Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Hmm... well, you could just buy a used GameCube, and call it a day. *shot*

Nah, I agree, but we all knew it'd come eventually. The DSi dropped GBA compatibility, so it was only a matter of time before the Wii's successor would follow suit. Damn shame too, because I've always loved the GC controller (some still call it awkward, but I tend to highly disagree with those claims).

Rynnec

For all those claims that the GC controller is awkward, it's nowhere near as cumbersome as this:

At least the GC doesn't strain your hands.

Spark Of Spirit

The only things I don't like about the GC controller is the d-pad and that there's only 1 Z button. It's a really comfortable controller with good button placement, but those two issues hold it back a bit.

The original X-box controller is pretty unwieldy. And the d-pad is still complete garbage even a full gaming generation later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I've never been crazy on the c-stick and agree with the d-pad being weak, but otherwise, I really liked the GCN controller.

The X-Box controller, though, eh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on September 06, 2011, 07:23:59 PM
For all those claims that the GC controller is awkward, it's nowhere near as cumbersome as this:
At least the GC doesn't strain your hands.

You posted a picture of the smaller XBOX controller, actually, which while not the most ideal controller was far from a hand-strain (I know, because I played hours of Ninja Gaiden Black on that thing every day, and its not nearly as bad as the original XBOX controller). I actually liked the button lay-out and overall set-up for the more manageable controller because it was very similar to the DC which was my favorite console of the PS1/N64 generation.

I do agree that the original bulky controller was horrid, though. It was really a strain to play on that thing for long periods of time.

talonmalon333

I'd say the worst controller was the NES one. It was too small and had no grip, so it was awkward to hold. :P

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 06, 2011, 09:29:46 PM
I'd say the worst controller was the NES one. It was too small and had no grip, so it was awkward to hold. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The original NES controller certainly wasn't the worst. For Nintendo's very first console, and thus their very first controller, it was pretty good. Its certainly not the most ideal controller, as its rather small and doesn't feel that sturdy to grip, but it worked perfectly for the types of games that were available on the NES.

Rynnec

I'd say the most ideal controller would be anything based of the Super Nintendo's. As most modern day controllers basically took it's design, and added to it.(Dualshock, Classic Controller, etc.)

Spark Of Spirit

The SNES (and by extension the Classic Controllers) had a great controller, as did the Genesis and the Saturn. Comfy button set up and great d-pad. The N64 and Dreamcast are weird, but you get used to them... but the Playstation controller has never felt all that good to me, especially that awful d-pad they keep using.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on September 07, 2011, 03:20:04 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 06, 2011, 09:29:46 PM

I was. :P

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 07, 2011, 10:28:44 AM
The original NES controller certainly wasn't the worst. For Nintendo's very first console, and thus their very first controller, it was pretty good. Its certainly not the most ideal controller, as its rather small and doesn't feel that sturdy to grip, but it worked perfectly for the types of games that were available on the NES.

True. But I'd call it the worst purely by default really, because of it's size. I mean, what other Nintendo controller could be worse? The N64 one had  a messy button setup, but it was comfortable.

Quote from: Rynnec on September 07, 2011, 02:21:33 PM
I'd say the most ideal controller would be anything based of the Super Nintendo's. As most modern day controllers basically took it's design, and added to it.(Dualshock, Classic Controller, etc.)

Valid point. Personally though, my favorites are the PS2 and GC controllers.

Eddy

I love the NES and SNES controllers. My favorite controller of all time is probably the GameCube controller, followed by the 360. They may have had lousy d-pads, but most everything else about those controllers are perfect.

Not to keep harping on Nintendo, but they've recently said something else that kind of pissed me off.

Miyamoto is putting the fate of the Star Fox franchise on the sales of Star Fox 64 3D. If it doesn't sell he's going to assume that people aren't interested in the Star Fox franchise and most likely kill it off. In other words, they're putting the fate of the series in the sales of an N64 port with little to no added features that people can get for $10 off the Virtual Console. What the hell?

They might as well kill off the franchise anyway because they haven't done a damn thing with it SINCE Star Fox 64. They didn't make Adventures, Assault, or Command.

Spark Of Spirit

Why don't they just have Treasure make it if they won't do it themselves?

At least give it to someone who will make a great game.

Daxdiv

That's even worse than the Capcom's Wii Test! This is absurd.

Avaitor

I think I'm going to buy a copy of the game even though I don't have a 3DS. Not worth risking.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/