Favorite 8-bit Hero

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 10, 2011, 12:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For many of us games of the 8-bit era were among the earliest that we were exposed to, if not the first. For me, I was born around the time the NES was already in the homes of most kids, and the SNES was starting to be hyped up as the must-buy next generation console, a little over a year before its official release. Still, even though my first games ever were 16-bit ones, I also had the opportunity to try many 8-bit classics, either from ports to the NES or whenever I visited any of my friends who had older brothers who had the console.

So, naturally a lot of us have taken likings to some of the original 8-bit game heroes that were around long before we had our Max Paynes and Master Chiefs of today (just to refer to a few of the popular game hero characters of the modern era of gaming).

So, this thread is to see who people's favorite game heroes were (or still maybe even are) during the period of your youth when you had a lot more time to spend with your favorite games playing as your favorite characters. And I'd encourage people to share their reasons why, if possible.

I bet nobody can guess who mine is. :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

I always liked Mike Jones from StarTropics because he seemed like a normal kid like me who got sucked into this epic adventure. It's part of the reason I love that series so much and wish it would get a revival.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was so expecting Mega Man. I totally got caught off-guard on that one. I should probably try Star Tropics on an emulator one of these days, if its available via an emulator, that is.

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man's alright, but I preferred Proto Man as a kid. I was one of the kids who actually liked Bass, too, so I played as him in the arcade fighting games. Mega Man's alright, but I actually prefer playing as the other characters more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Neomysterion X. Prime

My favourite 8-bit hero would definitely be Kirby... from Kirby's Adventure.
Sounds obvious because I like the pink guy more than anyone here.  :blush:

You know, I'm going to aim for Bubbles from Clu Clu Land for this one.  .3.

Daxdiv

Little Mac. He can go toe to toe with various other boxers that easily outclass him in strength and size.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on January 10, 2011, 12:48:58 AM
Mega Man's alright, but I preferred Proto Man as a kid. I was one of the kids who actually liked Bass, too, so I played as him in the arcade fighting games. Mega Man's alright, but I actually prefer playing as the other characters more.
Damn, you already named my second favorite. I bet you also already know my first.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody