Let's Talk About... Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Avaitor, March 08, 2015, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn, I'm way behind. I'll do my write-ups for last week's episodes and this week's tomorrow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Really great episodes despite being stuck in one location the whole time.

85. Spirit Detective Showdown

Not much plot is covered in this episode, but we do learn about Itsuki's unique power, and it's interesting to see Sensui overwhelm Yusuke with his years of experience despite being physically weaker.

86. The Difference Maker

It's really great to see Yusuke overcome Sensui in a fight in his own unique style by proving that he can be really unpredictable while still utilizing strategy. Additionally, this episode is notable for revealing the twist that Sensui has multiple personalities, and we finally see a new one, Kazuya, with a mounted arm gun to match.

87. The Power Between the Teeth

What I particularly love about this episode is how it sells the history between Koenma and Sensui. I love how we see a different side of Koenma as he shows regret for failing to keep Sensui on the right path, and not spotting the signs of his mental decline before he disappeared for several years. You also get a sense of Sensui's animosity towards Koenma. Of course Yusuke appropriately breaks up this dark reunion only to bring out Sensui's best and worst side, Shinobu.

88. The True Face of Sensui

Shinobu really lives up to all of the build-up and as an S-Class level fighter, proves to be more than what Yusuke can handle at his level. This leaves our Spirit Detective with no other options than to sacrifice himself to give his friends a chance to fight back. I really love how this shows us how high the stakes are, as well as how much Yusuke has grown in maturity as a character throughout the course of the series.

Yup, this arc is still Togashi'so best by miles. Sadly, though, it is quickly approaching its inevitable climax and conclusion.

Spark Of Spirit

I wish I had more to add, but I don't. The final fight with Sensui sure is insane, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have a lot more that I could add. Each episode of this arc is so packed with substance. Unfortunately it's a lack of time which constrains me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This week, Yusuke makes a bold sacrifice and we finally get to see his closest friends unleash their rage. You really get a sense of how close this unlikely group of heroes have grown with each other throughout the course of the series. It's really heartfelt stuff at moments like this.

Avaitor

"Please, this is why I came back? More pain?"

That says it all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Late as usual.

89. Death of a Spirit Detective

An very heartfelt and emotional episode. We see how much Yusuke has grown as a character throughout the series. In the beginning, he never would have been willing to sacrifice himself so willingly for anyone other than Keiko. We also see how much everyone has come to love, admire, and respect Yusuke for how he's grown, and you can really feel the pain and heartbreak that the characters go through at his apparent death.

90. Attempting Revenge

It's great to see Yusuke's friends unleash everything that they have to try and avenge him. I particularly love the part where Kurama notes that Hiei is willing to die in trying to take out Sensui to gain justice for Yusuke's defeat at his hands, essentially fighting for someone other than himself or Yukina. It's also great to finally see King Yama, and after being built up as a force to be reckoned with for 90 episodes, he definitely comes off as an imposing overlord of sorts.

This set of episodes was great, and this week's episodes only continue the thrilling conclusion. I'll post about them later on.

Avaitor

Yep, this week's set is great shit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Still behind on my entries, but this week's episodes bring the Chapter Black arc to a close. I especially love the aftermath showing the rest of Sensui's crew regaining and cherishing their everyday lives and humanity.

Overall, this is still one of my favorite story arcs of all time.

Spark Of Spirit

I like how everyone gets a send-off, including epilogues for characters who don't come back later in the story. Looks like he already knew at the time what he'd be doing next in the story.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Don't mistake my tired introductions for apathy. I still think that the show is great, but I've just ran out of things to say. But really, I'm just not much into writing anymore.

Still, we got a great end to Sensui's arc, as well as an epilogue that helps to give the Chapter Black story some necessary closure. But we're not done yet!

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Last week's episodes:

91. Waking the Lost

We learn about Yusuke's origin as a Mazoku. Admittedly it's a plot point that comes out of left field, but it fits his character, is explained well, and doesn't feel out of place in the context of the series. Also, his rebirth signifies the culmination of his character arc from this story-line, and Puu's Phoenix form is clearly symbolic of Yusuke having matured.

92. The Proof

Not too much to this episode aside from a pretty cool fight. I did genuinely get chills down my spine the first time that I watched it, though, when Raizen overtakes Yusuke's body and completes his demonic transformation.

Overall, a great pair of episodes. I'll cover the ones from this week later on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

93. Sensui's End

This concludes the battle between Yusuke and Sensui. What stands out here is Sensui's poignant speech at the end. It really cements in what an interesting and morally complex character he is, which makes him one of the best Shonen Jump villains of all time in my book. We also learn the important plot point that Yusuke's ancestor is still alive, which is something that will be dealt with in the following story arc. Overall, a great climax.

94. Topside

This episodes winds things down and closes out the arc. It's great to see all of the supporting cast, both heroes and villains, get their own personal moments to leave off on, and it really shows you the humanity in all of them. A lesser writer would ignore something like this, but Togashi captures it all beautifully.

We also get a new plot point leading into the next arc, showing that the consequences of Koenma acting out against his father's orders has now made him an enemy of Spirit World. Additionally, we get to see Yusuke start up his next and final character arc of the series.

This is a great closing episode to cap off one of the greatest story arcs in a Shonen Jump series.

Chapter Black
Overall Grade: A+
Summary of Thoughts: Honestly, I've already gushed about this arc at length numerous times before. Desensitized/Spark did a great write-up for it for our top story arcs list. At this point, I don't really have too much to add. It might not be as iconic as something like Namek, Kyoto, Enies Lobby, Stardust Crusaders, or various other popular story arcs from either Jump Comics or manga and anime in general, but it's easily on par with the best of the best, and remains to be some of Togashi's finest writing. This re-watch pretty much proved to me how well it holds up.

This week we start up the show's final story arc! It'll definitely be fascinating to revisit after all of these years.

Avaitor

I'm pretty distracted by the caucus, so I have even less to add tonight than usual.

But these eps are a good start to the final arc of the series. Spark, EK, have anything more to add for now?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Only thing I'm not a fan of is how Kuwabara is so quickly pushed out of focus. I still think he should have had something to do during this arc.