Super Mario Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 13, 2011, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

We don't have a Mario thread? Weird.

Anyway, I got my copy of SM3DL today and it is pretty sweet. It really does feel like a 2D Mario in 3D, and is pretty much what I wanted from Super Mario 64 when it came out. The levels are just extraordinary, the power ups are all pretty cool, and the difficulty is just right. I think it goes without saying that it's the best portable Mario and it's WAY above Sunshine, but I don't know where I'd rank it. See, as much as I like it, I don't really know how to compare it with the other games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

It's out? Man I really need to get a 3DS now.

Also: C'mon NoA! Put out Yoshi's Island on the Virtual Console already.

Commode

It's pretty interesting so far, although I don't really like using the circle pad to control Mario, I'd much rather use the D-pad.  Also kind of interesting that Mario is hat-less as little Mario, don't think I've seen that in a Mario platformer before.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I like the old school 2D Mario art they have in game. I thought they forgot about that art- heck I still want a 2D Mario game with that art style.

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on November 13, 2011, 08:23:13 PM
It's pretty interesting so far, although I don't really like using the circle pad to control Mario, I'd much rather use the D-pad.  Also kind of interesting that Mario is hat-less as little Mario, don't think I've seen that in a Mario platformer before.
He could lose his hat in 64, and I think having 99 lives in NSMBWii removes it, but I don't remember.

My only control issue is that I keep misjudging running jump distance when running up or down since it uses 2D Mario rules and not 3D Mario rules, which throws me off sometimes. What I'm really surprised at is the camera. Despite having no camera control, the thing rarely ever seems to have bad placement and usually lets you see everything. Which is rare in games with no camera control. (Coincidentally, I thought pretty much the same of Sonic Generations)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Got the game at GameStop after work and got my Tanooki Mario Keychain. Pretty sweet. Beat the first two worlds and it's a pretty fun experience all together. It does feel like what a 2D Mario game would be in a 3D realm. Also, I love my little Tanooki suit, helped me out in a few levels here and there. Shame I can't seem to make him fly.

Also, love how half of my friend's list has this listed as their favorite game. Good eye for quality people.

Kiddington

Man, I wish I had the money you guys have. SM3DL looks really great, IMO (I dunno, I just think it looks quite unique; I love what I've seen it out of it so far), but thus... I don't even have a 3DS to play it on, let alone the game itself.

It's on my Christmas wish list, so we'll see.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I'm going for that 3DS bundle coming out next week. Figured I might as well since I really want the game, and never even got to try the demo in July due to fags that kept hoarding the stations.

talonmalon333

Mario is the best series. By far. Hands down.

... Or Zelda. I can't pick honestly. :P

My favorites are the Galaxy games, without a doubt. But SMB3, SMW, SM64, and NSMBWii are also excellent (though DKCR showed up that last one). I also love some of the spin-offs, like Double Dash!! and The Thousand-Year Door. I really can't think of that many bad games at all.

Can't wait to play Super Mario 3D Land.

Spark Of Spirit

Just wait until you guys see the post-game content.

I'm honestly not sure where I'd rank the game, but it's a pretty high quality game.

gunswordfist

I've never beaten a Mario game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 14, 2011, 02:42:07 PM
Just wait until you guys see the post-game content.

I'm honestly not sure where I'd rank the game, but it's a pretty high quality game.

That's awesome. I'm not gonna expect Galaxy-quality, but greatness nonetheless.

Man, what's Mario gonna do for the Wii U? I hope they haven't backed themselves into a corner.

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 15, 2011, 08:44:07 AM
I've never beaten a Mario game.

Everything makes sense now.

gunswordfist

:D What's that supposed to mean?

Spark Of Spirit

I 100%'d the game and my final time is 15:03. Keep in mind I'm also good at this genre. I don't think anyone should have issues with length.

By the way, GSF, you didn't even use the warp whistles in 3 or the secret path in World? It basically makes them 4-5 level games.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on November 15, 2011, 12:23:07 PM
I 100%'d the game and my final time is 15:03. Keep in mind I'm also good at this genre. I don't think anyone should have issues with length.

By the way, GSF, you didn't even use the warp whistles in 3 or the secret path in World? It basically makes them 4-5 level games.
I remember even with whistles, 3 raped me. And I always had limited time to play SMW since I never owned a SNES (Club Genesis) Once I think about it, I beat New Super Mario Bros. DS and I think I beat Super Mario Land 2 :sly:

talonmalon333

My list:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario World
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Does this count?)
9. Super Mario Land
10. New Super Mario Bros.
11. Super Mario Bros. 2
12. Super Mario Land 2
13. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
14. Super Mario Sunshine

All are good though. Did I miss anything?

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 15, 2011, 10:50:04 AM
:D What's that supposed to mean?

I'll let you figure that out. You're a reasonably intelligent guy.