Let's Talk About... Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Avaitor, March 08, 2015, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, my laptop has ceased allowing me to play DVDs, so unfortunately I won't be able to post any more screens.

Sorry, guys.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Aww, it's okay. I'll try to see what I can do.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm so frustrated that I haven't had much time to write. Here's my brief make-up for last week:

77. Sensui's Fall

I already talked about this in-depth on my favorite episodes list, but I just love the way that Sensui's backstory is handled. He is bar none my favorite Shonen Jump villain by far.

78. Divide and Conquer

This plays into my love for this arc's use of wit over power. The coordinated efforts of Sensui's team easily renders the completely unprepared Team Urameshi at a disadvantage despite them being physically stronger. This is precisely what makes these opponents so interesting in the first place.

Sorry, but I just have so little time to write. This week's entries will be late as well, but needless to say, this set of episodes dealing with Sniper don't let up on the momentum of this arc one bit.

Avaitor

My laptop's DVD player isn't great, so I'm going to have to go without screencaps for right now. I'll try to change that soon, though.

After last week's exciting car chase start, tonight's duo continues it, as Yusuke gets into his fight with Sniper. We also get to find out what happened to Hiei, as he comes at just the right time during the latter match.

We're continuing to learn more about why Sensui went rogue, and get some great action in the process. This is only the continuation of a great arc that's occurring.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Late again. Sorry. Will have to keep it brief.

79. The Human Race

The moment where Seaman finally makes a decision to change sides is a great redemption moment for him. I also like how Elder Toguro comes back into play, and it almost feels like Togashi really planned this arc out in the way that all of the little pieces fit together.

80. Moving Target

This was a great fight between Yusuke and Sniper, and it's a great use of a creative power. Once again, Yusuke is being outwitted by an opponent which he could easily kill. I especially love when Sniper sends a fuel truck after him.

And of course, as Yusuke predicted, Hiei comes back to save the day at the last minute.

Avaitor

Would either of you guys be willing to take the helms this week? I have plans tonight that I need to keep.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't gotten around to watching this week's or last week's episodes yet. Without my DVD player, it's a lot harder to get a chance to watch.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll try my best to do today's entries later tonight. No promises, though.

Avaitor

Aww man, well this week's set of episodes was pretty fun.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

These were great episodes, and almost serve as a prototype for the outlandish sorts of conflicts that are found ever present in Hunter X Hunter. The next two episodes will be an excellent character piece for Kurama.

Also, if you noticed, this battle with Game Master was foreshadowed earlier when Yusuke was playing the game of the same name in the arcade.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

81. Let the Games Begin

I fucking love Game Master's territory ability. It's very creative, and I also like how it's foreshadowed in an earlier episode back when Yusuke is playing Goblin City in an arcade. I also like the banter between Game Master and Seaman, with the former clearly thinking that he's above the latter, especially after what he considers to be Seman's betrayal. He says that people picked on him because he stood out, not because he was weak like Mitarai.

Now, if you're perceptive here, you can catch on to the fact that this is once again brilliant manipulation on Sensui's part. Both characters were victims of similar circumstances. However Sensui told them different things based on what he knew that they "wanted" to hear. In Miatarai's case, it was that he was bullied because humans are inherently evil and he can be above that by helping to bring an end to his own evil race. Game Master was a much younger victim, though, so Sensui didn't bother sparing him the entire details of his master plan. Rather he knew just how to entice the kid into thinking that he would be using his powers in a fun way while helping out a good cause (one that the kid clearly doesn't fully comprehend). Really, though, Sensui is just using Game Master for his own ambitions, and in this case is merely having him stall the heroes to buy him some much needed time. That may not seem so bad right now, but it'll become apparent why it is so despicable by tomorrow's set of episodes.

82. If You Could Play Forever

Plot-wise, this episode just continues on with the set-up of the Goblin City game in Game Master's territory. However we have an interesting development when Kaito catches on to the fact that there's something off about Amanuma after he starts acting chummy with him despite being an enemy. Clearly the kid is oblivious to the circumstances of not only Sensui's plans, but also what will happen to him if he loses by the rules of his own territory. And as we've seen with Kaito before, even the master of the territory is not exempt from the rules that he sets.

What's great about this character is that you can totally buy into him being set-up like this. Sure, he's an annoying little shit, but he's intentionally written as one since most kids are at that age. What works so well about his character, though, is that just like any other kid his age he's clearly not evil. Rather, he's just being misguided and taken advantage of by a bad role-model. In the next episode, we'll learn of the harsh consequences that are in store for a kid who really doesn't deserve what's happening to him, despite working for the enemy under false pretenses, when the series delves into one of its darker moments.

As always, this arc never fails to engage me.

Avaitor

Well, the theme of this week is to not fuck with Kurama.

Damn, dude.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Playing catch-up from last week.

83. Game Over

This is why Kurama is my favorite YYH character. Almost everything that he says or does has purpose. I love the scene where he clenches his fist until it bleeds to show how much he hates what he has to do, but still uses a cold and calculated strategy to defeat Game Master even though he knows that means it'll cause his death. It really does stray the lines of moral ambiguity. Killing off an innocent life (remember, he was just an ordinary kid manipulated into doing something wrong by Sensui), and justifying it in that he would save many more lives in the process.

84. Kurama's Anger, Gourmet's Guest

I already talked about this episode extensively in my favorite episodes list, so go check that out if you want my full analysis on it. But to briefly reiterate, this is just such an amazing episode for Kurama's character. It also brings Elder Toguro back in a sensible way, and the way that Kurama ultimately defeats him is nothing short of bad-ass; essentially sentencing him to eternal damnation rather than just going for an easy kill. It's a reminder to us that, despite his outward appearance and general kind demeanor, Kurama has a history as a violent, cold-blooded demon, and if you really try to fuck with him, you'll bring that side of him out once more and learn to regret it.

This week's episodes will commence the direct confrontation between Yusuke and Sensui, so they should be a real blast to revisit.

Avaitor

And now Yusuke and Sensui are together at last, and are able to get a great wollop at each other. Yusuke gets some great hits in so far, but Sensui more than holds his own as a great threat.

We learn a good deal in between the action, primarily that 1) Sensui is probably gay, but most importantly 2) he has created 7 alternate personalties to help ease the stress from hiding in his mind, and we meet one of them tonight. Great stuff.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm sorry that I missed yesterday's post. I passed out after work, and didn't really get up afterwords.

But man, this is a great set of episodes. Just when it looks like Kazuya, the personality that has inhabited Sensui's body, is about to kill Yusuke, Koenma comes to intervene between his two prodigies. Koenma's disappointment towards Sensui's development is displayed, but that doesn't match the anger that he feels for Sensui's betrayal, all of which he laughs off. There's some good action here, but this is more of a personal episode for the three characters, primarily a strong one for Koenma.

The characters have more to offer in the following episode, as Sensui's next personality, Shinobu, comes around. He is fully cognizant of Sensui's actions, but finds there is nothing for him to feel bad about. This makes the ongoing battle remain exciting, as Yusuke and Koenma take turns trying to decide who should stop Sensui.

I hope that I'm not the only one still watching along, since man, is Chapter Black great. There's rich material all over this arc, and the best has yet to come.

New blog!