are that old.

It's a little weird that they're doing this, since CD is increasingly fading away, but the Frozen soundtrack is doing so well, that this might have sparked their interest. I'm definitely interested in a few of these, though, including the Lion King. I wish 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a part of this though, since its anniversary is this year, but hey, maybe if they're still putting these out come 2019, we might get it. They also skipped Toy Story 2 and Princess and the Frog, so there's room to keep on.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nameless

I tend to prefer their non-fairy tale movies, and one of my favorites is One Hundred and One Dalmatians. I love its somewhat irreverent tone, the fact that the parents don't die, the whole idea of the dog/animal society, and, frankly, the lack of nasty under/overtones relating to race or gender roles.

I guess that's what annoys me about the TV series...all that potential tossed out for generic slapstick comedy and an attempt to ape Animaniacs.

Commode

Is Aladdin not available on Blu-Ray yet?  How is this possible?  If I'm reading correctly, the last release of the movie was a decade ago on DVD, which of course is long out of print.

All I want to do is watch Aladdin, but it's not on Netflix, I can't download it on iTunes, and there's no reasonable physical format readily available(unless I want to try my luck at local Goodwills for a VHS).  What the hell Disney?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

The belief is that Aladdin will finally got its Diamond Collection release next year. I guess after the Platinum DVD's disappointing sales, they weren't sure if it should be kept on, and decided at the last minute to keep it in after all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I just think it's kind of weird seeing as Aladdin is one of their more popular movies.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on June 29, 2014, 06:04:51 PM
I just think it's kind of weird seeing as Aladdin is one of their more popular movies.
But doesn't this vault stuff just make you want it more?

Seriously, I wish they would just stop with this already and just put their films out there to buy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2014, 11:57:27 AMSeriously, I wish they would just stop with this already and just put their films out there to buy.
A surprisingly unpopular opinion on the old Ultimate Disney message board (now DVDizzy).

Just as big a tragedy were those classic cartoon collection sets and the Walt Disney Treasures that were probably only left in-print for a few months. Leading to Scalpers buying up all the remaining copies and selling them at the OOP prices for profit. A new copy of Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh shot up to hundreds of dollars in something like a couple months. Maybe less. It went OOP within the week it was released, something like that. Proving that scalpers bought more copies than anyone else.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I saw a copy of Dr. Sin on eBay for like, $25 not too long ago, actually. If I had the money, I would have hit that up.

I'm thankful for the two times DMR put up some of their leftover Treasures sets on their site. I wouldn't own the Oswald collection or Your Host, Walt Disney without them.

New blog!

Avaitor

RIP Dick Jones, the voice of Pinocchio.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

gunswordfist

R.I.P. Jones. This year has been tough on voice actors.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on July 07, 2014, 03:42:56 PMI saw a copy of Dr. Sin on eBay for like, $25 not too long ago, actually. If I had the money, I would have hit that up.

I'm thankful for the two times DMR put up some of their leftover Treasures sets on their site. I wouldn't own the Oswald collection or Your Host, Walt Disney without them.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if those sets you saw on eBay were bootlegs.

Not sure how one goes about counterfeiting the tin but I'm sure it can be done.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finally got around to seeing Wreck-It Ralph with my little sister. Overall, I loved it. I do feel that they could've done more with the concept, but I'm still satisfied with what we got.