Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Last time I checked, we only have among the most recent stuff, like Tangled, Up and TS3. I don't think we even have Cars 2 or Winnie the Pooh yet, though.

Edit: Oh shit! Monsters U. trailer is out! It already looks more fun that Brave.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 20, 2012, 10:39:40 AM
Edit: Oh shit! Monsters U. trailer is out!

I swear I thought you were referring to a Wii U game when I first read that. :P

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on June 20, 2012, 10:39:40 AM
Edit: Oh shit! Monsters U. trailer is out! It already looks more fun that Brave.

:awesome:

Oh yeah, now that looks good. Hopefully this should get them back on track, as it doesn't look like Brave is going to.

Eddy

Yeah, I'm not feeling Brave at all. It just doesn't look appealing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Being that Monster's Inc. is my personal favorite Pixar movie, also partly due to the fact that it doesn't get overrated as hell but audiences and critics alike, I'm excited for this prequel. Mike and Sully make such a great comedic duo.

Peanutbutter

I think Brave looks good.  :??: It may have a familiar formula, but I think that it looks like it will have some good humor and be entertaining. Also, looking trough Rotten Tomatoes, it now has 77%.

Avaitor

It's up to 79% now.

I don't know about you, but one of the main reasons that I'm not pumped for Brave is because I'm really sick of fairy tales. Even besides Disney's over reliance on them (seriously, give me another Lion King over another Beauty and the Beast any day), they seem to be like the next vampires in Hollywood. Brave doesn't look like it'll bring anything new to the formula.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 19, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
You guys get Disney films on Netflix?

I sometimes do, but end up buying them afterwards. Not quite the same effect with other animations.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on June 21, 2012, 11:04:54 AM
It's up to 79% now.

I don't know about you, but one of the main reasons that I'm not pumped for Brave is because I'm really sick of fairy tales. Even besides Disney's over reliance on them (seriously, give me another Lion King over another Beauty and the Beast any day), they seem to be like the next vampires in Hollywood. Brave doesn't look like it'll bring anything new to the formula.

Yeah, I'm absolutely sure that the film is solid and an entertaining family flick. The thing is, I'm just so worn down on the whole fairytale theme that I just can't get myself interested in seeing this movie. Plus, if I were to be completely honest I can't stand the character designs in this movie (same with The Incredibles). Something about them just doesn't come off right to me. I know its purposely going for a cartoony look, but....IDK, it somehow looks more obnoxious to me than fun-spirited like I think the artists and animators were going for.

Avaitor

I understand what you mean there. Pixar doesn't do human designs very well. They don't look as lame as Sid in TS1 does, but I still don't like how The Inccredibles, Up or Brave look at all. Especially Merida, who is grotesque looking, but I can't exactly put my fingers on just how.

Also, the rating was back down to 71% last time I checked. But besides what critics think, has anyone here seen it yet?

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'm just gonna go in assuming a good, 8/10 material film.

Spark Of Spirit

I might be going next week. We'll see on that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You know, as much as I've been complaining about it, I might see the film too. Not by first choice, but if any of my friends want to go see it, and there's one or two of them who do, then I wouldn't say no to tagging along. You'll know if and when I pull out a talkback.

Although really, maybe it's just because I know so few people who want to see it compared to other Pixar films, but I don't see Brave becoming a big hit. It'll definitely make its money back, but I think it might just be too niche to catch on beyond diehards. Then again, you could have expected to say the same thing about Wall*E, but that did catch on...

New blog!

Eddy

I don't want to see Brave because there's just nothing about it jumping out at me. Fairytale setting? Seen it. A girl breaking the norms of a princess to show she's just as tough as the boys? Seen it. And the people in it look really ugly and the whole thing just look unappealing to me. The Rotten Tomatoes ranking doesn't help it much, either. A friend of mine saw it and claims it was really good but I don't know.

I'll probably be waiting for it to hit Netflix.

Daxdiv

Depending on what my dad is doing to my car this week, I plan to see Brave on Monday just to live up to my tradition of seeing every Pixar film in theaters. I'll admit that Brave is one film from them that didn't grab me from it's marketing of from info I saw. It did look like it was playing it safe as far as the story goes. Hell, I'll even admit that I did enjoy Cars 2 much more than Cars 1 and that my least favorite Pixar right now is A Bug's Life. Besides, we all know that Cars 2 was just a marketing tool for Disney to make more Cars toys out of it. Remember, this is coming from the forum's resident Pokemon guru. BUY OUR TOYS! and I will say I never got the hatred for Cars movie as much as everyone else. I mean the only thing I can give points against it was the fact that the plot of Cars 1 was done already by Michael J. Fox already in Doc Hollywood.

As for designs of the humans, I think Dreamworks does humans better even before in films like Shrek. I mean I always knew that Pixar's designs are supposed to be cartoony and all, but I will say that I love the designs of the more cartoony Dreamworks humans like in How to Train Your Dragon than in  Brave.