Street Fighter

Started by Mustang, August 25, 2018, 09:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Long overdue. Long post incoming and may go all over the place.

Street Fighter 1
Yep, we'll just skip that one. I never played it and will never attempt. Sorry.

Street Fighter 2
I know I started with this one. And from what I remember this was not the hooking point. I mean, I had a candy store around the corner from where I used to live that had a Street Fighter 2 Arcade machine in it, but I didn't play it much. Super Street Fighter 2 was where everything really started for me. My brother's friend used had a Game Genie and for the most part he was cheating but it looked cool. Another friend of my brother bodied me with Ken (only using HP Shoryuken) and that was the first time I lost to a girl in videogames. Thinking about it now it was a simple tactic (but it was good because if you see that your opponent can't punish it why stop?) and I'd punish the hell out of it if that scenario were to ever repeat itself these days lol. Anyway, I got it for the Super Nintendo and my love for Ryu took off. Ken's image looked weird to me so I never gelled with him. Of course my brother and I had some epic back and forths. Ryu vs Guile. In the long run I won. When I played at the arcade with my cousin I felt kinda sorry because I felt that I was too good to play him with my Ryu so I chose Blanka when he chose Ryu and I bodied him with Blanka's St. RH. I knew I was decent when I got him complaining about doing that kick repeatedly. All I did was laugh it off. Back at home against the computer. Guile and T-Hawk were my nightmares. I think I was about 9 or 10 playing this game.

Street Fighter Alpha 2
I don't have any recollection of Alpha 1. And I got into the Alpha series relatively late because, well, I spent majority of my time outside with my friends playing basketball or some form of tag. I think it was the Saturn I had this for. Again, main character I spent most of my time playing with was Ryu and Ken, but then I saw the baddest of the bad for the first time and instantly clicked with him. Of course I'm talking about Guy. I thought he was the coolest character ever and of course I thought I was a badass. My brother chose Adon and Charlie and of course epic matches ensued mainly when I chose Guy or Ken. Ryu were epic blowouts. I had a 42 win streak against my brother and I'm thinking I'm hot shit. 13-14 around this time.

I saw a little bit of Street Fighter 3 and thought immediately like the majority. This cast of characters suck. After that I moved onto other types of games, and eventually went onto chasing ass.

Mind you, I know nothing of tournaments at this time either. My little world of me being the best, lol.

Fast forward to about 2008

Street Fighter Alpha 3
This was my first time playing fighting games in a long time. And I never owned this game either. This was all due to my brother-in-law. Nothing felt familiar to me, but it was a blast just to play alongside someone else that enjoyed fighting games just as much. This was also my introduction to Cody. I believe 23-24 here.

2nd note, I haven't spoken anything about -ISMs, unblockables, meaties, spacing, or tiers.

Super Street Fighter 4
Again, this was thanks to my brother-in-law. And (I'm gonna repeat myself for the millionth time) this right here is how I got back into loving fighting games. Even though he had a huge advantage against me because we were playing on the Xbox 360 and I never played before, but the urge to want to learn the game played a huge part in my return. When I did a little search on SSF4 tutorial on Youtube I was introduced to Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross. And then suddenly I'm hearing all sorts of nonsense (footsies, spacing, etc, etc). Look up whoever this Daigo Umehara was and my mind was blown. I believe it was Daigo vs Justin Wong or Lamer Boi (whichever one Adam Sessler was apart of the commentary). To see Cr. Mk > Hado > FADC > Ultra for the 1st time I was like I have to learn this game ASAP. I went through so many character crisis during this because there were so many characters that I wanted to play but I wanted to only pick and learn 1 or 2 and then seeing how deep the game actually was I knew I wasn't gonna be satisfied with just 1 character (Hell, I didn't settle on Dudley until 2015). I can't remember his name now, but he was a top Fei Long player and I got bodied. I was playing Ken at the time. That made me chuckle because I remembered back when I thought I was hot shit that I never played any near the level of respected top players when I was a kid. Playing SSF4 got me interested 3rd Strike cast and well

Street Fighter 3rd Strike
I decided to revisit the game only to be blown away by what I was seeing. At this time I was watching a lot of Maximilian's 3rd Strike videos along with TheShend and NicaKO. It wasn't so much of the parry mechanic that got me, it was more the simpler, but harder things that hooked me. Hit-confirming was probably the biggest takeaways I got from watching a lot of high level videos. Short (cr.Lk), Short, Super to be exact. NicaKo's Yang and Kokujin's Dudley were a treat to see. While no being no where near their levels I try to imitate some of the things they do.

All that brings me to the roller coaster ride that is Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition. I don't even know where to begin with this one. Till this day my brother-in-law has not touch this game and I can't blame him. He's even more of a Ryu guy than I am and he hates to see Ryu being weak character. Even though I came full circle about who I'm choosing, I'm still iffy on the choices. At the lowest level this game is an eyesore, but at the highest level it's a treat to see. The gameplay is good. Timing is a bit different but you don't have to worry about 1 frame links. In a sense the V-trigger mechanic reminds me of FADC's a little bit, but Capcom toned it down (taking the fun out of it). I don't know the end game for Street Fighter 5 but I do hope at least Yang, Yun, or Dudley make it into the game and they're as fun as they were in 3 and 4. And they gotta look good too. Cody is such a disappointment. Don't know where he stands in terms of strength but his animations are terrible. If they don't make it in then I hope

Street Fighter 6
My hope for Street Fighter 6 (if they make one) is to bring every character that's been in a Street Fighter game into this one. No sandbagging. I haven't followed any story at all, but in terms of story I hear that everything still leads up to 3rd Strike. Ryu was a beast in 3rd Strike. I want Capcom to let him off his leash.

That being said I'll end it there. My favorite Street Fighter is Ultra Street Fighter 4. Being able to express yourself through a character means a lot especially when you found one that you can gel with and learn the game with. Dudley and Ryu are my favorite characters in the series. I'll add more in due time (I got a lot to say about Street Fighter and E-sports and whatnot), but I want to know what everyone else's history or just favorites are.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

https://plus.google.com/+NinjaWorldWarrior16/posts/4wjhy1qpvKo

Considering how SF5 currently is you'd think more people would be on board (if this turns out to be true), especially if it means being able to play a character your way instead of the flow chart.

The stages though. WOO, if this turns out to be true, I'm gonna throw a lot of money at Capcom.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/dec/11/heres-how-street-fighter-5-arcade-editions-new-sponsored-content-works/

Man, Capcom's fighting division. People are blasting them for this decision and I can't blame them, but at the same time the option to turn ads on and off is there, but the fact that they'd do it in the first place. Wow.

I'm seeing inklings about Capcom might force the players at Capcom Cup to use those ad costumes this weekend. If that happens they're not going to hear the end of it (Season 4 announcement has got to rock the socks off of people)

My opinion, I'm gonna watch Capcom Cup this weekend but afterwards I'm gonna get away from this game until ish dies down because these folks seem like they like to whine just to whine and it's tiresome.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Daikun

Mustang

I'm excited for it. Graphically/visually, if they're using that look, looks like it can be next gen only. I got more to say but I'm going to save it for the weekend cause I'm gonna go in on some of the stupidity I've been seeing with this announcement.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

So I put off for talking about this since it was announced. People are stupid. Very stupid. Street Fighter 6 was announced last weekend and it's February. I get being disappointed but to actually expect game play at all. IN FEBRUARY!? Yes, we get ANNOUNCEMENTS after Capcom Cup. WE GET GAMEPLAY TRAILERS AT E3/EVO. Seriously, people how dumb are you? This has been the norm since Street Fighter 5.

So after seeing people talk stupid on that, I see people are now focusing how Ryu's crotch.... I Hate people.

I'm cool with speculating what Street Fighter 6 is going to be. That's what we should be doing, but unfortunately it's been drowned out by all this other bullshit. I mean people are crying about logo's now. LOGO's? The smallest of thing to actually complain about (It boggled my mind when people were bitching about the HUD in GGS), we really want to bitch about logo's.

I'm drawing a blank but there was something else that happened dealing with Street Fighter 5. But seriously, if new people are looking to get into the Fighting Game Community, I implore you to stay far away. People overreacting over nothing. People are forgetting that Ono is no longer a part of Capcom. Give these people a chance to do things they're own way first before jumping the gun. The scene is too toxic right now. Online bitching, offline bitching. Just stay away. If you want to learn lurk in someone's twitch stream (hopefully that person has a youtube for you)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

So there's been speculations on leaks and whatnot. I'm fine with this. Just none of this other garbage I've been seeing. I don't know what I'd want for Street Fighter 6 personally. It's been legacy for so, at this point I don't know what else you can do with these characters outside of a small reboot. I guess if Capcom keeps going with the legacy route then I'd like to see all the characters change like Ken in SF5. Overall Ken was still a shoto, but his moves, even though they were still that of a traditional shoto, he was more flashy compared to how he was in other Street Fighters. Cody was changed up (too bad his animation sucked). The main thing I'd want is for every character to have combos. I don't want people suggesting to me to play "_______" if I want to play a character that's combo heavy. If I hate said character but they have combos I'm not going to enjoy the game. Balrog, as fun as he is in 5 I don't like him and at one point I didn't enjoy the game because of it.

But in terms of characters I want, if I can't get Dudley then gimme the twins and/or Guy. Other than that I can't think of anything. I'd rather see what kind of direction this game will go now that Ono is gone.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

I would probably start paying close attention to some of these developers starting Sunday with ArcRevo. There's a Dev's corner coming up I think this coming Monday and then there's a huge balance patch update for Street Fighter 5 coming (supposedly the final patch for this game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRa0UfX0mE

That clip is a teaser, but I'd pay very close attention to whatever combos are found. Some of them can tell you the direction Street Fighter 6 will go. They did a similar thing in USF4 (Omega Edition), but nobody expected Capcom to toned the combos down. I think everybody and there mother is asking for more combo routes going forward and from the looks of it that's what we're getting.

Edit 1:

Speaking of USF4 and Omega Edition. I have NOT bothered with Omega Edition at all and I'm so stupid for not doing so earlier. Swag combos galore and it's what I want. I've been so gong-ho on learning and honing my skills in Ultra, I've neglected the edition that allows for all the craziness and swag at the same time. NO MORE! Anytime I fire up USF4 it will forever be Omega unless someone else wants to keep it classic.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZud-p0QRvA

This is why people in the FGC need to chill and let things play out first. Give these folks at Capcom a chance now that Ono is gone instead of jumping the gun being cynical because that's the thing to do now.

I'm so pumped for this game. Can it reclaim it's thrown as KING. Some of the details going into the game, it just might.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPyZ5Noum9g

Guile looks GOOD. Capcom gave him more than 2 moves now. Considering how they're trying to get new people into the game I'm curious if Guile will be a charge character or not.

The stage looks crisp and clean too.

Apparently they're finally moving past SF3 as well. So the older looks sort of explains things, but me and lore... I'm good lol.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm really loving what I'm seeing. I'm still skeptical of how Capcom will treat this game upon release, which is my only point of concern so far, but still a significant one. I don't want them to repeat what they did with SF5 or even worse by creating a DOA6 situation. I don't want a bare-bones fighting game with most of the content coming months later at enough of a price to at least double the cost of the game. Give me a good, meaty game at launch, and I'll buy additional content if it hooks me (which is exactly what made SF4 and all of it's iterations so successful).

Mustang

Capcom can't afford to release another barebones fighting game at launch. The FGC alone will let them have it. Personally, what I'm seeing and am a little worried about in this single player world, you're going to have to be "always online". Much like ASW have you connect to the internet for everything I can see SF6 going in that same direction, especially with all the leaks that was shown. Not saying that's the case. I can just see it going in that direction.

A little side note action. Some of these media folks, the way some of them snuff their nose up just because its a fighting game, it's like, wow. These dev's are making this type of content specifically for people like that and I will always have the reaction of "why bother".
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The larger gaming media is something I've learned to ignore more or less for the last decade. I'll still chime in to listen to the opinions of a few individuals in the community who have shown to actually be fans of video games, but in most cases I just find the larger websites, YouTube channels, and other publications to be utterly useless when it comes to actual opinions on gaming.

Mustang

Yeah, I'm usually not phased any of this stuff. I'm always going be for the "like what you like" type of attitude, but in this case, it's like I'd rather you just tell me you can't stand fighting games and I'd be cool with that. I'll call them out, I was watching MinnMax (unfortunately Ben Hanson wasn't there) and the awkward silence and the "we're not the target audience for this game" for some reason just rubbed me the wrong way. Am I in my feelings? Yeah, probably, and to be honest they probably meant no harm, it just hit me like "well damn, just dismiss it immediately without even giving it a chance."

Like I said, they probably meant no harm in it. It's just that the talk in the FGC as of late has been "How can we get more people to play fighting games" and the answer has been coming back to single player content. Seeing that there's potentially a good way to tackle that single player content in SF6 just be brushed off as "we're not the targeted audience" got me in my feelings a bit, especially when you're trying to be sympathetic towards the devs putting in the work for that content.

Usually this don't bother me, but I'm old and bitter now  :sweat:
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

I was really about to go in on the FGC because of a lot of bullshit going on (lots of petty bullshit), but then I tuned into Tokyo Game Show and there was information overload. I'll just link Max's reaction because there's a lot to unpack here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOZZSQlBJI

The only warning I'll give is Max's infatuation for Ken can be grating if you're not a fan of the character (I didn't mind it, but just beware).

Other than that lets see off the dome;

Ken, Honda, Dhalsim and Blanka are returing.

At first Sim, Blanka and Honda looked more fun than Ken and I was kind of skeptical on the whole game at that point (I was watching at work so I missed a lot) and then I saw Max's video only to see that there was more revealed and boy was I did a complete 180 on Ken. His moveset looks really good, but let me be real for a second here. From a design standpoint I saw nothing wrong with Ken. Yeah his hair looked like bananas and people were going weird about his face which I saw nothing wrong with. From a gameplay perspective, the way they changed him compared to any other version, you can tell was a shoto but still different enough and I thought he was really fun in it. Here in 6 they gave him his crazy kicks back, but I gotta say as of right now I like SF5 Ken of 6. Definitely need to see him utilizing the drive mechanic before making any snap judgments.

I think a lot of people are going to be messing around with the world thingy. Personally, I probably won't touch it at all, but if it get more new people to actually try it out then that's a win. Actually let me take that back, it all depends on what's in those old arcades. Street Fighter 2 was playable and I saw a glimpse of Final Fight. If you can actually play these games online with other people, MAN. I'll try it out just for that.

If I'm not in Training Mode, the main draw for me, I think you can edit the characters. They didn't show anything but it looks like there might be a color editor. If so, I might get lost in that alone.

There's a closed Beta coming Oct 7 I think on the PS5, XSX/XSS. I can't remember if something about crossplay was mentioned or not.

I think I still left some stuff out.

If both this and Tekken 8 come out next year around March-June, next years EVO is going to be insane. And then just imagine getting Project L a year later, YOOOOOOO. SF6, T8, PL, KoF15, Strive, NRS game and possibly Multiversus, that's an insane line up.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol